• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recent NCV Sales on Ebay

duck_widow

Reaction score
I noticed that two annual gold weeks (floating weeks 1-22) sold recently on ebay for $7100 and $8100. I checked dioxide's site and those seem to be the lowest by far. I wonder if they'll pass ROFR. Weeks 1-22 would include spring break I assume.

They have different MFs listed. Why would one be lower than another? Maybe one includes the property taxes and one doesn't? Does the MF vary based on when the unit was built?

Anyone tempted by these low prices?

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
I know, I saw these too. Very low prices. I am not tempted, NCV off season is pretty easy to get into on trade or a getaway. Platinum is another story.

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will they pass ROFR? IMO, yes.

Gold season includes Easter/Spring Break. I have it booked for next year :)

MF's do not include RE taxes. IIRC, our MF's are around 840 for 2009. Property (RE) taxes go to the OC tax collector and depend on purchase price/assessed value. IIRC, our taxes were based on .66 of developer selling price when we bought (back in 2004 from Marriott).

All of our Hawaii trades have been with our gold interval. We'll be at MAW next week. We occupy or rent our Platinum.

Pat

thmom

Reaction score
Yes! The NCV prices are very tempting. :D
I have been watching the e-bay sales carefully for NCV and Palm Desert. Wondering just how low those prices can go.:clap: An NCV annual platinum just closed at $10,600, but the reserve wasn't met so I don't know if that deal will close. Does anyone know if the prices are dropping because of the end of the year, and people are trying to avoid the '09 Maint. fees? We'll be at NCV Dec 26-Jan 2, checking it out, so let me know if anyone has questions. I'm trying to figure out how to combine NCV plat. with DSV I or II, but the seasons don't match well unless we get a white season in the desert. (June, July, and Sept-Dec.) Anybody have any ideas how to work that out? Want Newport for summer and Palm Desert for winter. These prices are crazy.

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can always go intra-resort from blue into platinum at the desert resorts but still use that cheap blue week to get platinum in July/August at NCV. The strategy would depend on when during summer you wish to reserve at NCV and how many blue weeks you had.

So, if you had one blue week, you could book it for week 28 (IIRC that's the first week for MDS blue) and then week 29 at NCV (in 2009, that'd be July 18 for a Saturday check-in). This reservation would be made 13 months in advance of the MDS week, which of course has already passed (for 2008). If you had a MDS white and blue, you could book a week earlier than with blue only. The trick is to book consecutive weeks, the first two at MDS (for example), then the third at NCV. Alternatively, with only white, you could book week 27 at MDS and week 28 at NCV 13 months in advance of the week 27 at MDS. Wrinse and repeat as required. Buy enough white/blue weeks and you can create your own 14-15 month rule :)

With MVCI not actively exercising ROFR as much anymore, one doesn't need to limit themselves to non-ROFR resorts like MDS. Rather, cherry pick whatever works for the seasonality you desire. I always picked MDS blue for the strategy because they were dirt cheap and didn't have ROFR.

The scheduling gurus can give you precise numbers but hopefully my overview helps :)

Pat

thmom

Reaction score
You can always go intra-resort from blue into platinum at the desert resorts but still use that cheap blue week to get platinum in July/August at NCV. The strategy would depend on when during summer you wish to reserve at NCV and how many blue weeks you had.

So, if you had one blue week, you could book it for week 28 (IIRC that's the first week for MDS blue) and then week 29 at NCV (in 2009, that'd be July 18 for a Saturday check-in). This reservation would be made 13 months in advance of the MDS week, which of course has already passed (for 2008). If you had a MDS white and blue, you could book a week earlier than with blue only. The trick is to book consecutive weeks, the first two at MDS (for example), then the third at NCV. Alternatively, with only white, you could book week 27 at MDS and week 28 at NCV 13 months in advance of the week 27 at MDS. Wrinse and repeat as required. Buy enough white/blue weeks and you can create your own 14-15 month rule :)

With MVCI not actively exercising ROFR as much anymore, one doesn't need to limit themselves to non-ROFR resorts like MDS. Rather, cherry pick whatever works for the seasonality you desire. I always picked MDS blue for the strategy because they were dirt cheap and didn't have ROFR.

The scheduling gurus can give you precise numbers but hopefully my overview helps :)

Pat

Thanks for the info camachinist. I just talked to my sis who suggested maybe getting the NCV gold-to use for spring break or President's day and getting red season at DSVI or II to use for the 13 month advantage or as a x-mas vacation. Now I've got so many scenarios that my head is swimming. Does that sound like it would work? It would probably cost less.
I'm planning to ask a lot of questions when I get to NCV and see if that helps push me toward a NCV plat or gold. Then I'll pick up whatever works best with that in the Desert. Also want something that has the best trading power for the buck, in California. Thanks again for the info-I'm mulling it over and figuring out my best plan. Patty
P.S. I read somewhere on the boards that DSV may have added Thurs. as a check in day-which would give me the 13 mo. advantage plus a week and a day!

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
"P.S. I read somewhere on the boards that DSV may have added Thurs. as a check in day-which would give me the 13 mo. advantage plus a week and a day! "

Could you please explain this ...I am not following you.
Thanks!!

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
If that resort falls below $10k, I would buy one on the resale market. I think since ROFR is not being enforced, there is a possibility that an owner in distress may want to unload the unit at any price. It's sad but a sign of the times.

thmom

Reaction score
NCV relisting

Yes, I also noticed that the NCV ads have been relisted. 1 for the plat. and 1 for the gold. I am also waiting for NCV to get to around $10,000. Wonder when that might happen. I'm guessing early in "09. Still looking forward to being at NCV in Dec. :whoopie:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was offered one at $13500 by a reputable resale agent. Since I have 3 NCV now I wasn't interested, but that is a pretty good price.

Regards.
Joe

thmom

Reaction score
I was offered one at $13500 by a reputable resale agent. Since I have 3 NCV now I wasn't interested, but that is a pretty good price.

Regards.
Joe

That is a good price! I think it will go lower. Any chance of getting the name or website of the resale agent? I'm guessing you're pretty happy with NCV, since you own 3.:D

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
A TUG'er recently picked up a holiday NCV for 14K, IIRC. When I heard that from him, I was quite surprised that it passed ROFR. Holiday is Xmas week, fixed. It also allows for, alternatively, reservation of any week during platinum season, save for July 4th week, which is also fixed. Not bad.

I think I'll hang onto ours for now ;)

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
deal

A TUG'er recently picked up a holiday NCV for 14K, IIRC. When I heard that from him, I was quite surprised that it passed ROFR. Holiday is Xmas week, fixed. It also allows for, alternatively, reservation of any week during platinum season, save for July 4th week, which is also fixed. Not bad.

I think I'll hang onto ours for now ;)

THAT's the kind of deal I'd like but I too think we'll see the regular platinum weeks go to 10,000 before too long.

Kokonut

TUG Member
Reaction score
... I too think we'll see the regular platinum weeks go to 10,000 before too long.

I guess there is a limited supply of Platinum NCV in the hands of the PCCs that frequent eBay since I don't see too many listed now. However, there are 36 Platinum and Gold weeks for sale on Redweek. The lowest Gold EY is ASKING $9,000 and the lowest Platinum annual is ASKING $14,500.

I'm thinking about contacting some of the sellers of the Platinum weeks and making offers. Maybe someone who be interested in selling at $10K. I would like to avoid buying from eBay after hearing about Icydog's recent experience with a NCV purchase.

Kokonut

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Redweek

I guess there is a limited supply of Platinum NCV in the hands of the PCCs that frequent eBay since I don't see too many listed now. However, there are 36 Platinum and Gold weeks for sale on Redweek. The lowest Gold EY is ASKING $9,000 and the lowest Platinum annual is ASKING $14,500.

I'm thinking about contacting some of the sellers of the Platinum weeks and making offers. Maybe someone who be interested in selling at $10K. I would like to avoid buying from eBay after hearing about Icydog's recent experience with a NCV purchase.

Kokonut

I HATE the way Redweek lists its resales. The having to click on each one to MAYBE find out if "High" is a Platinum or Gold drives me crazy!

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There are some reports that Marriott is not exercising ROFR right now, due to the glut of units available and inability to sell due to the economy.

Take it for what it's worth (nothing), but remember that the real purpose of ROFR is to get cheap units to Marriott that it can resell and make a huge profit. Given that sales are difficult right now, and cash is a bit tight, Marriott doesn't have much need to swap its cash for units that it can't sell. So, if you want to take the chance of owning a timeshare with high annual fees, and think you won't have any problem meeting the annual obligation as it comes due, now is a good time to buy at good prices without much risk of ROFR being exercised.