• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Give it up

Ron & Maureen

TUG Member
Reaction score
need some advice, tried selling, that didn't work. at a point now where we don't want timeshare any longer. we are willing to give it up. can this be done, if so, any suggestions on how to go about doing this.
thanks
ron

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Put it on ebay for $1.00, but it still may not sell.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Deedback?

need some advice, tried selling, that didn't work. at a point now where we don't want timeshare any longer. we are willing to give it up. can this be done, if so, any suggestions on how to go about doing this.
thanks
ron

You might consider contacting your resort HOA (do so in writing) to inquire if they will accept a "deedback". Maybe, maybe not --- but you won't know unless you ask (...in writing).

The suggested "eBay for $1" route suggested is certainly an option, but if the deedback route is available it will be much quicker, less hassle, no backtracking bidders with cold feet, no closing costs (although the HOA might ask for $100 for their efforts in deed preparation and recording fees).

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you use ebay, spend some time on your ad

If you use ebay put some time and effort into your ad and have someone who is good with graphics help you if you are graphics challenged. I have seen too many amateur timeshare ads wither on the vine on ebay. Often an amateur ebay ad will simply have ten lines of text with no pictures at all saying why the person no longer wants the timeshare but that they have enjoyed it for ten years and it allowed them to take trips to Puerta Vallarata and Orlando. Then they attempt a pity party saying that they are too old or sick to enjoy the timeshare anymore. Is it any wonder that that sort of ad leads to a timeshare that either does not sell or sells for a very low price? Pictures and enthusiastic descriptions help to sell timeshares. So take a look at similar resorts or even the same resort and make sure your ad is up to snuff. Further, you might realize that if you really want to sell, it will probably be easier to do so in March or April. December and January is the hardest time to sell as maintenance fees have arrived and more people are looking to sell. Good luck. Funtime

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might also be able to donate it. One organization frequently mentioned is "Donate for a Cause". You can only do this if the timeshare is owned free and clear, and you are current on all fees/assessments. They will not take the week if they don't think they can sell it.

It's not going to be the best possible return, but it is easy.

http://www.donateforacause.org/

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Welcome to TUG! :hi:

TUG has a FREE Bargain Basement Board where you can give away your week. Click on the Timeshare Marketplace link at the top of the page and create an Ad with the price of $1 and it will automatically go on the Bargain Basement Board. Stipulate that the new owner pays all closing costs.

The article at the top of the page "How to Sell Your Timeshare," also has info. about how to give away or donate a TS.

Good luck!

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
thanks
ron

I responded to an ad on craigslist in which someone was offering their timeshare for closing costs. I found an inexpensive transfer company, did my due diligence, and now the week is ours. The previous owner even made a reservation for us before the new deed was recorded.

So you could try craigslist, too.

AKE

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I hate to be negative, but your chances of success for any of the preceding are largely dependent on the location, calibre of the resort (e.g. GC, RID etc), season that you own in (or week), size of unit, maintenance fees (very important as these are now escalating at an ever increasing rate it seems), any known special assessments (or required improvements which could force a special assessment, etc etc). There are lots of timeshares today that no-one will take over, even for free but it never hurts to try. If all else fails, why not enjoy it instead as you still have to pay the maintenance fees until you can tansfer ownership to someone else.

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is something to be said for learning how to use your timeshare as effectively as possible. I have an EOY Ridgepointe in Tahoe that I was considering selling but changed my mind. This year I split it off and reserved President's Week. The studio was exchanged in II for 3/21/09 at Marriott Newport Villas and the one bed was exchanged for the same resort in the beginning of November of 08. I still have the AC to play with. Funtime

Karen P

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks
ron

Which resort do you own?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Which resort do you own?

Asking this sort of question could turn this thread into an add, which would be against TUG policy. While many of us may be curious these sort of discussions must be in general without the specific's of the resort mentioned. Otherwise, TUG would be run over with adds in this area rather than advice.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
thanks
ron

I think the problem we see with most people wanting to get rid of their timeshare is unreal expectations. Most have listened to what the salesman told them and believed they were buying real estate that had real estate values. With timeshare that's about as far from the actual truth as you can get. Timeshares go DOWN in value as soon as you sign on the dotted line.

How have you tried to sell your timeshare in the past? Have you fallen for an upfront fee company that charges a listing fee, allows you to set a fee similar to what you paid for your timeshare and then doesn't do a thing to help you sell it other than list it on their website? Have you tried listing it on E-bay, Craigslist or Redweek and, if so, have you been asking a price similar to what you paid for the timeshare, a price in the thousands or a price in the hundreds?

If you own a timeshare that was developed by one of the major hotel groups, you'll probably get a better price but, as a general rule, you still won't get anywhere near what you paid. If you purchased from someone other than a major hotel chain you'll probably get even less.

As an example, we own Marroitt timeshare and timeshare for smaller non-hotel affiliated developers. If we sold both we'd still take a loss but, because Marriott has a consistant quality and benefits Marriott's tend to sell at higher prices, although still at a loss.

We paid $19,900 for our silver season Marriott Ocean Pointe week. I've been seeing them sell on the resale market in the neighborhood of $5,000 to $6,000 and that was BEFORE the credit implosion. We also own at a resort called Polo Towers in Las Vegas. The strip view 2 bedroom unit we own there cost us $14,900 back in 1999. If I were to sell it today, I've seen similar units sell between $100 and $500. I've seen some listed on E-bay that didn't even get a bid at $1.

If you've been expecting to sell your timeshare for anything near what you paid for it, you'll have to rethink the value of your resort week. It's probably not worth what you've been asking. If, on the other hand, you've been asking vey little for it, including giving it away, and still haven't been able to move it, then you may just be a victim of the times right now or, a salesman sold you the dream of the expensive timeshare week but sold you something that cost less money and delivered far less than the dream being sold. If that's the case you may have trouble even giving it away if it's a poor week at a poor resort that doesn't give the owner much in the way of value.

JRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice thread, it appears that I may be in the same situation with a unit I've owned for 10 years ...... I'll just keep my every other year to the island .....