• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need some guidance on setting up a secure FTP location

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Web site development is not my strong suit. I can set things up once I know what I need to do, but often times I need help figuring out where to start. I'm in one of those situations now.

Here's my situation. I want to create a ftp directory on my website that is accessible to a client that we can use to transfer files.
  • My client needs to be able to both upload and download in the directory.
  • The directory needs to be password protected.
  • The directory needs to be inaccessible to spiders and searchbots.
  • The login and password need to be separate from my login and password that I use for overall web site management. (It's a hosted domain.)

I'm sure there's a simple solution for this but I don't know what it is or where to start. I did try Googling, but didn't hit anything that gave me that much help. Most of what I found was focused on serving up pages from a secure site. That's not what I need. I just want to set up an ftp area that requires a password to access and that is hidden to bots.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
you probably aren't going to get this with a simple web hosting account. You may need a virtual host.

With your own virtual host including it's own static IP address, you can configure ftp the way you want to, with a password/account for the client, but ftp is not very secure. I would use ssh/scp if you can. If you go the virtual host route, see if the provider supports ssh. If they do, you can do it with ssh.

Same idea though, you would disable ssh password logins for security purposes, and create a public/private key for the client to use, and send them their keys. That way only clients with their key can access the machine. Each user has their own set of keys and directories that they can access.

On linux, openssh is a pretty standard package. On windows, I'm using cygwin/ssh, but there's a standalone package available also that doesn't require the cygwin libraries. I don't remember the name of the standalone package. I would probably not use windows on the server side for this, but it might work.

-David

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Update on this. GoDaddy is my host and it was a simple add-on to my account.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
nice.

-David

It's part of a service they have that is designed to allow people who travel to synch files on-line. So I just set up the folder and share the password on a need to know basis.