• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport coast Villas: My chances?

JAKEANDERIC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi- I have had an ongoing request in for some time with II. What do you think my chances are for getting a unit here for check in Aug 23? ( I have the trading power with my deposited unit, which is Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club). TIA Janis

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
What size and week in Aruba did you deposit? That could make a difference. If it's a 2 bedroom and a decent week, my personal take is that NCV is so big I would venture an exchange will match eventually. Late August also helps (as opposed to July or early August).

David

JAKEANDERIC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I actually deposited only a studio, on purpose, as it was my understanding that since Newport ONLY had 2 bdrms, that I could pull a unit with ANY size deposit. The week was a gold week, but it is still high demand acc to II, as my 1 bdrm deposits still get me ACs.(not sure for how long that will last, though)- Janis

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
2009 was a bit easier to reserve for summer, so that bodes well for your exhange. Only thing I'd worry about is a trade power issue with a studio. Folks with 1 and 2BR deposits at equal resorts who are in the queue might trump you until later on in the process.

Personally, I'd give it 50/50 out of flexchange. During busy years (building not ahead of sales) I've had a hard time even getting late August. It varies from year to year...

Pat

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I actually deposited only a studio, on purpose, as it was my understanding that since Newport ONLY had 2 bdrms, that I could pull a unit with ANY size deposit. The week was a gold week, but it is still high demand acc to II, as my 1 bdrm deposits still get me ACs.(not sure for how long that will last, though)- Janis

You can put in a request for a resort that only has two bedroom units using a studio but you still need to have sufficient trade power to get the trade. The ability to request the larger unit doesnt mean that you will be able to get it. An off/shoulder season studio for a high season two bedroom unit is a pretty big upgrade. Studios in general are much lower demand than even 1 bedroom units. This is one reason why studio units are not eligible for ACs.

I would probably say you wont get the trade but it certainly isnt impossible. I would have back up plans in case you dont get it.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JAKEANDERIC
You can put in a request for a resort that only has two bedroom units using a studio but you still need to have sufficient trade power to get the trade. The ability to request the larger unit doesnt mean that you will be able to get it. An off/shoulder season studio for a high season two bedroom unit is a pretty big upgrade. Studios in general are much lower demand than even 1 bedroom units. This is one reason why studio units are not eligible for ACs.

I would probably say you wont get the trade but it certainly isnt impossible. I would have back up plans in case you dont get it.
I agree, just because you can request a 2 bed with a studio, doesn't mean that the studio will have the trading power to match with NCV. You might be able to get a late fall week, but I doubt you'll have any chance of getting a summer week.

Sorry.

PS IMHO, the 1 bed side of the aruba week, would very likely have enough trade power to get NCV.

PSS I'm moving this to the marriott board were the marriott owners will chime in.

Last edited:

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried to trade a studio from Timberlodge during Christmas holiday ski season 2008 for Thanksgiving week 2008 at NCV. I did not get the trade.

I finally resorted to checking the II site a few times every day during Flexchange, and voila, last Sunday morning I found it sitting there online and reserved it. My computer froze as I was trying to reserve it :annoyed: so I had to call II and ask them to find it for me, which they did.

I still don't understand why my ongoing request didn't capture the exchange since it was in flexchage but it worked out in the end. For your situation, I would keep the on-going request but still look out for the week you want, especially during flexchange.

JAKEANDERIC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, i checked my II account history. Major brain fart. It turns out that I DID use the 1 bdrm for my ongoing request. I have had so many exchanges done and ongoing, between my DVC exchanges, renting some points out (to pay my Marriott fees-) and 2 ACs for family, that I was wrong in what I had used. So I feel better now, hearing that the 1 bedroom at least has a chance for pulling Newport.... But, just in case it doesn't come thru- does anyone have any recommendations for alternatives? BTW, we don't really NEED a 2 bdrm, as we are a family of 4 (We are going to LA for a family event, then we want to bring the kids to San Diego for the Zoo, and do Legoland, etc) Janis

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep your eyes open for the Four Seasons in Carlsbad. It pops up every once in a while and you would be able to pull it with your 1 bedroom trade. I pull it up sometimes with my Shadow Ridge 1 bd. When we went to Legoland last August, we stayed at the Grand Pacific Palisades with our RCI Points account and it was very nice. I think it's connected to Legoland and they provide a free shuttle service to the park.

Oops - I overlooked the fact that you want to be in LA for a family event. Carlsbad is about 1.5 hrs away. Even Newport Beach is about 50 mins to 1hr from LA center. It looks like NCV would be your best bet if you want to stay in the LA area with your Marriott trade. Maybe others have some more ideas.

Last edited:

JAKEANDERIC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our family get-together is only one day...and I wouldn't mind driving if I could get the Four seasons. it was my impression that the Four Seasons Aviara does not deposit summer weeks, but I could be wrong. We actually stayed there about 8 years ago. A friend of ours worked for them and we got a ridiclously low "Friends and Family" rate. We had a gorgeous 1 bedroom villa. I remember even how beautiful the crib was that they brought in.

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your correct, Four Seasons doesnt deposit summer weeks.

ricki999

TUG Member
Reaction score
This one popped up during flexchange this past summer.

Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara
FSA
Carlsbad , CA , USA Resort Details & Photos
Jun 27 2008 - Jul 04 2008 e 2 2 e22

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
This one popped up during flexchange this past summer.

Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara
FSA
Carlsbad , CA , USA Resort Details & Photos
Jun 27 2008 - Jul 04 2008 e 2 2 e22

An occasional efficiency will pop up, I should have been clear I meant at least a one bedroom which is what the OP wants. Nice sighting though.

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was going to say that I could have sworn I was seeing the Four Seasons come up in the summer as I was searching for NCV. It's good to know I wasn't seeing things!

Last edited: