• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to buy best value now!

Lazarescu

TUG Member
Reaction score
More than any other factor timeshare value (cost-per-night) is determine by the annual maintenance fees. The problem is that even if you buy a resale, the seller does not control the annual fees. So you assume this annual big liability, probably the main reason the seller wants to sell!

Would you buy a house now, just because it has zero down ignoring the annual costs? Probably not! In the same way, a smart shopper will not accept even a FREE timeshare if it has high annual fees. It's a liability for life.

Even if you can get a FREE timeshare with low maintenance, beware! Most cheap timeshares have low or no trading value at all. Simply put, it will not take you where you WANT to go.

The avarage annual maintenance for a 2 bedrooms suite at a Gold Crown or 5 stars resort in U.S. or Mexico is $800-$2000.

Why pay this if you can pay only $350 and enjoy the same vacations in the same locations? After all, it's not where you own, but the vacations you get!

Instead of paying at $50k-$70k for a 2 bedroom at a luxury resort, or buy resale at $20k -$25k + $1500 annual fees, you can pay only $10k + $350 and get the same vacations in the same locations.

As $350 is less than one night's cost in a 5 star hotel, and you get 7 nights each year, in essence you secure "7 nights for the price of one" for life!

The secret? I buy South African timeshare with the highest trading value and the lowest maintenance fee from a company in California. My cost-per-night are ($350+$165 exchange fee)/7 = $73. The resort often charges for the same villa $600 - $1000 a night!!

When I go to the Hilton Grand vacation Club in Hawaii or Las Vegas, the Sheraton Vistana, the Westin in Cabo or the Grand Mayan in Mexico and I know that others pay 5-10 times more - well, that's what happiness is!

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Instead of paying at $50k-$70k for a 2 bedroom at a luxury resort, or buy resale at $20k -$25k + $1500 annual fees, you can pay only $10k + $350 and get the same vacations in the same locations.
Welcome to TUG. The idea of owning and trading resorts in South Africa was a huge topic around here some 6-8 years ago. I hope you seriously didn't pay $10k for yours? (If so, I'm sorry you missed our "group buy" in late 2001 where purchase costs were closer to $700 including 6-10 years of pre-paid RCI membership.)

Edited to add: Mods, perhaps this should be moved to the South Africa board?

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
long as this doesnt turn into an ad its fine.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Timeshare Vacationing For Bargain Hunters.

When I go to the Hilton Grand vacation Club in Hawaii or Las Vegas, the Sheraton Vistana, the Westin in Cabo or the Grand Mayan in Mexico and I know that others pay 5-10 times more - well, that's what happiness is!
We likewise enjoy vacationing in luxury timeshare accommodations at Motel 6 & Super 8 rates.

But knowing that others may pay full freight does not specially enhance our enjoyment -- nor do we do much bragging about our thrifty ways lest we cause others who paid more to feel bad about it.

As it happens, there's no way we could enjoy timeshares & timesharing if it would cost us big bux. It is not a matter of whether we can afford it, but it has everything to do with what we're willing to do with our money.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
you can pay only $10k + $350 and get the same vacations

The secret? I buy South African timeshare with the highest trading value and the lowest maintenance fee

You can pay $1 and buy all of the South African timeshares you want on e-bay, thus saving $9,999. You will have the same low MF's of about $350, but the high trading value of a South African timeshare ended years ago.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
This same individual recently posted the same "doo-dah" in the RedWeek forums. Since no specific SA resorts were / are identified, it's hard to view the odd material as an ad. That said, however, this hardly seems to be the time or the place to be touting yesteryears' old news regarding the long obsolete use or value of South African timeshares. OP may be unaware of (or just oblivious to) the "stronger" background of the "audience" here...

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, THAT much is certainly true...

Even if you can get a FREE timeshare with low maintenance, beware! Most cheap timeshares have low or no trading value at all. Simply put, it will not take you where you WANT to go.

True enough. And a South African timeshare differs from this HOW? :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Où sont les tigres d'antan ?

You will have the same low MF's of about $350, but the high trading value of a South African timeshare ended years ago.
True, the Tiger Traders of yesteryear are mere pussycats today.

Even so, when the costs are (relatively) low, getting even an OK trader is not a bad deal.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
$10,000 for a SA timeshare from a company in CA.....I think you can get these for a lot less than 10K...

Last edited:

GeNioS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well....Too bad I found this forum too soon and too late. Already have my Marriott's and Wyndham but this sounds fabulous!

Do they put free diamonds under your pillow each night?

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Think So Too.

$10,000 for a SA timeshare from a company in CA.....I think you can get these for a lot less than 10K...
I think I paid more like $750 for a standard-grade 2BR SA timeshare -- & that included the 1st year's levies plus 6 years of paid-up membership in RCI.

That was through a ReMax timeshare broker back in 2003.

I don't know what they're going for now.

In any case, by me $10,000 is too much to pay for an SA timeshare -- or for any timeshare anywhere.

Lazarescu

TUG Member
Reaction score
If anyone sees a South African Gold Crown resort, red week on Ebay for $1, or $100, please alert me, I'm buying.

As far as current trading value is concerned, they were exchanged in the last 4 months to 2 bedrooms villa at the Gold Crown Resort Pahio Villas at Bali Hai in Kauai, 2 bedroom suite at the Grandview in Las Vegas, and 2 bedroom suite at Gold Cron resort Lawrence Welk in California. Skeptic? contact me and I'll send you the vacation confirmations.

Lazarescu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope! They don't put diamonds under the pillow.

But one of the resorts has a golf course, designed by Gary player, where there are impalas on the golf course!

larry_WM

TUG Member
Reaction score
If anyone sees a South African Gold Crown resort, red week on Ebay for $1, or $100, please alert me, I'm buying.

Looking for yourself
As far as current trading value is concerned, they were exchanged in the last 4 months to 2 bedrooms villa at the Gold Crown Resort Pahio Villas at Bali Hai in Kauai, 2 bedroom suite at the Grandview in Las Vegas, and 2 bedroom suite at Gold Cron resort Lawrence Welk in California. Skeptic? contact me and I'll send you the vacation confirmations.

We knew that many years ago !

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Golfing impalas...

...one of the resorts has a golf course, designed by Gary player, where there are impalas on the golf course!

With due respect, I don't really have any interest in S. African timeshares.
But, having never been to South Africa and in the interests of expanding my sports and cultural knowledge, I have a few non-timeshare questions:

Do these impalas out on the course carry their own clubs or do they use caddies? (I'm assuming they are not allowed to operate motorized carts).

Would these impalas still be on the golf course even if it had not been designed by Gary Player?

Do any of these golfing impalas ever qualify for the PGA tour?

In view of their renowned speed, do the impalas finish their rounds noticeably faster than the two legged golfers?

Golf etiquette dictates that golfers rake and smooth out the disturbed sand after hitting from the bunkers. Do the impalas similarly clean up after themselves in the event of any "accidents" which may occur either in the sand traps or while putting on the greens?

Inquiring minds want to know......:shrug:

Last edited:

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Please tell me which resorts you are looking for and I will be glad to point you to weeks you can buy for $1 as they are listed on e-bay. Red week has numerous South Africa weeks for sale for between $595 and $2300, but the real deals where they sell for $1 are found on e-bay.

Redweek currently has a one bed room Dikhololo with asking price of $995 and a 2 bed room with asking price of $1295. Negotiate and they will probably sell for less. http://www.redweek.com/resort/P4394-dikhololo#sales

The peninsula 2 bed room with a $1995 ASKING PRICE. http://www.redweek.com/resort/P4402-the-peninsula#sales

3 bed room 2 bath for $595 asking price at la lucia sands
http://www.redweek.com/resort/P4447-la-lucia-sands#sales

and a crystal springs 2 bed room 2 bath for $2300
http://www.redweek.com/resort/P4473-crystal-springs-mountain-lodge#sales

All of these are asking prices and most sellers will take a lot less than their asking prices. When one is listed on e-bay I doubt that any week at any south african resort will get a $500 winning bid. Watch the auctions on e-bay for South Africa to see for yourself.

Last edited:

sandkastle4966

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 bedroom grandview at Las Vegas - can get with my garbage trader as well as a 28-48k generic week from wyndham (that $250 maint fee equiv for the week).....

now if you can get Manhatten club ....now you are talking tiger trader.....

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score

I deposited a one bed room silver crown 14 days in advance (last minute which lowers trade value a lot) and I currently can choose from 44 different resorts in Hawaii to trade in to including Gold Crown Cliffs Club,Gold Crown Bali Hai, Gold Crown Paniol Greens, Gold Crown Lawaii Beach Resort, and Gold Crown Shell Club at Paniolo Greens not counting the silver crowns I can trade for.

Here is my RCI exchange request results for Hawaii using a weak trader:

Tropic Sun Towers Phase I & II (#1899) Jun 2007 to Jun 2010 [44] Available
Relation #: Unit: Max Occ/Priv: 4 / 4 Interval 23 Start Date:
Please wait while we retrieve your results...
One moment ...

You Chose:
-- Hawaii

Filter By
Destination
Big Island, Hawaii [10]
Kauai [31]
Maui [1]
Oahu [2]

City
Honolulu [2]
Kailua-Kona [3]
Kailua-Kona, [1]
Kapaa [4]
Koloa [2]
Lahaina [1]
Lihue [2]
Princeville [23]
Waikoloa [6]

Of course this poor trading, one bed room, silver crown, deposited the last day RCI would let me, couldn't possibly trade for any gold crown resorts in Vegas. Oops I have availability for 1349 total weeks at 30 different resorts including the Gold crown Bluegreen club, the Gold Crown Grandview at Las Vegas, both gold crown Hiltons Grand Crown Vacations on the strip and Hilton Grand Crown Vacations Vegas, Gold Crown Shell Vacations at Desert Rose,Gold Crown Cliffs at Peace Canyon,Gold Crown Worldmark Tropicanna Las Vegas, and Wyndham Grand Desert plus a lot of Silver crowns.

Here is my Vegas search with the same one bed room trader:

Tropic Sun Towers Phase I & II (#1899) Jun 2007 to Jun 2010 [1,351] Available
Relation #: Unit: Max Occ/Priv: 4 / 4 Interval 23 Start Date:

Please wait while we retrieve your results...
One moment ...

You Chose:
-- Pacific Coast
---- Nevada

Filter By
Destination
Las Vegas Area [1,071]
Nevada Other [145]
Reno/Lake Tahoe Area [135]

City
Incline Village [24]
Las Vegas [1,071]
Mesquite [145]
Reno [67]
Stateline [42]
Zephyr cove [2]

This unit was my second timeshare purchase when I was a newbie and didn't know to buy 2 bed rooms, but I still own it because I have rented it several times and used it for several acceptable trades. Even though this is not one of my great traders or renters, my maintenance fees on this unit are only $475 a year, and I can drive to this location if I would like to stay here (so no worry about air fares). Can you really buy a week like this for $1? PM me and you will see.....

Last edited:

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
You really shouldn't post what your non SA, low cost ts will trade into - that defeats the purpose of the OP's thread. Trying to garner interest in South African timeshares that have lost their value. Give the guy a break - he's only trying to make a living. Newbies, please contact the OP, unless of course you are recognizing by these posts that there are much better routes to go.

GeNioS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do the impalas similarly clean up after themselves in the event of any "accidents" which may occur either in the sand traps or while putting on the greens?

Inquiring minds want to know......:shrug:
Shows you what I know....I thought that Chevrolet's on a golf course would damage the turf.....

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You know... as new as I am here, and I own now 4 weeks, my "best" that I own according to some here is Marriott's Cypress Harbour, and it trades like crap compared to my SA's for a *fraction* of the price. I'm pulling some serious trades with SA. Anyone have any requests? I'll show you what I can do..

I may be mistaken, and I can't speak for II, but it's my understanding that RCI only shows you what your resort exchange will trade UP for, not DOWN to. Chances are that your Marriott is too upscale to trade into those "lesser" resorts the SA week is seeing. The SA shows you better stuff than it is, but they may all be considered lower trading value than what your Marriott pulls. That may explain the difference. A more fair trade power would be an equal "dog" week somewhere, and compare it side by side with the SA week.

And if I'm all wet, then I'm off to check ebay for those one dollar deals on SA weeks. If I had to spend $10K or more for any timeshare, I'd rent instead. There are too many deals out there for non-owners. And no offense to the OP, but I'd never buy a timeshare from a guy in California (or anyone else) who doesn't know the same resort can be purchased for a buck on eBay, or the real trading value of what he's selling.

Dave

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score

Last edited: