• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Group Mayan Resort - Cabo San Lucas

petestan

Reaction score
Hi Tug BBS users -- I am in need of your collective wisdom. My family and I vacationed in Cabo San Lucas this past August and bought a 2 week TS at the Grand Mayan Resort (Mayan Regency level). While we are ok with this purchase as we expected to use the TS every other year and rent it out the in-between years, we are concerned because we have contacted the rental agency recommended by GM, which is based in Flordia (Royal Marketing Inc)and although they have charged our credit card the $300 up front fee, they have done nothing towards renting the unit. Based on on-line research, we know understand why as we have discovered that RMI is an unethical company in that they take your money and do not perform any services. We are within the 90 cc dispute period so we would expect to get our money back. However, we are concerned that our use of the TS might likewise be in peril b/c this incident has left us with a bad taste and are concerned that GM will not honor the TS contract.

4 questions if I may---

(1) what has been your experience with Groupo Mayan as a resort operator -- that is, is it a good experience, will GM honor the TS contract ? Or are we facing a potentially negative situation ?

(2) what are your experiences with the Exchange companies promoted by GM - that being, FSX, HSI and RCI? will they honor the GM TS exchange on a fair basis?

(3) Since we are within the 90 cc dispute period, what would be the ramnifications if we were to dispute the entire credit card charges ? Does GM have their money and our dispute would essentially be with cc issuing company (e.g, VISA)? Would our credit rating take a hit ?

(4) Who do you recomend that we work with to rent out our unit ?

thanks

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
1st the Regency Level is a Mayan Palace

Not a Grand Mayan,

Hi Tug BBS users -- I am in need of your collective wisdom. My family and I vacationed in Cabo San Lucas this past August and bought a 2 week TS at the Grand Mayan Resort (Mayan Regency level). While we are ok with this purchase as we expected to use the TS every other year and rent it out the in-between years, we are concerned because we have contacted the rental agency recommended by GM, which is based in Flordia (Royal Marketing Inc)and although they have charged our credit card the $300 up front fee, they have done nothing towards renting the unit. Based on on-line research, we know understand why as we have discovered that RMI is an unethical company in that they take your money and do not perform any services. We are within the 90 cc dispute period so we would expect to get our money back. However, we are concerned that our use of the TS might likewise be in peril b/c this incident has left us with a bad taste and are concerned that GM will not honor the TS contract.

4 questions if I may---

(1) what has been your experience with Groupo Mayan as a resort operator -- that is, is it a good experience, will GM honor the TS contract ? Or are we facing a potentially negative situation ?

They are a great company, once you get past the sales force, you don't have anything to worry about in that regard.
(2) what are your experiences with the Exchange companies promoted by GM - that being, FSX, HSI and RCI? will they honor the GM TS exchange on a fair basis?
Again, the Mayan Regency is the MP, not the GM. The trade companies SFX, and RCI along with TPI and DAE, HTSE all give fair and equitable trades. I am unfamiliar with HSI.
(3) Since we are within the 90 cc dispute period, what would be the ramnifications if we were to dispute the entire credit card charges ? Does GM have their money and our dispute would essentially be with cc issuing company (e.g, VISA)? Would our credit rating take a hit ?
Are you asking about charging back the $300 for the rental prepay or???
(4) Who do you recomend that we work with to rent out our unit ?
If you expect to net anything on a rental, you will need to handle them yourself. Read the how to sell/rent area here on Tug.

fwiw, Greg

petestan

Reaction score
Thanks Greg -- actually when I was using "GM" I was intending "Groupo Mayan" (not Grand Mayan) but I can easily understand the confusion. Good to know that your experiences with Groupo Mayan have been good and worthwhile.

Regading the charge back, I was asking about the ramnifications of disputing the entire cost of the TS interest -- over $20K (and not the $300).

thanks

gr8grover

Reaction score
Mayan Palace

I have owned at the Grand Mayan for about 5 years and find them to be a very reputable TS operator. We love the facilities and have never had a problem vacationing when and where we want.

We have traded with RCI and the Registry Collection.

When we upgraded we were enrolled in Elite Reservations which is operated independantly from GM and although the sales person would not go as far as saying they guaranteed the unit would rent, we have not had luck renting the last two years after depositing our week with Elite. Both years we have had to roll the week into RCI.

Obviously Royal Marketing is the same type of deal and they really have nothing to do with Grupo Mayan.

Mydogs2big

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own several Mayan Palace and one Grand Mayan and we use them and usually we use the extra weeks as well. Many of our friends now rent from us every year. Good thing because we won't be able to use them as much now, (I got melanoma recently)

Anyhow, we just love the resorts and the staff and the reasonable maintenance fees. We haven't yet had any problems getting the weeks we want when we call six months in advance.

We did once buy a vacation package from their sales force, and man it was a complete waste of $3900!! WORTHLESS

I think you only have five days to change your mind about a timeshare in Mexico. That said if you're stuck with it, use it you'll love it. They are great!

I don't think it trades really well with RCI right now because the group always holds a stash of weeks to give them and so many people own, you can imagine how many last minute cancellations there are. In other words, high availability = low trade value.

Pizza67

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've owned with Groupo for several years now and have had no problems. Unfortunately, you may have to chalk the RMI up to an expensive lesson.

I'll even go so far as to admit that I've been there, done that. Completely my fault (I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt - forgot I was dealing with TS Sales people, but absolutely no regrets as to owning our TS). Then, I went out of character and made a decision without researching it first (also prior to joining here).

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think that will work.

You have signed a legal contract that since you didn't cancel within the 5 day rescission period, would stand up in court.

I am reasonably sure that they or any other company would come after you for all the costs including cost of attorneys fees and court costs to enforce their rights to collect.

I doubt that the CC company would allow your to reject this charge as you did receive the membership.

My advice is to now learn how best to use your units. If you have questions, email me, I will be glad to help.

Greg

Thanks Greg -- actually when I was using "GM" I was intending "Groupo Mayan" (not Grand Mayan) but I can easily understand the confusion. Good to know that your experiences with Groupo Mayan have been good and worthwhile.

Regading the charge back, I was asking about the ramnifications of disputing the entire cost of the TS interest -- over $20K (and not the $300).

thanks

Grand Vic

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've owned with Groupo for several years now and have had no problems. Unfortunately, you may have to chalk the RMI up to an expensive lesson.

I'll even go so far as to admit that I've been there, done that. Completely my fault (I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt - forgot I was dealing with TS Sales people, but absolutely no regrets as to owning our TS). Then, I went out of character and made a decision without researching it first (also prior to joining here).

I have to agree with Pizza67. We have tried to use the rental company twice with absolutely NO results. May as well have thrown the money in the wind. But we did learn our lesson. Listen to Greg if you need help - he is the GM expert and one heck of a nice guy!

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Use your TS and enjoy it

ptestan:

I understand you purchased your TS at Mayan Palace while vacationing in Cabo San Lucas. Therefore, I assume you were not staying at the Mayan Palace at the time you made your purchase. Congratulations!!! You have made an excellent choice.

We stayed at the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya in May 2008 and had a fabulous vacation. The Mayan Palace Riviera Maya shares the same property. During that time we encountered numerous owners at both the Mayan Palace and the Grand Mayan. Many of these people owned at both the Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan. Everyone we met was well pleased with their purchase. (We attended the high pressure sales pitch but that was the only negative experience of our trip.) The Grand Mayan has an arrangement with Hilton that will allow us to return to other Grand Mayan facilities just about anytime we want and we intend to do so. Frankly, I think you would be better off using your timeshare for personal enjoyment rather than renting it out. You now have a golden opportunity to explore Mexico first class. Welcome to tugbbs.

celperf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Pizza67. We have tried to use the rental company twice with absolutely NO results. May as well have thrown the money in the wind. But we did learn our lesson. Listen to Greg if you need help - he is the GM expert and one heck of a nice guy!

message deleted--advertising is not permitted on this forum. Click on the TUG Marketplace at the top of the page--that's the place for ads

Last edited by a moderator: