• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Prevent Bank Robberies - Remove your Hat

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I just stopped by our local branch of Bank of America today to cash a small check. I've been a customer of Bank of America for several years, but rarely use the local branch because it's too small...too busy...long waits.

While at the teller the Bank Manager approached me and asked me to remove my baseball cap. She explained that they started this new procedure to prevent bank robbery.

I told her "No Thanks", I'll leave my hat on. They cashed my checks anyway.

Of course, it's an identification issue. If they want to lock the bank doors and require a photo ID or Bank of America Card to get in, that'd be ok. Somehow, I don't think hat removal will prevent too many robberies.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I just stopped by our local branch of Bank of America today to cash a small check. I've been a customer of Bank of America for several years, but rarely use the local branch because it's too small...too busy...long waits.

While at the teller the Bank Manager approached me and asked me to remove my baseball cap. She explained that they started this new procedure to prevent bank robbery.

I told her "No Thanks", I'll leave my hat on. They cashed my checks anyway.

Of course, it's an identification issue. If they want to lock the bank doors and require a photo ID or Bank of America Card to get in, that'd be ok. Somehow, I don't think hat removal will prevent too many robberies.

I've believe there are two kinds of robbers. Those that just want the money and don't intend to hurt anyone and those that intend to hurt anyone they see as in their way. If it's BOA's policy to have employee's approach someone who might be wanting to rob the bank and they meet the second type of robber, I wonder what sort of liability that would pose to BOA?

If you're wondering how/why I decided there are two types of robbers, it comes from personal experience. Years ago I worked at convenience stores. I was robbed one Sunday afternoon at gunpoint. The guy just wanted the money, he got the money and left. A few years later an co-worker met the second sort of robber. This guy walked into the store, walked around the counter, reached over my co-workers shoulder from behind and stabbed him in the stomach. As he lay there the robber simply stepped over him and took the money. There was no warning. If you're wondering, my co-worker did survive the attack.

I believe most robbers just want the money and could be scared away by the request. But, there are those few crazy's out there that would just pull out a gun and fire. I wouldn't want to take a chance at being shot or stabbed just to protect someone else's money unless I was being paid specifically for that function.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
they get REAL excited when you walk in with a motorcycle helmet on.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the request to remove your baseball cap is so that the bill cannot block or shade your face from the security cameras.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
they get REAL excited when you walk in with a motorcycle helmet on.

And they get even more excited when you walk in with a mask over your face.

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the request to remove your baseball cap is so that the bill cannot block or shade your face from the security cameras.

Yes, I'm sure that's part of the reason. However, when I see the security camera shots on TV after robberies, most aren't very helpful. I don't think the absence of a hat would add much help in locating suspects. Next, we'll be expected to remove hats everywhere. What's next will I be banned from my Branch Bank because I have a mustache, or beard?

I just don't like a Branch Bank Manager setting an individual policy, that's a Corporate decision and a very risky one from a discrimination standpoint. What If a hat was worn as part of my religion?

It's just a foolish policy that won't do much.

Incidently, I read once that Convenience Store Clerks jobs are considered among the most dangerous that exist. It doesn't surprise me, but I don't think they have people remove hats. Not yet...anyway.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's for the security camera. I vaguely remember one bank I used in Florida during the 1 year I was there that had a sign to take off your sunglasses to enter the bank.

-David

anne1125

TUG Member
Reaction score
I work in a bank. I would appreciate it if people would cooperate with these types of requests. Most robbers don't want to be approached or have eye contact with employees.

If removing sunglasses or hats for a couple of minutes saves a teller from the trama of a robbery it's worth it.

Thanks for listening.

Anne

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anne,

The people that are likely to comply aren't the ones that are going to rob the bank.

-David

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
The bank branch I go into most has a sign to remove hats and sunglasses. While I don't have a problem with the hat part, my sunglasses are also my regular glasses so if I remove them I can't see a thing! They do change color eventually (if I'm coming from sunlight where they've turned dark) but not that quickly, and I don't really want to lose my place in line just for that to happen.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anne,

The people that are likely to comply aren't the ones that are going to rob the bank.

-David

True - but unless the unlikely ones do take off their hats/sunglasses, how does anyone know which WOULD take them off and which wouldnt?? It really doesnt seem like an unreasonable request to remove hats/sunglasses while indoors. I'm sure Miss Manners would agree also :)

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I work in a bank. I would appreciate it if people would cooperate with these types of requests. Most robbers don't want to be approached or have eye contact with employees.

If removing sunglasses or hats for a couple of minutes saves a teller from the trama of a robbery it's worth it.

Thanks for listening.

Anne

Here's an easy solution.

Simply have a Bank representative greet customers at the entry with a friendly greeting, rather than asking customers to remove their hats, glasses, shoes, coats, sweaters, or whatever while they are standing in line for services.

Or, lock the doors and require a scanned bank ID card from customers.

Frankly, It's doubtful the practice of asking people to remove their hats will lower bank robberies. There are better, more customer-friendly solutions.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, the better solution would be to upgrade the security systems so that it doesn't matter if you are wearing a hat, sunglasses or a disguise. Either that, or just close the branches.

Miss Manners? lol. Did you really want to get into that? Where are the banks manners towards their customers or society in general? Really, let's not go there.

Frankly, It's doubtful the practice of asking people to remove their hats will lower bank robberies. There are better, more customer-friendly solutions.

I agree. The point is to be able to identify the bad guys after the fact.

-David

Last edited:

AKE

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
How about a lady wearing a wide-brimmed hat? Or someone of a faith where headgear is mandatory? Or someone with a hooded sweatshirt? Where do you draw the line? I would never use an establishment which started setting a dress code because it is always discriminatory.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about a lady wearing a wide-brimmed hat? Or someone of a faith where headgear is mandatory? Or someone with a hooded sweatshirt? Where do you draw the line? I would never use an establishment which started setting a dress code because it is always discriminatory.

IF they ask the men to remove the hats it is only fair that women should follow that same rule. While I am not sure WHERE to draw the line, there does have to be one. Unless someone is to be allowed in with hooded sweatshirt, ski mask with dark sunglasses ...

And I think we do need to be careful about discrimination while setting dress codes but I think there needs to be some basic rules.

Brett

Reaction score
Thanks for listening.
Anne

Anne,

-David

right!
if you ask someone to remove their hat and they turn out to be a robber, at that point it's too late, the "trauma of a robbery" is already there.
I suppose there is the issue of security cameras getting a good view without a hat but still, the policy doesn't seem too customer friendly

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Asking someone to remove their cap in the bank for safety reasons just not that big of a deal!

Seems ridiculous to make a big deal of saying no just to prove your point what ever it was!:crash:

It is also not good to leave your car running even though I never knew if it was a law or just request.

Years ago I left my car running at a Wells Fargo because of a battery problem. While standing in line at the ATM two police cars rolled up and blocked my car and after talking to me made me shut it down and told me why. They told me a running car in front of a bank is a red flag to possible problem inside the bank. :rolleyes:

At a Wells Fargo Bank six months ago there was a car backed into the space in front of the bank and a Hispanic driver sitting there listening to the radio well his buddies were inside the bank. Wasn't five minutes and three police cars rolled in and checked him and his buddies out.:shrug:

Don't know if this had anything to do with bank being robbed couple days later or not. A Haspanic man walked in to the bank and robbed it and got away around noon. People told police he walked back out into the Save Mart parking lot and drove off. From reports I had heard it sounded like same person as was in the car.:confused:

In this messed up world taking a ball cap off when asked shouldn't even be a issue! Its just no big deal and might just save someone's life down the road!

PHIL

Last edited:

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
To each his own. I think it's a ridiculous request. That's why I refused. But, I posted here to see if anyone would bring up the discrimination issue. This type of practice could put the bank at a lawsuit risk for discrimination, or possibly possibly profiling (if you can sue for profiling). It's just not a decision a Branch Bank Manager should make without corporate approval.

It's a small issue and simple request that has the potential for becoming a very large issue. Frankly, it bothers me that the police would surround a car with Hispanics listening to the radio and question them without cause...that's about as close to racial profiling as you can get.

Profiling may seem reasonable, but I think it's illegal...isn't it?

Last edited:

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
To each his own. I think it's a ridiculous request. That's why I refused. But, I posted here to see if anyone would bring up the discrimination issue. This type of practice could put the bank at a lawsuit risk for discrimination, or possibly possibly profiling (if you can sue for profiling). It's just not a decision a Branch Bank Manager should make without corporate approval.

