• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Am I in the right place? [Selling Wyndham]

MIKESBRO

Reaction score
Due to an unfortunate divorce, my ex and I are attempting to divest joint assets. We own (are paying for) 662,000 Wyndham "Points" per year. All I see here are specific weeks at specific resorts for sale/trade. This looks like a great idea and format for those purposes.
My hope in joining was to get some advice and direction in selling our (not "Timeshare") points. As a 'newbie' any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
You're Getting Warm.

Due to an unfortunate divorce, my ex and I are attempting to divest joint assets. We own (are paying for) 662,000 Wyndham "Points" per year. All I see here are specific weeks at specific resorts for sale/trade. This looks like a great idea and format for those purposes.
My hope in joining was to get some advice and direction in selling our (not "Timeshare") points. As a 'newbie' any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry about your divorce. It's always a shame when a marriage comes apart. I thank my lucky stars that I've been married -- still am -- to the same woman for 44 years.

TUG-BBS isn't t the place to sell timeshares or timeshare points. TUG-BBS is the place par excellence to find out all about that.

Not only that if you join up with TUG (for peanuts), you can advertise your Wyndham points free -- and if nobody buys'm, you can find out ways to use'm for fun vacations.

We've taken the Wyndham (formerly FairField) timeshare sales pitch a couple of times. Both times, what they were selling was timeshares all right, but timeshares usable at various resort locations at various vacation times of the year through a points-based exchange system (Wyndham FairShare Plus Points).

When you're looking to unload timeshares and timeshare points, the main thing to avoid is getting scammed into laying out money to companies who'll assure you they have buyers waiting if you just pay them $1,000 or so up front.

If they really did have buyers, that might be worth $1,000. But rarely if ever in the entire personal history of people on TUG-BBS who've tried it has there ever been a buyer.

Instead, the up-front fee company takes your money -- which is all they're ever going to get from you -- & they list your timeshare on some lame website somewhere, & that's about it. The main purpose of the lame website is so they'll have something they can point you to when you complain about nobody buying your timeshare even though you paid $1,000.

If you paid big bux for your timeshare (or timeshare points -- mox nix) by purchasing it straight from the timeshare company, then the fact that it's worth only nickels on the retail dollar may well be hard to swallow. But that's the cold, hard reality & the sooner you accept that the sooner you can get on with deciding how to handle the timeshare as part of the property division.

Good luck.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Bill4728

Reaction score
Some TS systems have a healthy resale market and you can sell your TS for about 30-40% of what you paid for it.

I'm sorry to say that your TS system isn't one of these with a healthy resale market. Wyndham is selling at more than a 90 -95% discount. So you're likely to get 5% -10% or less than you paid for the TS when you bought it directly from Wyndham (FairField)

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Due to an unfortunate divorce, my ex and I are attempting to divest joint assets. We own (are paying for) 662,000 Wyndham "Points" per year.

If you mean that your ownership is not paid off in full - it will be virtually impossible to sell it. Since you can buy these points for a fraction of a cost on the resale market, no one is going to be willing to purchase from you at the full developer price.

If it were me, I would show my Ex. what the going resale price is, and offer to buy his/her half of the equity at the resale price. Then I'd learn how to use my ownership for some wonderful vacations.

In fact, even if it's paid off, I'd do the same thing.

Your alternative is to sell it for less than you owe, and to pay off the balance of the loan out of pocket, and end up with nothing to show for your $$$.

Good luck!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
'Course, if you can convince your soon-to-be-ex that the value of your points is somewhere close to what you paid for them, and if she is in a position to pay for them, you may just sign over your interest to her and take other valuable assets in exchange. Heck, P.T. Barnum said there was one born every minute.

Jim Ricks

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG!

As you stated you are still paying for your Wyndham Points, might we assume you brought from the developer (Wyndham) vs resale? And you are a GOLD VIP?

And if you still have a loan on these points, you might not be able to sell this negative asset (worth less than the loan value) -- unless you pay off the loan. IMO, get out that picture book and read it; read here under the Wyndham section; and start your vacation planning.

TUG is a great place to learn to use your points to get wonderful vacations. And vacation memories can be priceless.:)

MIKESBRO

Reaction score
If you mean that your ownership is not paid off in full - it will be virtually impossible to sell it. Since you can buy these points for a fraction of a cost on the resale market, no one is going to be willing to purchase from you at the full developer price.

If it were me, I would show my Ex. what the going resale price is, and offer to buy his/her half of the equity at the resale price. Then I'd learn how to use my ownership for some wonderful vacations.

In fact, even if it's paid off, I'd do the same thing.

Your alternative is to sell it for less than you owe, and to pay off the balance of the loan out of pocket, and end up with nothing to show for your $$$.

Good luck!
Denise--Thanks to you and all of the other members for your replies. The reason I'm replying to your post is that when I did some futher research and got the same responses that the other fine members have offered you are all correct in your evaluation of the situation. I had mulled over the thought of buying her out at current prices, paying off the rest and starting the party post haste. Thanks to all. I'll be back. The membership fee has already paid off.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Glad we could help! Did you notice that we also have a Wyndham forum? That is a great place to go for expert help on the finer points of Wyndham ownership.

Let us know how it goes!