• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI points questions

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a few ??'s

I put a week on hold recently.. paid the exchange fee, then I decided I didn;t want the week and just let the hold expire. Normally on the weeks side, they keep the $$ in the account and it shows on the account page.

What happens in points? I don't see any balance listed anywhere? Do they automatically refund me?

I was checking for last minute weeks for So Cal Coastal in weeks and points.
I saw quite a few in weeks, but nothing in points.. on a weeks search?
Also, when I searched a points resort.. Carlsbad Seapointe came up for 1/11/09 .. but it was listed for 36,000 points? I thought under 45 days it was 9000 points?

thanks for any help

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I read here on TUG that when doing a Points for Points resort exchange

within the 45-day period that you have to call RCI to get the discounted points amount for the exchange. I have only done the points for weeks within the 45-day or less period. Whenever I've put something on hold in Points, I have always ended up canceling it instead of letting the hold drop off. However, unlike in weeks when I put something on hold and it is charged to my credit card and then refunded when I request the refund, that hasn't happened with my Points holds. There is never a charge to my credit card nor is it necessary to request a refund, which is a feature I like. I don't like the fact that if you do a 45-day or less points for points exchange that you have to call RCI to get the discounted points however. Also, about not seeing availability in S. California in Weeks, you may want to put in the individual resort IDs instead of using the area search. For awhile I was searching the Shenandoah Valley area and could see availability in Weeks using a Weeks search, but there would be nothing in Weeks when doing a Points search. I think it must be some type of glitch. Because of some help from a TUGGER or two, I tried putting in the IDs instead of doing an area search and the weeks were available doing a Points search. There seems to be a few glitches on the Points account side and it could use some improvements. Hopefully like Weeks, an improved site is in the future.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a few ??'s

I put a week on hold recently.. paid the exchange fee, then I decided I didn;t want the week and just let the hold expire. Normally on the weeks side, they keep the $$ in the account and it shows on the account page.

What happens in points? I don't see any balance listed anywhere? Do they automatically refund me?

I was checking for last minute weeks for So Cal Coastal in weeks and points.
I saw quite a few in weeks, but nothing in points.. on a weeks search?
Also, when I searched a points resort.. Carlsbad Seapointe came up for 1/11/09 .. but it was listed for 36,000 points? I thought under 45 days it was 9000 points?

thanks for any help

As noted in the previous post, you aren't actually charged when using points to put a week on hold (unlike in Weeks).

1/3 of the socal resorts are in points so those will not show up in a weeks search with points. Those are also typically the ones you will see most often in weeks so that's why you didn't see much

There is no discount in points when searching for points resorts. It always uses the regular points schedule. That's why your CSP showed 36K points. The discounted 9K or less points only applies to booking a Weeks week with points.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
"Instant Exchange" Is Just For Points Reservations At Weeks Timeshares.

I think I read here on TUG that when doing a Points for Points resort exchange within the 45-day period that you have to call RCI to get the discounted points amount for the exchange.
I don't think that's right.

Instant Exchange -- a full-week reservation for no more than 9,000 points when it's made within 45 days of check-in -- is offered only for reservations at RCI Weeks timeshares.

For exchange reservations into RCI Points timeshares, the full points-value is charged even if I reserve in the morning for check-in that same afternoon.

Go figure.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

philsfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's right.

Instant Exchange -- a full-week reservation for no more than 9,000 points when it's made within 45 days of check-in -- is offered only for reservations at RCI Weeks timeshares.

For exchange reservations into RCI Points timeshares, the full points-value is charged even if I reserve in the morning for check-in that same afternoon.

Go figure.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

That is my experience, too. Over a year ago, there was a bug in their code for a couple of months where the weeks side last minute exhanges were not showing the lower value but that was fixed.