• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

1900 plus Timeshares on Ebay

london

TUG Member
Reaction score
For many months timeshares listings for sale on Ebay were in the 1200 to 1400 range.

Now the total listings are over 1900, which tells me that lots of people are dealing with the post card companies.

Granted 90% of the listings are for weeks many folks are not interested in.

However, at least 10% are places that are in some demand.

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are 68 Marriotts for sale on e-bay right now. Thank goodness for ROFR because that will keep all of those weeks from selling for a cheap price.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There are 68 Marriotts for sale on e-bay right now. Thank goodness for ROFR because that will keep all of those weeks from selling for a cheap price.

Good one. Unfortunately the ROFR crowd won't get it. Can't say we haven't tried.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For many months timeshares listings for sale on Ebay were in the 1200 to 1400 range.

Now the total listings are over 1900, which tells me that lots of people are dealing with the post card companies.

Can someone summarize what is a PCC, and how you know that a timeshare listing on ebay is with a PCC? :confused:

TUG's glossary says:
Post Card Company - company who sends postcards to unsuspecting buyers recommending they pay thousands of dollars to give their timeshare away -- but that doesn't really help me understand. Thanks,

london

TUG Member
Reaction score
Post Card Companies

Can someone summarize what is a PCC, and how you know that a timeshare listing on ebay is with a PCC? :confused:

TUG's glossary says:
Post Card Company - company who sends postcards to unsuspecting buyers recommending they pay thousands of dollars to give their timeshare away -- but that doesn't really help me understand. Thanks,

Many of Ebay sellers, perhaps a group of 5 or 10, always have listings on eBAY, and their source of weeks is from the post card companies.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The main point is that with the PCC's, the owner who wants to get rid of his timeshare PAYS the PCC to take it off his hands and then they turn around and sell it for a profit.

Last edited:

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Granted 90% of the listings are for weeks many folks are not interested in.

However, at least 10% are places that are in some demand.

There are 2069 timeshares for sale right now on e-bay. As the stock market plunges, the ebay timeshare inventory is reaching all time highs. I wonder if ebay will reach 2500 timeshares for sale (at the same time) before 2008 ends?

duck_widow

Reaction score
More and more supply can only mean one thing for prices....down, down, down.

I am so tempted to buy my first TS, but will take the good advice of those here and read and learn all I can for at least six months first.

At this time, I'm leaning toward renting rather than buying unless I can find a great one for $1 where the MF's are low.

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not buying anymore weeks right now because I own many more weeks than I can use, and in this economy I might not be able to rent my excess weeks. I actually need to sell some weeks, but in this economy I will get nothing for them. :annoyed:

However, if I didn't own a week, now is the time that I would take the leap and buy. Remember to buy a week that you will want to use every year, at a location within driving distance of your home, with MF's considerably lower than you can rent a comparable unit for, and you will see why so many of us love timesharing. Renting at a location you are interested in is a good idea. Also you can join TUG and read the reviews of any resort you are considering to help you make an informed decision.

I would suggest a 2 bed room unit and make sure it is available when school is out (fixed or floating), so if you ever want to trade it, it will trade well. That being said, don't ever buy a week for the purpose of trading, buy it to use personally and you won't go wrong.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

My search only turns up 43, though I search by Auctions only as the buy it now and classified listings have prices that are laughable and I don't bother wasting my time with them.

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just counted at least 65 Marriott's for sale on e-bay (there are 72 total), and that is after knocking out the rentals and the ridiculous classified ad prices. Don't exclude buy it now when you search because there are several buy it now prices that aren't that bad, and many more buy it now prices with obo (or best offer) listed next to the the buy it now price. Examples: Newport coast gold buy it now for $9499 obo,ad for kauai platinum 1 bed 2 bath classified ad price $7000, grand vista platinum buy it now $10,900 starting price $9500, Summit Watch bronze week classified price of $2150 ,

and finally the LOWEST current BUY IT NOW price on a Marriott is Streamside at Vail week 36 annual which has a buy it now price of a whopping $5 http://cgi.ebay.com/MARRIOTT-VAIL-C...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

If you don't search all Marriott sales you miss deals where people list their week for a cheap classified ad price or a cheap buy it now price just to get rid of it before they have to pay another year's MF's. I always search them all and weed out the prices and sellers I am not interested in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
ROFR dead in the water

Don't think Marriott or any other major Timeshare company needs to spend money from credit lines they don't have to add inventory to timeshares that are not selling to unemployed consumners who are NOT traveling.
The recession will effect timeshare companies first

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score

Now the total listings are over 1900, which tells me that lots of people are dealing with the post card companies....
What would be really interesting is to know the "seasonally adjusted" number of timeshares available.

In other words, there often are a lot of timeshares for sale on eBay in fall and early winter when the MF bills come due. There are less for sale in the summer, when people are interested in vacationing. So, what I'd be interested in knowing is how many were for sale in November of 2007 and 2006.

tango

TUG Member
Reaction score
While there may be many listings on ebay. It has been said that most of these are listings by PCC's, and all the warnings regarding dealing with ebay sales pertain. When I check at the supposedly reputable sites for resale such as this board and Redweek, I don't find all that many, that I would be interested in, and they aren't at firesale prices.
I wish more of these people desperate to sell would list on boards like this.

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too wish that more owners would list their weeks for sale for "realistic prices" here on TUG, on Redweek, and on my resortnetwork etc. Most owners on those sites overprice the weeks they are trying to sell due to ignorance of the market or the feeling that they refuse to take a huge loss over what they paid when they bought originally.

Don't count e-bay out. I have purchased over 20 weeks on e-bay (along with several from individuals listing with redweek myresortnetwork etc), and I have only had one problem ever on any of my purchases. That being said, I do my due dilligence checking with the resort researching the specifics about the week and verifying the owner and the fact that there are no assessments due or coming before I buy. I only buy use a licensed bonded closing company, and I only buy from sellers with almost 100% positive feedback. Most of the PCC's on e-bay have a proven track record with reviews of their previous 100's of timeshare sales available for free to anyone who is interested. I would never use a PCC to sell a week, but I have purchased many prime weeks from them with nothing but great results.

Last edited:

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just bought another unit off ebay at our family's favorite resort for an incredible price and no closing costs or transfer fees. I looked a few minutes ago and saw an identical unit for sale on My Resort Network for thousands more than we paid. We've gotten a lot of great deals on ebay.

Marty

tango

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been keeping my eye out for a Ko Olina timeshare. Currently there is basically one on ebay. There was one that closed 2 days ago. Both were by same seller. But after reading this thread, I decided not to try for it.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84032

It just seems to me that a seller that has been removed by ebay, and has to start up again under a different name and rebuild their own favorable rating is not someone that I want to get involved with, especially with the knowledge of the insistence on using their own closing company.
Am I being too cautious, or is this the kind of outfit you would stay away from also.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Resellers are setting high minimums, and when they aren't met, they have to re-list, and I think you are seeing a lot of those coming back, week after week. I suppose the eBay sellers don't know how bad the economy is right now; otherwise, they wouldn't set reserves that are way beyond what we're willing to pay.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too wish that more owners would list their weeks for sale for "realistic prices" here on TUG, on Redweek, and on my resortnetwork etc. Most owners on those sites overprice the weeks they are trying to sell due to ignorance of the market or the feeling that they refuse to take a huge loss over what they paid when they bought originally.

Don't count e-bay out. I have purchased over 20 weeks on e-bay (along with several from individuals listing with redweek myresortnetwork etc), and I have only had one problem ever on any of my purchases. That being said, I do my due dilligence checking with the resort researching the specifics about the week and verifying the owner and the fact that there are no assessments due or coming before I buy. I only buy use a licensed bonded closing company, and I only buy from sellers with almost 100% positive feedback. Most of the PCC's on e-bay have a proven track record with reviews of their previous 100's of timeshare sales available for free to anyone who is interested. I would never use a PCC to sell a week, but I have purchased many prime weeks from them with nothing but great results.

I have had numerous dealings on ebay and for what's it's worth I won't be buying or selling anything over there again. I am not a fan. I seem to attract non-payers, resellers who don't finish the sales, and other sellers and buyers who find a way to separate me from my money. I'm finished with eBay.

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had numerous dealings on ebay and for what's it's worth I won't be buying or selling anything over there again. I am not a fan. I seem to attract non-payers, resellers who don't finish the sales, and other sellers and buyers who find a way to separate me from my money. I'm finished with eBay.

