• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Deposit vs Rescued

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
If I DEPOSIT my 2009 into 2010 prior to the start of the year, those points become just regular points that I can do anything with. I just paid to extend the use year by one year. I can make Club bookings, make RCI Weeks exchanges or deposits, RCI Nightly exchanges or use any pf the Club Partner perks. No restrictions. I can always borrow them back into 2009 if need be.

However if I RESCUE my 2008 into 2009 these points can only be used for HGVC club transactions only, in 2009 only.

So it would seem logicaly that unless you knew for sure or planned on using your annual usage in that season it would always be better to pay to DEPOSIT your points, then to RESCUE your points to shift points from year to year.

If I have an existing booking using 2009 points now, and I pay to Deposit my 2009 points into 2010. I am likely going to have to cancel, so if I cancel that booking will those points also move into 2010 usage as well? Does any one know.

I am running into the situation where I have more points in 2009 because of changed plans than I have now have use for. I am just trying to get all the options figured out, so I figure what would be the best way to deal with it.

nonutrix

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I have an existing booking using 2009 points now, and I pay to Deposit my 2009 points into 2010. I am likely going to have to cancel, so if I cancel that booking will those points also move into 2010 usage as well? Does any one know.

I'm very interested in the answer to this same question also.

Another question on the subject of 2009 points deposited into 2010: If those points were not used in 2010, would they be available to rescue into 2011 like other 2010 points?

Thanks!

nonutrix

Last edited:

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another question on the subject of 2009 points deposited into 2010: If those points were not used in 2010, would they be avavailable to rescue into 2011 like other 2010 points?

Yes, I've done that. I had some points deposited to the next year, and still didn't use them. I thought I'd lose them, but when talking to an HGVC rep, she suggested that I rescue them. I mentioned that they had already been moved once, but she told me that was no problem. And indeed, with the payment of another $69 fee, the points were rescued to the following year.

-Bob
P.S. This makes a very good argument for depositing instead of waiting and then rescuing.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
A third question: Since the deadline to deposit or rescue is the end of the year, does it make any sense in doing this any earlier than 12/31 (the last business day)? Perhaps in case of an overload or glitch in the system?

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue

Now you know where my thought process was going.

I usually call anytime between Thankgiving and Xmas, just to avoid the longer hold times that last week of the year.

jlee2070

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe these Deposits and Rescues can be done online via the web... No hold time there...

MadDawg

Reaction score
Is there a cost to deposit points?

Do Deposited points get used first if you make a reservation in 2009?

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes and yes. The cost to deposit points to next year is $69. The online booking engine automatically takes rescued points first before current year's points. But it doesn't separately show deposited points versus the current year's allocation. They'll all show up as e.g. 2010 points. I'm not sure the system makes any distinction after you've done the deposit.

-Bob

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Sandy:

Blues has been absolutely accurate with all his information. There is a previous thread about the HGVC Points Protection Program that was started this year. I learned about it via this thread and it is now being heavily advertised on the HGVC website. You may wish check out this thread.
http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83046

You may also wish to visit the HGVC websites and sign up for the Club Points Protection Program. I know that I did. It was my choice to deposit any unused points into RCI if they are not used by the end of the year.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have two reservations right now, one using only 2008 rescued points the other using a mix of rescued and 2009 points. I am considering canceling the reservation with the mixed use of points first, then banking my 2009 points into 2010. Then go back an book the week. I know I am at risk but it might have to be cancelled anyway.

I would rather that all my points got saved to 2009 I don't want to have to chance that some will not get saved. I have to complete this in a phone call as I have two HGVC accounts and I need them to move points over the a single account prior to the save option. I joys of the Bay Club affiliate account. Pay fees first then have access to the points. Oh well I manage it OK.

benjaminb13

Reaction score
Yes, I've done that. I had some points deposited to the next year, and still didn't use them. I thought I'd lose them, but when talking to an HGVC rep, she suggested that I rescue them. I mentioned that they had already been moved once, but she told me that was no problem. And indeed, with the payment of another $69 fee, the points were rescued to the following year.

-Bob
P.S. This makes a very good argument for depositing instead of waiting and then rescuing.

Hi Blues I just rescued a bunch of 2008 points into 2009 . I asked if I would have the option to roll em over into 2010 if I didnt use them and she said. It would not be allowed. should I call back?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... I just rescued a bunch of 2008 points into 2009 . I asked if I would have the option to roll em over into 2010 if I didnt use them and she said it would not be allowed. Should I call back?

You cannot "rescue" your current-year points more than once. So, you will want to use them B4 you start in on your 2009-points. IMHO, if you are not sure that you'll use your 2009 points, you should "deposit" them into 2010 (and borrow them back if needed)... The 2009-point deposit must be done by 1/1/09.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Talent312 is correct. You can't rescue points more than once. What you could have done is deposit the 2008 points into 2009 (if you had done so before 12/31/2007), and then they'd be available to rescue from 2009 to 2010.

Thus, as Sandy indicated, it's better to deposit while you can, since you can then still rescue them later.

-Bob

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe these Deposits and Rescues can be done online via the web... No hold time there...

That option is ONLY available for current year club points. You can Deposit them into RCI or Rescue them into the next year (with limitation on Point usage).

You can not Deposit future points into future years, like 2009 points into 2010 via the web that must be done by phone.

I guess we will need to distinguish between Deposit into RCI and Deposit into next year use year. I chose the word "Deposit" because that is how HGVC refers to that action. HGVC also uses the terms "RCI Deposit" and "Rescued Points Deposit" to differeniate between these actions. (HGVC Guide, ClubPoint Stretching Section, page 170).

So I guess we have 3 deposit terms to keep straight....

Deposit
RCI Deposit
Rescued Points Deposit (limits usage of points at HGVC properties ONLY)

The other 2 points stretching options are....

Borrow
Convert to HHonors (No Deposited or Borrowed points can use this option).