• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Effective today Airtran starts charging for the first checked bag.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought our Spring break tickets on Airtran last week. Any tickets purchased November 12, 2008 or after will now be charged $15 for the first checked bag.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
That's to bad. We recently flew Airtran to FL and thought the service was decent. Since they fly 717's while everyone else flies CRJ's, they could become our favorite airline heading east. That is unless they get carried away with enough extra fee's to make it not worth the effort.

It's funny that all the airlines started tossing in extra fee's and blaming the price of gas for those fee's. Now that oil prices are significantly lower, they're still tossing on extra fee's to the cost of the ticket.

SherryS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad I purchased my tickets on Nov 7!!! We still have 1 checked bag per person FREE!

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's to bad. We recently flew Airtran to FL and thought the service was decent. Since they fly 717's while everyone else flies CRJ's, they could become our favorite airline heading east. That is unless they get carried away with enough extra fee's to make it not worth the effort.

It's funny that all the airlines started tossing in extra fee's and blaming the price of gas for those fee's. Now that oil prices are significantly lower, they're still tossing on extra fee's to the cost of the ticket.

I don't know the price of jet fuel, but I know diesel hasn't come down as much as regular unleaded.

Plus if prices tumble on jet fuel, how many of these airlines have hedges in at a higher price? Plus who knows how many of them have had there lines of credit frozen with the banks hoarding cash?

I have my next 3 FL trips booked on AT and personally I don't check bags for our family of 4. This is with 2 active boys of 12 and 7. Pack smart and make use of the w/d.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I don't know the price of jet fuel, but I know diesel hasn't come down as much as regular unleaded.

Plus if prices tumble on jet fuel, how many of these airlines have hedges in at a higher price? Plus who knows how many of them have had there lines of credit frozen with the banks hoarding cash?

I have my next 3 FL trips booked on AT and personally I don't check bags for our family of 4. This is with 2 active boys of 12 and 7. Pack smart and make use of the w/d.

If I could get my wife to do that, I would. However, in the art of a happy marriage it's best to pick you battles wisely. For $15 this isn't a battle I'm going to choose. :p I feel I've done pretty well just getting her down to one suitecase let alone trying to get her down to one carry on. :D

Nobylspoon

Reaction score

Airlines lock in their fuel price for an extended period of time which at the time was a good decision because most airlines locked it in before it got as high as it did but the problem now is noone would have ever known that it would get under $60 a barrel ever again so until the airlines fuel contracts expire they are still locked in at higher fuel cost.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
If I could get my wife to do that, I would. However, in the art of a happy marriage it's best to pick you battles wisely. For $15 this isn't a battle I'm going to choose. :p I feel I've done pretty well just getting her down to one suitecase let alone trying to get her down to one carry on. :D
And that's exactly why the airlines are charging these extra fees -- because they can. They certainly know their customers.

Kurt

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
And that's exactly why the airlines are charging these extra fees -- because they can. They certainly know their customers.

Kurt

While I might not fight my wife over $15, I have begun to think about and plan drive to vacations. In both 2008 and 2009 we've planned one out of 6 vacations that are drive to destinations. In 2010 we might just do two drive to vacations, saving us approx $800 in airfare and car rental fee's.

It's funny how little things like charging $15/bag, $6 for seat selection and having to pay a couple of bucks for a can of pop will make you rethink your vacation plans and end up saving $800 to $1,600 in vacation expense by choosing destinations within driving distance.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a shame...it's one of the reasons I booked Air Trans...fortunately on Nov 3rd.

Still, it was a high consideration when booking a trip where I need to bring scuba gear with me next month.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Thank God I bought our Ft Lauderdale (Dec) and Phoenix (Mar) a while back. Of course, we did pay $6/person/segment to pick our damned seats!

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Thank God I bought our Ft Lauderdale (Dec) and Phoenix (Mar) a while back. Of course, we did pay $6/person/segment to pick our damned seats!

And that's one that REALLY bugs me. What arguement can they have for charging to choose your seat? I can almost see the weight of the bag thing and maybe paying for pretzels and a soda but how can what seat I sit in affect the cost of that flight.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
And that's one that REALLY bugs me. What arguement can they have for charging to choose your seat? I can almost see the weight of the bag thing and maybe paying for pretzels and a soda but how can what seat I sit in affect the cost of that flight.

Since it does not affect anything except the bottom line and is pure profit, they will charge the fee as long as people pay it.

Cheers

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I chose not to pay for seats. My son and I will take two short flights to reach our destination. And back. So that would have $48. We will sit where they put us. He's a teenager and will have his headset or something to entertain him. I usually sleep! We'll see how punitive AirTran is with seat assignments.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Air Tran load from the windows in? I purchased an aisle seat toward the back and loaded in the last group.

George

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I was committed to holding out and not paying too until things were filling up and I was afraid we'd be stuck with middle seats on long (over 2 1/2 hour) flights.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have encouraged me to do the same.

I was committed to holding out and not paying too until things were filling up and I was afraid we'd be stuck with middle seats on long (over 2 1/2 hour) flights.

I guess for $6 a seat, we'll have to bite the bullet on this since it is Spring Break or else we each would probably be separated in a middle seat throughout the plane.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't care if they charge for checked bags...I always travel light. I'm a fan of the airline and so glad Air Tran is soon starting service to Cancun! :clap:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Prices are WAY down

I have been getting flights for early 2009 and the prices have tanked! I'm getting round trips for less than I've seen in 5 years on Airtran and Jet Blue. Nice to see some deals for a change. USAir on the other hand has gone insane as prices are up across the board. I hate to have a connecting flight but for hundreds in savings I'll have to live with it vs non-stop. Hopefully USAir will come down too.