• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney, anyone?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Ok, so now that DVC is moving to RCI and we "country bumpkins" :)D to Rick / aka ricoba) who own an RCI-affiliated Hilton property will now be able to trade into DVC properties, do you think we will have good luck doing so? It has been mentioned that HGVC generally has very good trading power in RCI, but do you think there will be a decent amount of supply?

Kurt

Last edited:

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I have an II account, and if DVC deposits what they currently deposit in II than you should at least be able to get a studio off season week. I've seen some of those available.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the thread I wanted to start, but it seemed that maybe some of the DVC people were down right "hostile" to anything other than DVC!:D ;)

I really don't know if I would trade my Hilton to get into a DVC.

From what I have read in the other thread, it would seem that most DVC members don't trade, they just go to Disney every year, so I don't know how much trade availability there will be.

I would assume as well that Disney would want the preferential treatment for their members that Hilton gets in RCI, so I am not sure how that will work out either.

I guess I always knew that Disney was primarily in and around Disneyworld, but when I looked at the DVC site, all their clubs are there except two.....and I thought HGVC had limited locations! :D

I know they are building here in Anaheim at/near the Grand Californian Hotel onsite at Disneyland, so that may be nice for a day or two get away, since it's so close. Then they announced a new club near the Marriott on Oahu, but we have the HHV, which I quite like...and I really don't want to go to Hawaii, to spend time with Mickey (sorry to the DVC loyalists).

So, I really don't know if there will be a benefit to me one way or another.

I can understand the Disney "lovers" (others may use harsher terms :p ), being upset about the new plan. But I personally don't get the Disney magic thing. We have been annual pass holders for a few years, and like to go visit Disneyland semi frequently. I like the feel of being at Disney, but I also like the feel of a lot of places I have been in life.

We have also stayed at the Grand Californian and had meetings there a couple of times, and have eaten there as well more than once. While I think the hotel is nice, it's still just a hotel, characters/cast members aside. I have received no better or no worse customer service at a Disney venue than I have at any other professional location.

Just my two cents....

luckybunny

Reaction score
not to mention that Disney resorts has the WORST food ever and at an outrageous price! I dined there twice during Christmas week, and both were the biggest disappointment of my trip!

I also don't get the Disney magic, never did even when my kids were young. I took my 11 year old there the year before and he would not have gone to Disney without those fast track ticket thing we got from DVC timeshare presentation :p

If I ever go back to Orlando again, I would go to Universal Studio and stay at their hotel on site. The front of the line benefit beats Disney's early entrance any time.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
not to mention that Disney resorts has the WORST food ever and at an outrageous price! I dined there twice during Christmas week, and both were the biggest disappointment of my trip!.

We have frequented the Story Teller Cafe at the Grand Californian a number of times. On previous visits we have enjoyed it quite a bit, though it is pricey for a simple meal. But on our last visit the food was just not good and the service quality had dropped as well, it was a big disappointment, since it was a birthday party. :(

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When my oldest worked at Disneyland a couple years ago, I was amazed that they have a couple of hidden cast member cafeterias with cooks who will make them darn near anything short order, for reasonable if not down right inexpensive pricing.

He used to rave about a BBQ Beef sandwhich he would get on his meal break for under $6 with a drink. As a teen part-time employee I think he earned about $8.50/hr working the various stores they assigned him to, so it was in D-land's interest to offer something affordable and nice to their low paid workers.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
This is the thread I wanted to start, but it seemed that maybe some of the DVC people were down right "hostile" to anything other than DVC!:D ;)
I really enjoyed your post over on the exchange forum :D and that inspired me to start up this one. I had to bite my tongue a few times when posting a response there. :ignore: Some DVC owners are very passionate about their ownership... :D

I would be interested in trying an exchange to DVC -- we have a young daughter that was really into the whole Disney thing last time we were there, and it might be nice to be a bit closer / on site.

Given that HGVC members get regular RCI weeks for a discount compared to HGVC weeks, I kind of doubt that we would get that same discount for DVC weeks, IMO. But I do like having the option to get into a DVC property now w/o having to go through an independent exchange company (such as SFX), which can be very hit-and-miss.

Kurt

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You know what's going to happen though...

RCI will start renting DVC packages and the new thread on RCI forums will be how there is no inventory to be had in weeks or points.

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, I enjoyed Disneyland and Disney World. I plan to take my retirement vaction in Disney World. However, I tend to visit during the low seasons (I hate the crowds and long lines). i.e when the majority of kids are in school. (My son school in Hawaii have weird breaks compared to the mainland. They take a 1 week break in the beginning of Oct, a long X'mas break, and a spring break in Mar). Needless to say, I am kind of excited that DVC will be exclusively with RCI. My stay at the Beach Club resort was excellent (back in 2001).

However, before I can make judgement about the RCI arangement with DVC I would need a few question answered. Since I have not stayed in the Hilton TS around FL, how convient is it to get to the theme parks, assuming no rental car? What type of inventory will we see, if any? I like taking extended family with me, so if the only inventory that is presented are studios and 1 bdrm, that will not work for me.

tidefan

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing to note that may pertain to HGVC. DVC has always had a regional block so that any Orlando resorts could not exchange into DVC. My guess is that this will pertain to RCI as well. Therefore a HGVC Flamingo or Hawaii week for instance could likely pull DVC, but HGVC Sea World or International Drive will not.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
RCI doesn't have a regional block, but it doesn't give much trade power to Orlando weeks. Hilton probably has higher trading power, and I would hope so! I just wish they would dump that 1-in-4 rule for the HGVC properties. I am wanting to stay at the Hiltons much more often than I am able.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I just wish they would dump that 1-in-4 rule for the HGVC properties. I am wanting to stay at the Hiltons much more often than I am able.

How does the 1-in-4 rule work for HGVC properties?
Is it by destination/location or at a resort level? So for example, if you exchanged into SeaWorld can you exchange into International Dr the following year?

Thanks

tidefan

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI doesn't have a regional block, but it doesn't give much trade power to Orlando weeks. Hilton probably has higher trading power, and I would hope so! I just wish they would dump that 1-in-4 rule for the HGVC properties. I am wanting to stay at the Hiltons much more often than I am able.

RCI doesn't have a regional block now, but don't be surprised if that changes. I would be surprised if DVC relaxed this as they have always been somewhat adamant about this. IIRC, DVC was one of the only regional blocks in II, as no Orlando area II resorts were allowed to exchange into the WDW DVC's though they could exchange into HHI or Vero. I would wager that in the negotiations for DVC to come over to RCI, they probably will have RCI institute this.

Until more details are released, we really won't know what the exact details of DVC's relationship with RCI will look like. We don't know if it will be points or weeks or a mixture of the two, but I doubt they moved over to RCI for less privileges than it enjoyed with II. I would also fathom to guess that DVC will institute a 1 in 4/5 rule for the system...

Last edited: