• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A couple of buying direct options

AFJAY

Reaction score
Need some help...

Still new at this, but at least we decided to look at buying resale, and we are going to go with Hilton over Marriott.

One option to "get into" the program is the HGVC in Orlando / International Drive, 3500 points. for $ 2500.

The other is a 2 bedroom every year at the HGVC Flamingo Las Vegas 5000 points for $ 6500.

The final option is a 2 bedroom, every year at the HGVC Las Vegas strip the new one I think, 5000 points for $ 6000.

What do you think ???

AF Jay

i39249

TUG Member
Reaction score
you might want to check out the maintenance fees at the listed resorts. I would probably go with the vegas locations because of the 5000 points. If you are traveling with kids and can only travel in the high season, I would get at least 4800 points. All the HGVC Las Vegas locations generally have lower fees than the others. Currently at the Flamingo, there is a special assessment, although I believe it is the last year for the special assessment. They are finishing up their renovation. LV strip is continuing with building out the vegas strip location. They have two towers up and are adding others. Dunno if the M/F's will change or not when the construction is finished? Maybe others can chime in. For the extra $500 you might want to go with Flamingo for the consistency. Also since there is no ROFR, if you ever want to get rid of it, you can give it or sell it to anyone at any price range. I bought a 4800 point at the Flamingo recently for $7000, so at the price you listed, its not bad. Although there are others that are probably couple of hundred dollars less now due to the economy. I have bough Hilton and have no regrets. Its been great for my family.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
When dealing with HGVC its helpful to know which Hilton-season each unit is in. In terms of MF's, its better to own a 1-BR Platinum unit than a 2-BR Silver, for example, 'cuz annual MF's are calculated based on size, not season, which will significantly affect your cost of ownership.

However, you also need determine how many points you are likely to use each year... For some 3500 are enuff, but for others, 5000 would not be. If 3500 is enuff for you, paying $0.714 per point is a good deal. But if not, paying $1.20 per point is a better deal than paying $1.30 per point... unless that is the higher-priced unit has lower annual MF's. If the higher-priced unit has fewer BR's, then your annual MF's will be less and save you $$ over time.

Regardless, points are points and it makes little difference where you buy, as you can make "club" reservations at any HGVC or affiliated resort at 9-months out. You can reserve your home-resort at 12-months out, but few see that as a major advantage.

AFJAY

Reaction score
I will check, but I believe these are all Gold. float week. 2 bedroom units.

We have an 8 year old, so we want the extra bedroom, plus we thought we could get a better trade value for the 2 bedroom, rather then the a 1 bedroom.

I thought the platinum was just to have the Christmas / New years weeks. That would not be that important to us.

If we get into the program with the 3500 points, I think we would add more later, or upgrade.. but I need to look into how that would work.

Thanks for the input.

AFJAY

Reaction score
Points question and Benefits

2 additional questions...

1. If we do the 3500 points each year, can we bank these points in HGVC to another year so that we could use 3500+3500= 7000 points in one year, but not going one year ?

2. By buying resale do you still get all the benefits that a Direct purchase ?

HHonors Gold for life, able to roll / bank your points ?

jestme

Reaction score
Yes, you can "Rescue" this years points to HGVC to use next year, and you can "Borrow" from the following year to create a three week vacation in one year if you really wanted to. Be aware that the Rescue and Borrowed points can only be used in "Club" season (9 months out), not a home season reservation (12 months out).
You can also deposit points to RCI and have them there for up to 2 years, to be used for RCI exchanges.
There are many threads here about resale vs. direct purchase. The main, and seemingly irrelevant thing to most of us, is that resale points do not qualify for "Elite" status (15000 point level).

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
You do not get Honors Gold for life, you only receive honors Silver, as an HGVC member.

Gold is a season in HGVC. The highest season is Platinum, then Gold, Silver and Bronze.

In HGVC 2 BR vs 1 BR is not relevant for trading purposes, as with HGVC you do not deposit a unit into RCI for trade purposes. you only deposit a points value for what you want in RCI. It is a fixed point value for size and season. For example a Red 2 BR costs 4800 HGVC points. A red 1 BR costs 3400 HGVC points. It really doesn't matter if those points come from owning a 1 or a 2 BR in HGVC, just as long as you have the points.

It would be cheaper annually to own a 1 BR Platinum for 4800 than it would be to own a 2 BR Gold for 5000 points, as maintenance fees are based on size not season. You you would pay more MFs for the 2 BR as opposed to the 1 BR.

There is generally a slight premium to purchase a Platinum week, but over time the platinum week will yield a cheaper cost per point in MFs.

You lose nothing by buying resale except the right to participate in HGVC Elite program, which is added benefits for owning mega amounts of points. However this program in only available by buying direct with hilton. There are 3 levels of elite, at 14000, 24000 and 34000. In generally the resale is a better value, so just for go any Elite perks and buy resale.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I will check, but I believe these are all Gold. float week. 2 bedroom units.
I think the 3500 point package you referenced must be a Silver season week (see this point chart). There is no 3500 point Gold season week.

Since MFs are based on unit size, you would be paying double the maintenance fee per point than someone w/ a 7000 point (Platinum season) 2BR unit.

1. If we do the 3500 points each year, can we bank these points in HGVC to another year so that we could use 3500+3500= 7000 points in one year, but not going one year ?
Yes, that is easily done w/ HGVC. But if you went w/ those Silver season points, that would be an expensive week in terms of MFs. I believe a 2BR MF is ~$750/yr, so that 7K reservation would cost you $1500. Ouch!

Kurt

AFJAY

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice,

We are leaning towards 5000 points, Las Vegas, 2 bedroom Every year, Gold Season. for $ 6000. Agent says it will take 10 days to see if it will go through with Hilton.

AFJAY

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We are leaning towards 5000 points, Las Vegas, 2 bedroom, every year, Gold Season, for $6000. Agent says it will take 10 days to see if it will go through with Hilton.

That's reasonable and it will save you the expense of adding or trading up later. I'd say that 10 days is optomistic. I recall that they took about 2 weeks to get the waiver form to us.

AFJAY

Reaction score
If all this goes through... then what ?

We are going to the Big Island of Hawaii in Late Jan. for our encore package with Hilton, do you know if we still have to attend another presentation ?

Also noticed in the paperwork, "Buyer is responsible for Resort Transfer Fee"

What is that and how much is that ??

Does anyone know if Hilton will send all the "normal" stuff that someone would get by buying direct ?

Thanks

Jay

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's reasonable and it will save you the expense of adding or trading up later. I'd say that 10 days is optimistic. I recall that they took about 2 weeks to get the waiver form to us.

Agreed. My estoppel letter from HGVC took 17 days last July. Figure on 2-3 weeks.

-Bob

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jay,
The resort transfer fee was $250, but I seem to recall that it went up to $299 recently. That's basically your buyin to get into HGVC.

Hilton should send you everything that a direct buyer gets, though it may take a little while. Primarily that's the Member Guide, which is also available online once they set up your online account for you.

-Bob

AFJAY

Reaction score
Transfer fee

Ok, found out that we will get the 250 fee, since if this goes through we will close before the end of the year. Starting in Jan, the fee goes to 299.