• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any current or former sales reps out here?

sparrow

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently interviewed for a sales job with a Northern California based time share club. I have zero sales experience and a healthy dose of skepticism of what might be involved but I am open to the possibility of selling timeshares in an ethical and friendly manner.

I want to hear an honest perception of the job from someone who has performed this role. If you're out here please feel free to post a reply or email me directly at sethmeller@gmail.com

Thanks,

S

sernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Call me Johnny Raincloud if you like but I am skeptical that a newcomer to sales, let alone timeshares, stands much chance of success selling timeshares in this market. I would recommend a different career path if possible.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Based on my discussions with a number of Marriott timeshare salespeople, it's a tough profession. Even many Marriott salespeople - in a seemingly perfect timeshare sales arena - are unsuccessful and disappear each year.

Further, now would seem to be the worst possible time to take such a position. Timeshare sales, as reported by all of the major publicly owned timeshare entities are way down, thanks to the economy. That's not likely to improve soon.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
"Just remember: It's not a lie if you believe it."
(George Costanza)

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's hard to sell in this market - or any market. I would hate to make a living selling timeshares if I knew what I'm about to tell you:
People can buy timeshares for much, much less by buying resale. There is little or no good reason to buy from a developer. So in order for you to make a living, you're going to have to be a bit deceiptful - if not a liar.

I do understand the need for a job - almost any job- in this economy. But if you can find something else to do, I'd suggest you try. Good luck! And thanks for asking questions. You sound like an ethical person - I don't think you'll like the business.

roadtriper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently interviewed for a sales job with a Northern California based time share club. I have zero sales experience and a healthy dose of skepticism of what might be involved but I am open to the possibility of selling timeshares in an ethical and friendly manner.

I want to hear an honest perception of the job from someone who has performed this role. If you're out here please feel free to post a reply or email me directly at sethmeller@gmail.com

Thanks,

S

Sparrow, I don't know any inside scoop on TS sales. But. I spent a good portion of my life as a service Mgr in car dealerships. the sales force always consisted of a few old timers who had been doing it forever and always had consistant sales #'s , then there was a Parade of newbies who would last a period of time comenserate with the size of their family and social circle. once they had sold all their relatives and friends vehicles their careers were doomed. :D Have you ever sat through a timeshare presentation???
might be worth the time if you are seriously interested in giving this a try.
I think there is decent money to be earned, most of the "Sales Weasels" I've seen have been wearing expensive suits and driving high end vehicles. but that may be smoke and mirrors, a lot of folks with fancy stuff are in debt up to their eyeballs!
one things for sure... the more time you spend researching this on TUG the less you'll like Timeshare salespeople. and if you take the job, the longer you are in Timeshare Sales the less you will like the TUG Community! RT

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I would echo the advice given here as someone who has been on the inside of the sales environment w/o having to drink the kool-aid to do the sales. Even the most innocent and ethical sales people will be tainted by the shennanigans that go on in the sales environment. I do not believe it is possible to do your job and not get dirty.

V

Vacation Dude

An ethical TS salesperson is an oxymoron, like an ethical drug dealer.

I don't think this applies to DVC.

Most DVC sales reps don't engage in a hard sale or trickery and I read very little complaints about their sales department.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The same is true for most Marriott and other high-end timeshare system salespeople. However, based on the OP's wording, the "oxymoron" label is very likely to apply to the position the OP is applying for.

NTHC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Las Vegas, Massanutten
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Regal Vista, Wyndham, Bluegreen, Diamond
There are unethical people in every type of business. The fact that this is a timeshare forum means that most people think timeshare salespeople are bad. If this were a Walmart forum, you would find just as many people who think Walmart is bad. The fact that you are asking this question here would seem to me to be a very good indication that you are aware of the resale market. That would make it very unlikely, even with the best of intentions, that you would be able to honestly sell a timeshare at full price from a developer.

JMHO,
Cindy

zazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks,

S

This remains one of the better threads here. Someone at least representing themself as a former salesman chimes in on the commissions and the environment.

Enjoy