• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lop eared Rabbits as pets

mamiecarter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just read a book about Lop Eared bunnies. They sound like great pets. Anyone have them? Are they really as friendly as dogs? Can they really coexist with dogs and cats?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I grew up on a farm and rabbits are pretty dumb (compared to dogs and cats) and they poop like crazy. I don't think they are smart enough to be as friendly as dogs. Dogs and cats would be their natural predators.

Here is someone's experience with keeping rabbits as pets: http://www.mindspring.com/~tbgray/rabbits.htm

Last edited:

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had 2 rabbits and they did poop like crazy. We ended up giving them both away. They were so cute but the endless poop, pee and smell made me give them away. We kept them inside for the most part, and that probably was part of the problem.

I still miss them, but don't miss the mess.

The kids promissed they'd take care of them, but of course I was the one left cleaning the cages.

I'd say pass - unless you want to constantly clean up after them.

mamiecarter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Honest people swear lop ears are different from other rabits

I looked at adoption sites and lop ear owners swear they are smarter, more affectionate and more trainable than plain old rabbits.Most seem to have free range of the house and are letter box trained. ANY ONE OWN THEM???

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Here is a good article about training your dogs not to eat the rabbit - it says they should never be left alone together and that high-strung dogs are not good candidates to become bunny buddies. http://www.rabbit.org/journal/1/dogs.html

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a lop-eared rabbit and he is a wonderful pet! I adopted him from the local animal shelter where I volunteer...basically because no one else wanted him and I felt sorry for him. Now I can't imagine life without him :) He is litter box trained, follows me all around the house and is actually far friendlier than our cat. He even comes when called !
To make good pets (and for their health,) rabbits should be spayed or neutered, just like a dog or cat. My bun is not afraid of my cat in the least, but the cat is very jealous of him, so I don't trust them alone together. I have heard that some cats (and dogs) and bunnies can co-exist peacefully but I would introduce them slowly and watch them carefully. Rabbits can make great pets, but in general they are easily frightened, so a quiet household is best. They aren't good pets for children..(too delicate) contrary to popular opinion. Check the "House Rabbit Society" website for lots of good information that will help you decide if a rabbit is a good pet for you. Good luck!
Deb

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked at adoption sites and lop ear owners swear they are smarter, more affectionate and more trainable than plain old rabbits.Most seem to have free range of the house and are letter box trained. ANY ONE OWN THEM???

Have had a dwarf lop ear for 4 years now. A real charmer, affectionate, gentle and sweet nature. Yes, she is litter box trained and walks on a lead outside the home :p (not desexed - lots of wild rabbits around). The key to enjoying a rabbit is understanding their behaviour. Doesn't like to be picked up but loves to be patted whilst on the floor, periodically likes to mark her territory by peeing on the furniture :(, needs to chew and likes apple branches but also computer and electrical cables, cushions, furniture. Shows affection by purring like a cat, licking and also hopping around us in circles whilst pooping :annoyed:. Plays by "throwing" things so needs to have suitable things to throw rather than food and water bowls. Lets us know she wants to go out for a walk by pulling on our trouser legs (or in the absence of trousers, biting our legs). Walking a rabbit on a lead involves having a long lead (mine is 10 foot long with harness fitting) and unlike a dog you run after the rabbit and stop them from going places you don't want to go (under bushes etc). Having rabbit poop in the garden attracts more rabbits. Haven't experienced having a dog/cat and rabbit but do know that our rabbit loves to "visit" other animals - chickens, horses and the neighbours unfriendly snarling dog :eek: . We now keep our rabbit in a hutch during our absence from the home but she comes in to join us in the evening.

nightnurse613

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our neighbors went on vacation and we took care of their rabbit for a while. I can't add anything to what others have said except they POOP and PEE a lot. They can be litter box trained and frankly, I think my husband preferred the rabbit to the cat. Neither like to be held but the rabbit would come to you when you wanted it to, versus the cat who only came when IT wanted to.:shrug: This one also bit (I don't know if it was for attention but, it got my husband's attention a couple of times!

Last edited:

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Had one years ago

Had one years ago when I lived in an apartment. It was fine as a pet until he started chewing on cords and eating the paint off the balcony. My sister also had one and left it with my Mom one weekend. It got really warm that weekend and the rabbit died from heat exhaustion.
Bart

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had both "normal" and lop eared bunnnies - we got all of them young, and ALL were litter box trained. I had no problem with them with either my cat or my shelties. I don't know if I would trust most dogs with them. Depends on the individual animal - my sister's cat sleeps curled up with her guinea pig, and her schnauzer, mini dach, cat and 2 guinea pigs all get along fine

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
As others have mentioned..they do chew! I picked up the phone to make a call one day ...the phone was dead & I realized Bun had chewed through the cord when I wasn't looking! So you have to 'rabbit proof' your house...I bought aquarium tubing and put it around exposed wires, phone cords, etc !