• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Am I reading this right?

JackieD

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the midst of packing for our trip to Mayan Palace and I have been thinking since I bought my airline tickets that the baggage fee applied. Flying American Airlines - fee is $15.00/bag each way. Well, reading the fine print just now, it says exceptions to the baggage fee are 'international destination beyond the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada' and there's no fee for the first two bags. We have a connecting flights does that make a difference? There's 5 of us so that would really change things. I am skeptical and would hate to be surprised at the airport. Am I reading this right?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sounds right to me, but I'd suggest calling the airline and asking them directly. Since you're booking a multi-flight trip with an end destination out of the country, the ultimate destination should apply. But I'd call them to make sure.

Dave

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds right to me, but I'd suggest calling the airline and asking them directly. Since you're booking a multi-flight trip with an end destination out of the country, the ultimate destination should apply. But I'd call them to make sure.

Dave

You almost always have to keep repeating that your final destination is international ie: mexico......at least we do.....be insistent. we have had to do this numerous times flying out of Boston ( Logan airport)........sad but true!

Grand Vic

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got back from Cabo and we flew U.S. Airways out of Denver and American back to Denver. We had connecting flights in Phoenix going and LA coming home. U.S. Airways charged us $30 (we checked two bags) but American did not charge us for the same two bags coming home. Both airlines are supposed to have the extra charge for bags, so why American didn't charge us is beyond me, but I certinaly didn't point it out to them! :ignore:

Vicky

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as you are ticketed through to an international destination - including Mexico - you should not pay the fee. American did not charge us.

I suggest printing the statement and highlighting the exception for international travel, so you can show it to them just in case there is a problem.

JackieD

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Follow-up

Just got back from Mayan Palace, Maya Riviera (had a great time). Wanted to followup on the my baggage question. American Airlines DOES NOT charge (at least for now) for the first suitcase per person as long as it's 50# or less on trips to Mexico. We had connecting flights through Dallas. There was never a question on either end of the trip. Hope this helps.

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Mayan Palace, Maya Riviera (had a great time). Wanted to followup on the my baggage question. American Airlines DOES NOT charge (at least for now) for the first suitcase per person as long as it's 50# or less on trips to Mexico. We had connecting flights through Dallas. There was never a question on either end of the trip. Hope this helps.

That is great to hear...we have such problems , well my hubby does, flying out of Logan ( Boston) always a connection and always an issue with luggage but the issue originates in Boston......he has to insist almost every time, get managers etc...ridiculous...

jasm

Reaction score
Take a Printout from the Airline's Website

Take a printout of the airline's luggage policy from their website with you to the airport to show to the agent if they ask for payment when none is required.

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
He has done that and there still pursues almost every flight a disagreement...sir you are flying first to Texas or Atlanta etc. so it is domestic.....blah..blah..blah... anyway he does the fight, the paperwork and all and it gets resolved but irritating......and always in Boston...I had same problem when I went there for a visit and was returning...maddening..:annoyed: