• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

buying jeans for teenage girl

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Aaaarrrrrghhhhhh - just got back from Jeans shopping with my 16 y/o dd. I could tell by the 3" zippers that it would be difficult to find something acceptable! Everything we looked at tonight was so low cut that even she agreed the view from the rear showed too much - and I'm not just talking undies.

It didn't seem possible to find a pair of jeans that DD thinks have the right fit (translation - sprayed on) and look (translation - brand name, pocket details, finish) and that are not indecent in the rear. DD is tall, and the jeans marked tall have longer legs, but they don't have that extra inch in the rise. Of course she wouldn't have anything to do with basic Levis or Wranglers or anything in the Misses department.

After trying 20-30 pairs we found something semi-acceptable, as long as she doesn't bend over .......

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was walking in town yesterday behind a young couple. The male obviously thought he was cool as his jeans were low slung to show the brand of underwear he had on. Unfortunately, for him and the viewing public, he clearly hadn't quite got the hang of the fashion (no pun intended). The jeans were slowly sliding south until they were low enough to see daylight between his legs! I can only assume that he wasn't sure what to do to avoid being un-cool by hitching them back up by hand. The result was that he was becoming more and more bow legged, like some old cowboy who'd spent 50 years in the saddle.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aaaarrrrrghhhhhh - just got back from Jeans shopping with my 16 y/o dd. I could tell by the 3" zippers that it would be difficult to find something acceptable! Everything we looked at tonight was so low cut that even she agreed the view from the rear showed too much - and I'm not just talking undies.

It didn't seem possible to find a pair of jeans that DD thinks have the right fit (translation - sprayed on) and look (translation - brand name, pocket details, finish) and that are not indecent in the rear. DD is tall, and the jeans marked tall have longer legs, but they don't have that extra inch in the rise. Of course she wouldn't have anything to do with basic Levis or Wranglers or anything in the Misses department.

After trying 20-30 pairs we found something semi-acceptable, as long as she doesn't bend over .......

Did you try Old Navy? My teenagers are tall, and the oldest (18) likes regular rise pants (that is, the waist sits at her waist), and the middle one (14) says she wants lower rise, but then she "borrows" the oldest's jeans.

Old Navy has Tall sizes and also has four different rises (they have names, like Sweetheart and Diva). I think Sweetheart is the next-to-highest rise, and Old Navy has a lot of different styles in Sweetheart. (Oldest DD wears Goddess--highest rise.) Once your DD finds one she likes, you can order a couple of extra pairs off the website.

Here's the guide...

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/category.do?cid=5459

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don't get the proper fashion jeans they will be worn only once and then sit in the closet forever. Peer pressure dictates! Jeans at the waist are perfect for MOM but with the current generation that's not a compliment.

The basic guideline is the front zipper. If it's longer than 3 inches the jeans are "old fashion".

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you try Old Navy? My teenagers are tall, and the oldest (18) likes regular rise pants (that is, the waist sits at her waist), and the middle one (14) says she wants lower rise, but then she "borrows" the oldest's jeans.

Not yet. Old Navy was just closing last night so we went next door to Target instead.
We'll definitely try Old Navy next, thanks!

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don't get the proper fashion jeans they will be worn only once and then sit in the closet forever. Peer pressure dictates! Jeans at the waist are perfect for MOM but with the current generation that's not a compliment.

The basic guideline is the front zipper. If it's longer than 3 inches the jeans are "old fashion".

I know - I just wish there was something in between "ultra low rise" and "mom jeans".

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was walking in town yesterday behind a young couple. The male obviously thought he was cool as his jeans were low slung to show the brand of underwear he had on. Unfortunately, for him and the viewing public, he clearly hadn't quite got the hang of the fashion (no pun intended). The jeans were slowly sliding south until they were low enough to see daylight between his legs! I can only assume that he wasn't sure what to do to avoid being un-cool by hitching them back up by hand. The result was that he was becoming more and more bow legged, like some old cowboy who'd spent 50 years in the saddle.

Ewwwww. I often see baggy-pantsed young men holding them up with one hand at the crotch, along with the bow-legged walk. (And by "them" I mean the jeans!)

Seeing the undies is one thing, it's what's (supposed to be) under the undies that's the problem with the jeans we tried last night.

hibbeln

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gap also, for young gals. They have the right, fashionable looks, but also have different rises so you can find one that won't make Grandma faint or the lads follow her around like a pack of dogs. :eek:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know - I just wish there was something in between "ultra low rise" and "mom jeans".

The low rise jeans are just part of the today's fashion. The key seems to be having cute underwear as viewed from the back and a bare mid-drift. It used to be that thongs were a must, but today it's a string. If a girl spends the money for rhinestone trim (e.g. the word "sexy" in rhinestones in the back) she's just got to make sure everyone sees it. Low rise jeans are just a means to an end (so to speak). :eek: And of course there is also an apparent scoring system where points are awarded when she bends over and touches her toes. This Millenium generation is too much!

My concern would be frost bite in cold weather climates!!

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Kohl's but it's the best place for my DD to find jeans. They have a variety of brands and styles (skinny, boot cut, low-rise, ultra-low-rise, etc.) and most come in short-average-tall. There's plenty of choices for junior sizes between ultra-low and "mom" jeans!

mamiecarter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopeless!!!!

Teenagers must separate emotionally and eventually physically move away from their parents. It is part of growing up. Conflicts over clothes are the standard arena for these conflicts to play out. Girls are even more difficult than boys this way.

Work on broader areas of behavior and as long as it will not stop traffic let the kids dress the way their peers do or the way they want to. This is a fight a parent can not win.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
My youngest daughter has the same problem. She got a nice pair in Gap, and a nice, but rather expensive, pair in PacSun. If she is happy in them, and they cost $70.00, I don't care. I know I will get my money's worth out of them.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Teenagers must separate emotionally and eventually physically move away from their parents. It is part of growing up. Conflicts over clothes are the standard arena for these conflicts to play out. Girls are even more difficult than boys this way.

Work on broader areas of behavior and as long as it will not stop traffic let the kids dress the way their peers do or the way they want to. This is a fight a parent can not win.

This one actually was not a fight - we were both ok with tight and low cut, and neither of us liked the ones that were so low they were indecent. We actually get along just fine in terms of her clothes! (Not to worry, there are plenty of other areas where she declares her independence loud and clear.)

With each pair of jeans, as soon as she looked at her rear in the fitting room mirror she'd say Ewwww and take them off. We kept joking about "bend over and crack a smile."

Our problem is that the cut seemed to go straight from indecent (in both of our opinions) to Mom jeans, and we didn't find anything in between. We shopped at Kohl's and Target; after the break we'll try Old Navy and Gap. I just hope their Tall jeans have an extra bit of rise in addition to the extra length in the legs!

Last edited: