• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Firefox & Google help needed

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
I use Google (toolbar) for my main search engine. When I have the IE browser open & type in a web address in the Google toolbar, like "www.rci.com", then hit enter, the RCI page opens up, just like I'm used to. But when using Firefox if I do a Google search for the same words (www.rci.com) a new page opens showing the 10s of 1000's of choices available. :( How do I change the settings in Firefox to make a new window open of the website I typed in? Make sense? :)

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Sorry, Phil, I'm a real proponent of Firefox, but I don't know beans about the Google bar.

If you type www.rci.com into the Firefox URL/Address bar, it should take you straight there.

If you know the address already, why would you be entering it into any sort of search facility?

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
A google search is supposed to show you the thousands of possibilities. If you want to go straight to a site and you know what it is, don't type its URL in the google box at the right; instead type it in the box to its left, i.e. the one at the top center of the window.

If you are using google, you can choose whether to do a search or take you to the first choice, with the "I'm feeling lucky" button. I've never used "I'm feeling lucky", but perhaps your preferences on IE are set for "lucky" and they aren't set that way on Firefox?

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nice avatar Doug. :) Yes, I know I can type into the tool bar and it does take me right to the site. I was just curious as to why it didn't when I typed into Google toolbar. Thanks, Santa. :)

Sorry, Phil, I'm a real proponent of Firefox, but I don't know beans about the Google bar.

If you type www.rci.com into the Firefox URL/Address bar, it should take you straight there.

If you know the address already, why would you be entering it into any sort of search facility?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Nice avatar Doug. :) Yes, I know I can type into the tool bar and it does take me right to the site. I was just curious as to why it didn't when I typed into Google toolbar. Thanks, Santa. :)

Because it is a search engine, so it will find all possible choices for your search.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Because it is a search engine, so it will find all possible choices for your search.

You missed the point, Denise. Please reread my OP. While using IE browser & Google toolbar I can type into Google a partial website, like rci.com or www.rci.com, click enter and the search takes me right to rci.com--no list of 1000s of search results.

When I use Firefox & the Google toolbar, and type in a website, like rci.com, I get the normal results you'd expect--1000s of search results.

Basic question is why does Google search act differently with IE browser vs. Firefox browser? I tried messing with my setting in Google but can't find an answer. So, I'll just do as Doug suggested and type my website searches into the Firefox toolbar. :)

The "feeling lucking" option is only available when searching from www.google.com, not from the toolbar.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
What, exactly, are you referring to as the "Google toolbar"? In Firefox, by default there is a small search bar, where one of the search choices is Google (click the little down-arrow beside the Google icon to see what others are installed on your system). But Google on its own also has toolbars you can install in your browser. I've assumed you were talking about Google's own bar.

If you're talking about Firefoxe's search bar, then the default Google search is indeed one that returns all results. You can easily add a Google "Feeling Lucky" search - click here while in Firefox, and scroll down to section 29. There are literally thousands of pre-configured searches you can add via the Mycroft Project.

If you're really talking about the Google bar, your question is probably best directed to Google.

Last edited:

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Doug,
Using Firefox I'm talking about the small search bar & I use Google, not the stand alone Google toolbar. Now I realize that when I use IE I have the big Google toolbar installed (but shrunk to the same size and place as the small one in your diagram) & it takes me right to the website if I type in enough info. I'll look at your link. Thanks Doug.

What, exactly, are you referring to as the "Google toolbar"? In Firefox, by default there is a small search bar, where one of the search choices is Google (click the little down-arrow beside the Google icon to see what others are installed on your system). But Google on its own also has toolbars you can install in your browser. I've assumed you were talking about Google's own bar.

If you're talking about Firefoxe's search bar, then the default Google search is indeed one that returns all results. You can easily add a Google "Feeling Lucky" search - click here while in Firefox, and scroll down to section 29. There are literally thousands of pre-configured searches you can add via the Mycroft Project.

If you're really talking about the Google bar, your question is probably best directed to Google.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
You missed the point, Denise. Please reread my OP. While using IE browser & Google toolbar I can type into Google a partial website, like rci.com or www.rci.com, click enter and the search takes me right to rci.com--no list of 1000s of search results.

When I use Firefox & the Google toolbar, and type in a website, like rci.com, I get the normal results you'd expect--1000s of search results.

In firefox you will get the same results as you expect if you type the partial name into the address box. (not the search box).

For example, try typing just tugbbs into the FF address/url text box and hit enter now. Also try rci.com

-David

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In firefox you will get the same results as you expect if you type the partial name into the address box. (not the search box).

For example, try typing just tugbbs into the FF address/url text box and hit enter now. Also try rci.com

-David

Ya, I knew that but was trying to get the same results in the little toolbar on the right. :) It's all good now. Hope to see you next month in Maui, David.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
In FF the search box is really a search box, and typing something in there takes you to search results.

I guess in IE, it's maybe a search box, maybe not.

They are different apps, and they work differently. :)

You can also type multiple words in the FF url text box, and it does the right thing.

-David