• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Comcast Remote

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently got a Samsung HDTV and upgraded our Comcast service to HD and we got the latest remote "Custom DVR 3 Device." I have programmed it for the TV and our old DVR. Everything works fine except for the "OK/Select" button. It seems to be unable to switch to the "TV" or "Aux". You can switch to the TV and move up and down options fine, but hit "OK/Select" and the cable light illuminates on the remote. This means the "OK/Select" signal is being sent to the Cable Box, not to the TV:eek:

I had a chat with with Comcast support and they said the remote was faulty and to get a new one, we did and the same thing happens.:mad: I suspect there is something wrong in the internals of the remote, but couldn't find anything on the INet.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers,

Paul

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Comcast provides a "code sheet" with the remote. It contains codes for many types of A/V equipment and manufacturers for use in programing the remote. I had two different code sheets with very different numbers for the same piece of equipment. I used the very latest revision, programed the controller and it only worked on some items. I called Comcast and they told me to follow the code sheet. I insisted they walk me thru the process and provide specific numbers. The remote now works properly but the numbers they gave me were different than the numbers contained on the most current sheet.

I suspect you don't have the correct codes to enter even if you read them from Comcast's code sheet.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Volume

Comcast provides a "code sheet" with the remote. It contains codes for many types of A/V equipment and manufacturers for use in programing the remote. I had two different code sheets with very different numbers for the same piece of equipment. I used the very latest revision, programed the controller and it only worked on some items. I called Comcast and they told me to follow the code sheet. I insisted they walk me thru the process and provide specific numbers. The remote now works properly but the numbers they gave me were different than the numbers contained on the most current sheet.

I suspect you don't have the correct codes to enter even if you read them from Comcast's code sheet.

Interesting. I've tried the two Sony codes provided and the cable remote will do everything with it except control the volume. I wonder if there's another code they could give me or if it's another kind of problem. I have to keep the Sony remote beside me to control volume.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Volume Control

That one I may know the answer to! The volume control is preset to only control the TV:annoyed: You need to unlock it. There are instructions in the "User Guide" that came with the remote. If you don't have that around try
http://en.wikibooks.org/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Programming_the_Remote.

Not also there are instructions in there to program a 30sec skip into the remote.:clap:

Cheers,

Paul

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remote

Thanks for advice. I will try the other codes for the remote and see what happens.

I still have the old remote from Comcast and am going to program that to the new TV and see what happens.

I am also going to try the sequence that lets the remote detect the device code.

Cheers,

Paul

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remote

J---

I almost there! It shouldn't be this hard. One of the fellows my wife works with did the same thing, just gave up. Another friend who has a home theater system; same deal.

What's bothersome is that the Comcast Tech Support doesn't seem to be able to help.:wall: These problems are not that uncommon.

Cheers,

Paul

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
What's bothersome is that the Comcast Tech Support doesn't seem to be able to help.

The only thing surprising about that statement is that you actually expected them to be able to help. Most cable company, internet providers, and phone company "help desks" don't know squat, in my humble experience.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Problem Solved

All,

It is fixed. As it turns out not only is the volume locked to the TV, the channel control is locked to the cable box.:eek: I am reading though the channel control lock, which includes the numeric key pad, CH+, CH-, Enter, and Last. Now I am gazing, in my most loving fashion, at this new remote, and note that there is no "Enter" key. OMG, it hits me: the "Enter" key is actually there, but is operating undercover with the alias "OK/Select". Could it be? Could it be that the instructions for a piece of electronics were in error; that the instruction were not totally accurate!

I had do stop and rest. My heart was pounding, hands shaking, I was sweating, I dare not stand up on my weakened and shaking legs. I was able to gain my composure finally and with great trepidation pick up this new piece of electronics. I dried my other hand and methodically entered the sequence to unlock the channel control. The sequence completed, there was an eerie silence, an air of anticipation. Again I had to compose myself to try the now unlocked sequence.

I couldn't put it off any longer, I had to gut it through. I carefully aimed the remote at the TV and pressed "Power". It came on, (OK not a big deal, but I wasn't going backwards). I navigated to one of the TV setup menus and now I was ready for the moment of truth. I gripped the remote tightly, and using the first finger on my left hand, I pressed the "OK/Select" (nee Enter) key.

I fell back to couch, aghast: IT WORKED, the menu item was selected. Oh joy, Oh rapture!!!!! Quickly I moved to the old VDR, and yes, yes, yes, "OK/Select" (nee Enter) worked there too!!!!:cheer:

I frozen in the moment. Could this have actually happened, was I dreaming? No it was reality, I was sure of it. I yelled at my wife to bring the camera and record this moment. She came running in thinking that there were deer in the backyard or pehaps one of the coyotes or wild turkeys. I told her of the great event. She muttered a four letter anglo-saxon euphemism, and some other phrases, which I dare not repeat, and ended with something that sounded like "Get a Life"! Little did she know I had life!!!! I had a Comcast Custom DVR 3 Device that worked! It doesn't get any better than this.

Now for a nice glass of vino in celebration. I am considering having a banner made to hang on the garage, but the wife is not so enthusiastic. She'll come around. For now, I am just going to enjoy a functioning "OK/Select" (nee Enter) key on my remote.

Doug: re Comcast support: OK I admit to weak moment.:eek:

Cheers,

Paul