• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another SDO purchase concern

apples23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just looking at some of the current ebay auctions on SDO (which I was looking for as an II trader)....many aren't receiving bids even at $1.99

I have some serious concerns about resale down the road. Im not looking to make money, but at this rate, it looks like there's a possibility that I might not even be able to give it away in 5 - 10 years if I know longer want it. I'm new to the TS thing, and definitely dont want to get stuck with something.

The manditory units on the other hand, seem to be in much higher demand, with lower risk of resale issues.

Am i being paranoid?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I share your concerns because I can imagine that if people aren't able to find a buyer, they'll simply not pay their MFs and allow the parent company to foreclose on them. Then who'll hold the bag for the MFs? Ultimately I fear it'll be the remaining owners.

With my MFs nearing $300/night at WKORV-N (a mandatory resort), I'm starting to worry how many years it'll take for the MFs to become so exorbitant that no one will want to buy my villa should I decide to sell.

I'm even wondering if some of these e-bay listings aren't sold by companies on behaof of SVO, Marriott, in order to dump unwanted inventory just to find someone to pay the MFs...

I know that SVO has recently advertised for jobs in their collections department. I wonder what the hit to someone's credit score would be to simply not pay their MFs. I know it's a huge red flag to foreclose on a home, but a TS? I have no idea.

apples23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Im less worried about WKORV, as presently all of the manditory resorts seem to be in demand.

SDO on the other hand, is presently in low demand. I'm really concerned about trying to get rid of it down the road.

Is anyone else concerned about future resale of voluntary properties vs manditory?

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be a lot more concerned about paying big $'s for a mandatory resort when prices are spiraling down. Those TS's have a lot farther to fall and most of them have higher maintenance fees. I wouldn't worry about SDO if you get it at the right price but be sure you buy one that is week 1-52 or a platinum week floater, don't touch an off season floater. You should have no problem getting rid of it in the future.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
With my MFs nearing $300/night at WKORV-N (a mandatory resort), I'm starting to worry how many years it'll take for the MFs to become so exorbitant that no one will want to buy my villa should I decide to sell.

In this case, what is the meaning of "a mandatory resort" :confused:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In this case, what is the meaning of "a mandatory resort" :confused:

A mandatory resort is one that has Staroptions & SVN membership on a resale. - For lots more info. and a list of the mandatory resorts, see the FAQ at the top of the board.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Im less worried about WKORV, as presently all of the manditory resorts seem to be in demand.

SDO on the other hand, is presently in low demand. I'm really concerned about trying to get rid of it down the road.

Is anyone else concerned about future resale of voluntary properties vs manditory?

Actually, WKORV has taken a terrible hit. I paid $45K for a 2 bdm. OV and it's now going for less than $30K on the resale market and prices continue to fall.

I also own an SDO unit that I only paid $2K for on the resale market.

I'm not sure what you mean about SDO being in low demand - it's REAL value is as a II exchanger. You can use it to trade into the expensive Starwood properties, for a fraction of the cost. It has a lot of value if use that way.

If I have to dump my WKORV TS someday, OUCH!

If I have to dump my SDO TS someday - not so much ouch.

I would be far more concerned about paying big bucks for a mandatory property in this economy. With timesharing, you really have to see how much value you can get out of using it and not expect to resale it for a profit or even break even. It's kind of like buying a car.

While you are looking at getting the most value out of using a TS, look closely at the MF - the MF's at WKORV are twice as much as SDO. Rising MF's also impacts resale value - since MF's at WPORV are about $2,500, you have to expect that MF's at WKORV will eventually be that high, too. At what point will it become cheaper to rent, than to own a TS? I think we are getting close.

And don't forget to look at the fact that travel to Hawaii is depressed. If people can't afford to go to Hawaii, that will also lower the rental and resale value of a Hawaii TS.

There are a lot of factors to consider.

Good luck!

Last edited:

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Denise....
Shoulda' looked there first :doh:. Somehow the term just threw me off track...

A mandatory resort is one that has Staroptions & SVN membership on a resale. - For lots more info. and a list of the mandatory resorts, see the FAQ at the top of the board.

apples23

TUG Member
Reaction score
I totally get the value as an II exchanger, and that's what Im really excited about.

It just seems to good to be true.

There are SDO auction on Ebay right now, that literally have no bids whatsoever.

I'm not concerned about taking a hit on the purchase....im only paying $600 for it (plat 1 bdrm delux)....my concern is whether or not it will be re-sellable in 5-10 years, even at $1.

I keep hearing TS horror stories of ppl getting stuck with units that they can't re-sell, and locked into MFs. The mandatory units, despite the fact that they are suffering on the resale market....are still selling, even if at a loss.

That doesn't seem to be the same case with the voluntaries. There seem to be a number of SVR and SDO units that aren't moving....even at $1. Am I missing something here?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I understand your concern, but no one has any idea where our economy or the timeshare market will be in 10 years. The TS industry is relatively new, and no one really knows what will happen to these TS's as they get to be 20 or 30 or 40 years old. Some will be renovated, some will be shut down and your ownership will end. You have made a very modest and reasonable first purchase. If the purchase and MF are not a financial hardship for you now or in the foreseeable future, then I don't think you can worry about what will happen in 10 years, because no one knows. If the economy improves, then I would expect TS values to improve. If it gets really bad, all TS's may be worthless.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
There seem to be a number of SVR and SDO units that aren't moving....even at $1. Am I missing something here?

#1: The economy. Too many units for sale (supply is much, much higher than demand).

#2: Time of year. Many of these weeks start with 09 usage, but it may be too late to reserve a good week (particularly SDO spring weeks).

#3: Many phases of SVR are currently under a special assessment. I think this is hurting prices at phases that are past the SA (eg/ Lakes) as many potential buyers aren't clear what's still forthcoming.

#1 is the biggie, of course. And no one knows when things will turn around.

Glorian

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
apples23, have you seen completed auctions on Ebay for SDO 1-52 weeks that failed to sell for $1? Don't pay any attention to current auctions that have no bid on them. Most of the bids come within the last minute of the auction and until the auction is completed the prices are meaningless.

apples23

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a number of EOY 1-52 and EY Silver seasons that haven't sold for $1, but I haven't seen an annual plat or 1-52

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise: Xlnt advice and outlook!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We own a lot of weeks, including a few at SBP, an EOY 2 bed lockoff, and a 2 bed annual that isn't a lockoff.

I wonder where our economy is heading as well, but I think that since the media partly caused the downturn of the economy, with their constant talk of how bad it was getting for the last few years, they will be doing just the opposite in 2009, by talking it up this next year. They have their own motives, but I would bet that by next year at this time, the economy will apparently have made a 180 degree turn around, at least according to the media. Perception is the key, and our economy, and our feelings about it, are guided by the media.

The housing crisis was caused by a greedy mortage insurance company, AIG, and that is real.