It's a small issue and simple request that has the potential for becoming a very large issue. Frankly, it bothers me that the police would surround a car with Hispanics listening to the radio and question them without cause...that's about as close to racial profiling as you can get.

Some how I'm not surprised you would think it is a ridiculous request!

I think I made it clear why the cops showed up and why years earlier I was question because my car was left running while I was doing banking.

Even if a car running is a red flag what would anyone think when a car pulls in front of the bank and backs in and all but the driver go into the bank while the driver sits in the car with engine running.:crash:

The police would have checked this out no matter who was driving and they have no way of knowing race when the drove in.:rolleyes:

Seems your more interested in some kind of discrimination discussion than just pure safety or consideration for anyone else.:wall:

PHIL

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

It isnt discrimination if the bank asks every customer to remove their hat. Dress codes that arent based on skin color, religion etc are perfectly legal and are not discrimination in any way.

Profiling is not illegal unless it discriminates based on skin color,religion etc.

This is the type a decision that a bank manager gets paid for and it is very reasonable. The vast majority of bank robbery suspects wear some sort of hat to hide their identity. Asking customers to remove their hat makes it less likely that a bank robber will choose that bank to rob. Its very possible that this decision was made at the corportate level after being a recommended by the police and/or corporate security.

Wasnt there a time when it was simple etiquette for a man to remove his hat when he was inside?

There are many simple, every day practices that can help prevent crime. If removing your hat may help prevent a crime, is it that big of a deal ?

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
In this messed up world taking a ball cap off when asked shouldn't even be a issue! Its just no big deal and might just save someone's life down the road!
PHIL

Do you honestly, really, truly believe that taking off a hat or sunglasses in a bank is going to save somebody's life, Phil?

I loved you story about how the police decided you were a threat because you left your car running and how they used racial profiling to harass a group of law abiding Mexicans.

What was the name of that town? Keystone?

-David

Last edited:

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
The vast majority of bank robbery suspects wear some sort of hat to hide their identity.

I just love it when people make up things and post them as if they were facts.

Oh please mister bank robber, before you use that gun to rob my tellers, will you please remove your hat and sunglasses and stand here on the red dot on the floor so the cameras can take a picture of you? Thank you and please come rob us anytime, since you were so cooperative with our security procedure. By the way, here's that free toaster we're giving to all our best customers.

-David

Last edited:

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just love it when people make up things and post them as if they were facts.

Oh please mister bank robber, before you use that gun to rob my tellers, will you please remove your hat and sunglasses and stand here on the red dot on the floor so the cameras can take a picture of you? Thank you and please come rob us anytime, since you were so cooperative with our security procedure. By the way, here's that free toaster we're giving to all our best customers.

-David

I made that up? I spent enough time in law enforcement and dealt with enough criminals to tell you that is a fact. Telling me that I made it up was uncalled for as was most of your post.

Not being in law enforcement you wouldnt understand the reasoning so I will try to explain in a way you might understand.

Bank robbery suspects in general have a routine. Disrupting their routine in any way, however small, is a deterrent. A bank robber in general does not want to attract the attention of the entire bank. He wants one teller, the $$ and get out as quickly as possible. If a bank robber knows that wearing a hat may attract additional attention while in the bank the suspect may not choose that bank. And of course he doesnt want to be seen on camera. Some banks will also have an employee greeting customers at or near the entrance and ask at that time for them to remove their hat as well.

Here in NY there has been an increase in bank robberies over the past two years and this is one deterrent that has been used and recommended by law enforcement.

Here is one article. https://www.mobankers.com/uploadedF...Products_and_Services/Documents/NoHatsKit.pdf

Google something like "removing hat bank robbery deterrent" will show you more.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Whussup With Indoor Hats & Standards Of Behavior ?

In an oddball & semi-goofy way, this No Hat No & Stick-Up idea is so crazy that it just might make some sense.

Until recently (& maybe still at some) public high schools around here had prominent signs on the outsides of all the exterior doors saying: This Is A NO HAT Building. Please Remove Your Hat While You Are Inside. Hats Are Not Allowed To Be Worn Inside This Building (or words to that effect).

I don't think the No Hats rule has anything to do with the school administrator's fashion likes & dislikes.

Who knew ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​