I am sorry that you have had bad luck on e-bay. I wouldn't sell a week on e-bay unless I had to sell it quickly, and even then it would be because I had no other options. On the other hand buying on e-bay has been great for myself and many other Tuggers. If I needed anther week the first place I would start looking is on e-bay. In fact the reason that I don't need to buy another week anywhere at any price is because e-bay has been so good to me that I own way too many weeks.

I am trying to not even look at e-bay because weeks are selling for less now than I have ever seen. I can't resist the great buys. My name is Tom and I am a timeshare addict.

esp1946

TUG Member
Reaction score
how silly cant believe you would want to pay all those maintence fees when u can rent for the same price or even cheaper as the week gets closer on vrbo or other sights i for one am getting rid of that mf ive listed at a fair price also on redweek bidshares tug 2 and ebay didnt sell so gave it away no more maintence fees for me!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I just counted at least 65 Marriott's for sale on e-bay (there are 72 total), and that is after knocking out the rentals and the ridiculous classified ad prices. Don't exclude buy it now when you search because there are several buy it now prices that aren't that bad, and many more buy it now prices with obo (or best offer) listed next to the the buy it now price. Examples: Newport coast gold buy it now for $9499 obo,ad for kauai platinum 1 bed 2 bath classified ad price $7000, grand vista platinum buy it now $10,900 starting price $9500, Summit Watch bronze week classified price of $2150 ,

and finally the LOWEST current BUY IT NOW price on a Marriott is Streamside at Vail week 36 annual which has a buy it now price of a whopping $5

I think you proved my point. Two Summit Watch bronze weeks just went for around $10, much less than those classified prices of >$2K several Marriott Streamside weeks have sold for $1 if they even had a bidder, only one fifth of the cost of that buy it now. Seveal MGV plats have also gone for uner or around $6000. This is why I choose to search only auctions and not waste my time with the buy it now and classifieds.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
how silly cant believe you would want to pay all those maintence fees when u can rent for the same price or even cheaper as the week gets closer on vrbo or other sights i for one am getting rid of that mf ive listed at a fair price also on redweek bidshares tug 2 and ebay didnt sell so gave it away no more maintence fees for me!

But you are just throwing your money away, you won't "own" anything in the end.:D

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
But you are just throwing your money away, you won't "own" anything in the end.:D

I own 7 Marriott weeks. I own tons of DVC points.I own a silver Bluegreen contract. I own a Foxrun week. I own a Royal Holiday silver contract that sticks to me like flypaper. And I would be glad to be done with all of them.

The poster who gave his weeks away sounds perfectly coherent to me. I got caught up in the charm of owning-- only to see my investment dwindle down to 1/2 of what I paid except, of course, for my DVC (and I bought everything, except my last two Marriotts, on the resale market)

Marriotts are listed on II Getaways for 1/2 of Maintenance fees.
RCI is notoriously underhanded.

I am disheartened with my portfolio to the point that I wish I never started with all these timeshares in the first place.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Looking Back.

I wish I never started with all these timeshares in the first place.
I can see myself feeling the same way if I had gone overboard -- or more accurately, more overboard than I've already gone.

Our 1st resale timeshare in 2002 was primo. Still is. Our "upgrade" to Phase 2 across the street (resale, for less) was icing on the cake.

We could have stood pat, but then -- inspired by TUG -- we went for 1 of those low-cost, tiger-trading South African timeshares in addition to our nice USA timeshare, as a way of having our cake (vacationing at our own USA timeshare) & eating it too (exchanging into other people's USA timeshares).

That worked out so well that after a couple of years we took the Points Plunge in a dinky & penny ante kind of way, lured by the chance of getting partial week reservations & even more by those 9,000-point Instant Exchange reservations into other people's timeshares.

With that, we truly were set for life with all the timeshare deeds we'll ever need -- & then some. But we were powerless to resist when the chance came along to buy back in at our original 2002 timeshare ( -- EEY -- ) for next to nothing.

If we had spent major serious money on any of that, I might well be singing the blues today.

As it happened, it's all still OK with only 1 complaint, to wit: Annual fees have gone way up, disproportionately, at our dinky USA heartland points timeshare. I don't know whether to suffer in silence, swallow hard, & keep on paying on the 1 hand, or on the other hand to figure out some way to shuck off that points timeshare & then try to stay in the timeshare points game via 3-year (renewable) RTU points-timeshare lease.

I'm grateful to have such a high class of problems.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​