• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Newport Coast

rwpeterson

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
First of all, I'm not complaining about Interval. I have had great trades with Interval but I need help understanding what just happened.

In June 2008, I placed an ongoing request for Marriott Newport Coast for the last week of March 2009 using a Colorado red ski week. I knew this would be a difficult trade because it's spring break week. Almost immediately I started getting calls from Interval telling me it's a difficult trade and would I accept something else. I kept saying no, I wanted to give it more time to try to match. In early November, I gave up and rented a 2 bedroom from an owner at another southern California resort.

Now today, Novemeber 24th, all kinds of weeks from Jan - March, including the week I wanted, are showing up on the sightings board. And I can pull the week I wanted.

We go to southern California every year for spring break and we'd really like to stay at Marriott Newport Coast so I'm trying to figure out how to trade into the resort. If I know the resort space banks 4 months out from the date I want, I'll wait longer before giving up and renting!!

PS: We changed our ongoing request for Cancun and got a 2 bedroom at the Royal Mayan for the first week of June so we got a great trade anyway. And we like the southern California resort we're renting from another TUGger, so we're still happy timeshare owners.

TIA

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I do not believe that Marriott space banks deposits. Marriott is not on any sort of points based reservation system and does not control inventory. Instead, individual owners must reserve a week and deposit them individually with I.I.

NCV seems to be a popular resort among Marriott owners and can be a tough reservation, even for those that own at NCV. I have seen a lot of complaints about owners wanting to reserve summer weeks and never finding them available. It also seems to rent reasonably well so, I suspect some owners will reserve a week and, rather than depositing for exchange will attempt to rent for profit.

We recently completed an exchange into NCV for mid-March using another Marriott Platinum season week. It took longer than any other internal Marriott exchange we've attempted. We used the request first method, reserving a week we could use with our home resort. We started our request in March and were confirmed on Ausust 9th.

Keep in mind that Marriott gives a preference to other Marriott owners when requesting an exchange. If you're using a non-Marriott week, you're likely to be behind most Marriott owners as far as being in line to match an exchange. I believe Marriott has an exclusive window for other Marriott owners that's in the neighborhood of 21 days. During that time Marriott owners have first dibs on any deposited weeks. Since this seems to be a rather popular resort in the Marriott system, it's likely to be a more difficult exchange when using a week from outside the Marriott system.

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not believe that Marriott space banks deposits. Marriott is not on any sort of points based reservation system and does not control inventory. Instead, individual owners must reserve a week and deposit them individually with I.I...............
Keep in mind that Marriott gives a preference to other Marriott owners when requesting an exchange. If you're using a non-Marriott week, you're likely to be behind most Marriott owners as far as being in line to match an exchange. I believe Marriott has an exclusive window for other Marriott owners that's in the neighborhood of 21 days. During that time Marriott owners have first dibs on any deposited weeks. Since this seems to be a rather popular resort in the Marriott system, it's likely to be a more difficult exchange when using a week from outside the Marriott system.

Could these be developer weeks? There is a huge bank of sequential check-in dates (from January to May and in September) that is showing up on line for non-Marriott weeks after about 12 days inside of Marriott preference. Probably more than one unit available for each date and Marriott owners may not be jumping for them, due to the economy.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Two reasons:
1) previous poster mentioned developer weeks. Almost certainly this contributes.
2) maintenance fees are due from owners to Marriott within a month or two. People electing to reserve for Marriott rewards points this year are now doing just that. Marriott will have a bunch of weeks to deposit (or rent via marriott.com). January through the end of March aren't the busiest times for Southern California.

Personally, I think the vacation advisor at II gave you really lousy information.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Could these be developer weeks? There is a huge bank of sequential check-in dates (from January to May and in September) that is showing up on line for non-Marriott weeks after about 12 days inside of Marriott preference. Probably more than one unit available for each date and Marriott owners may not be jumping for them, due to the economy.

They could be. I believe NCV had just compeleted a new section right about the time we requested our exchange. At the time, I felt pretty strongly that we would be confirmed very quickly but, it still took 5 months to get our requested exchange.

There is some changes going on with the sales management teams at NCV. Perhaps the old guard didn't believe in using developer weeks for exchanges to get prospects in the door while the new management team feels it's a better way to get fresh bodies to the sales table.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Two reasons:

Personally, I think the vacation advisor at II gave you really lousy information.

I.I. did that to us as well. They called three or four times telling us about exchanges we weren't interested in. Each time they hinted that it might be to difficult of an exchange, we pointed out it was a request first and we really didn't care. We were either going to our home resort that week or NCV. Either way, we weren't accepting anything else.

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I.I. did that to us as well. They called three or four times telling us about exchanges we weren't interested in. Each time they hinted that it might be to difficult of an exchange, we pointed out it was a request first and we really didn't care. We were either going to our home resort that week or NCV. Either way, we weren't accepting anything else.

The folks from II who call get a commission if they convince you or the OP to take something else - that's why they call. I don't think that they have "lousy information" - they're just trying to make a sale anyway they know how, and so tell you you won't get what you want!

I have never had anyone call because I've told II that I don't want to be called and at least they respect that! However the last time I called them to set up an ongoing request with an AC (which you now have to do) for a DVC resort the person tried to tell me that I would never get a DVC resort and why didn't I put in for something else? I had to laugh and say that I've already managed to get DVC with ACs before - go check your own records. He was quiet after that.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I call it deceptive sales practices, and it stinks.

I've never had a situation where I didn't get the request I put in through II in six years. Granted, I've been pretty flexible and have a variety of resorts in my requests, but I've never accepted anything that they've called me about.

The folks from II who call get a commission if they convince you or the OP to take something else - that's why they call. I don't think that they have "lousy information" - they're just trying to make a sale anyway they know how, and so tell you you won't get what you want!

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
It must be developer weeks as I just pulled a 3/21 week at NCV with a Tahoe week seven ski studio at Ridge Pointe. Funtime