• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Soooo tired of sign stealing and other election rudeness

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the last few months I saw one sign being stolen, have seen 3 that were knocked down, and another 4-5 that have disappeared - all in the same small area near the entry to our development. My daughter was wearing a candidate's t-shirt and was yelled at rudely by an older couple last night at the grocery store. :eek: Both of us have been spoken to rudely about the candidate on our buttons. In one of her classes, a student made a vulgar comment about another student's button, that I think should have gotten him sent directly to the principal. :eek:

I'm really tired of and appalled by this immaturity. I would hope that those who care enough to have chosen a candidate also care about the democratic process that allows them that choice, and would thus respect the rights of people to choose other candidates! :doh:

Last edited:

JEFF H

Reaction score
The country appears to be more polarized this election cycle than anytime I can remember.
Many of our politicians irresponsibly use hate and fear to whip citizens into a frenzy in hopes of furthering their own agendas.
This then causes distress in the population and some people will act badly.
The real danger is when it leads to hyper excitation of some of the less stable among us. These individuals could then act out in violent ways.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Depends On The Candidate.

If it's campaign signs, etc., supporting my candidate, then vandalism like that makes me good & mad.

If it's posters & signs, etc., for the other side getting trashed, then I shrug it off as Just 1 Of Those Things.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard on the radio about someone videoing a yard sign thief. Turned out to be the opposing candidate. He's up on theft and vandalism charges now.

We've had to re-stick some in the ground where they were stomped down or pulled out, but so far none have come up mysteriously missing. I thought about getting one of those cameras with a motion detector that I see in hunters catalogs, but it really isn't that important.

Another week and we can all put it on the back burner for a while.

Jim Ricks

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've thought about connecting them to an electrified fence if one were nearby :D or putting an exploding dye balloon on them :D

And I do care which candidate they're for - it's so immature.

Well, I'll be driving by the area where the signs are - or aren't - soon, so will see how many went bye-bye today.

Art

TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as the signs are on the lawns of supporters, they should be protected.

On the other hand, most likely no one has approved the signs posted on the entry to a development. As unauthorized signs, they are litter so if someone cleans up the area, so much the better.

I don't remove signs, but I do put the politicians behind such signs on my don't vote for him/her list.

BTW, there is a pretty strong tradition in our community that the candidates remove their signs on the day after the election.

Art

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I have had my sign stolen, and it was sad to hear about the attempt on the life of one candidate already. Its horrible that America still has a lot of growing up to do.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as the signs are on the lawns of supporters, they should be protected.

On the other hand, most likely no one has approved the signs posted on the entry to a development. As unauthorized signs, they are litter so if someone cleans up the area, so much the better.

The area with the "Welcome to XXX" sign has traditionally been the place for campaign signs, house for sale signs, and so forth. If there were NO signs allowed, then of course the signs shouldn't be there at all.

However, they seem to be allowed at least in practice, and I know of no restriction, so if ONE candidate's sign is taken while the other remain - that's unacceptable.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
:eek: Anyone see the news story video on msn home page where a teenager was shot at by a home owner? The teenager was taking his yard sign. Pretty drastic measure if you ask me.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wish they would be more concerned about Taking them down after election day.

AMEN Bruce !!!

I hope for a law that requires candidates to REMOVE their respective political signs from public property within 2-weeks AFTER an election.

Fines, for signs not removed, will be based on the number of days beyond the 2-week period.

ie:
7-days $100 per sign
14-days $300 per sign
21-days $500 per sign.

The fines should be against the candidate.

Bet'cha signs will be removed... promptly.
Or the city treasury will experience a windfall.

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just because elections are dirty everywhere does not mean that its ok.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I have had my sign stolen, and it was sad to hear about the attempt on the life of one candidate already. Its horrible that America still has a lot of growing up to do.

I am not sure what you mean by this statement. Raucous elections are not only an American phenomenon.

Just because elections are dirty everywhere does not mean that its ok.

Raucus is one thing - I'm thinking of loud rallies for example. But interfering with other people's freedom of speech by stealing their signs is immature. Insulting people because of their choice of candidate is rude and also immature.

Think of all the countries where people are not allowed to elect their leaders, or where it's a sham "election" with only one candidate.

And I agree, the signs should come down within a day or so after the election! I recall reading articles about local ordinances on this, but still the signs linger too long.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
AMEN Bruce !!!

I hope for a law that requires candidates to REMOVE their respective political signs from public property within 2-weeks AFTER an election.

Fines, for signs not removed, will be based on the number of days beyond the 2-week period.

ie:
7-days $100 per sign
14-days $300 per sign
21-days $500 per sign.

The fines should be against the candidate.

Bet'cha signs will be removed... promptly.
Or the city treasury will experience a windfall.

Considering the politicians write the laws, this may require an initiative to get on the ballot. Then again, who is responsible if initiative signs remain? :shrug:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Considering the politicians write the laws, this may require an initiative to get on the ballot. Then again, who is responsible if initiative signs remain? :shrug:

Just what we here in California need.....another initiative!!!!:eek: :D :doh:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score

grest

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've had signs stolen too...one of my friends takes them in the house every night now after repeatedly having to replace hers...dang shame.
Connie

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too feel a deep polarization in this country and I blame it on two things, mainly the media which has become anything but journalism. Talking heads with definite points of view, as opposed to unbiased reporting of the facts. Oh I miss Huntley-Brinkley, Walter Cronkite type of reporting! I can't find a single TV news program that is unbiased, no matter what theya say. It sickens me, being a graduate of a fine college of journalism.

Secondly, I think this presidential campaign was started way too soon. I'm sick of it and I think its length has given more time for animosity to brew and turn into hate for the other side.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Jerna - Lizzum.

I too feel a deep polarization in this country and I blame it on two things, mainly the media which has become anything but journalism. Talking heads with definite points of view, as opposed to unbiased reporting of the facts. Oh I miss Huntley-Brinkley, Walter Cronkite type of reporting! I can't find a single TV news program that is unbiased, no matter what theya say. It sickens me, being a graduate of a fine college of journalism.
My father, a newspaperman all his life who rose to the top of his profession, felt pretty much the same -- so much so that he held collegiate journalism programs in disdain. (He was old school, obviously -- bigtime.)

I'm not even sure Dad would agree that Walter Cronkite didn't let some bias slip out over the airwaves now & then. In any case that was then & this is now.

As for me, I so strongly disbelieve in journalism -- or, more precisely, I believe so strongly that objective journalism has all but disappeared -- that I have started referring to today's counterfeit version of it as Jerna-Lizzum because it has strayed so far from the real mccoy.

Who would have thought ?

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Couldn't agree with you more. I'm so tired about hearing how candidate "a" will ruin the country and candidate "b" is the answer when neither are acceptable.

The media has taken over and now determines what is right and wrong. Most Americans are glued to the TV (no wait, they are glued to the sofa...).

I would love for the country to move towards real progress instead of following false idols, commercials, and an easy buck.

Secondly, I think this presidential campaign was started way too soon. I'm sick of it and I think its length has given more time for animosity to brew and turn into hate for the other side.

janapur

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have also experienced this "polarization" like no other year before. I am no longer comfortable openly discussing whom I am supporting for fear of being verbally attacked. Hey, I love a healthy debate, but nobody seems interested in hearing both sides. My husband is a perfect example. I eavesdropped while he was listening to a very well known nationally syndicated radio host tell a caller that her so called friends were no friends at all because they supported the opposing candidate. Are we expected to lose friends and disown family because of their right to vote differently? Thankfully (or should I say hopefully) I won't be the one going to bed disappointed election night. ;)

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
T. U. G. - B. B. S.

Most Americans are glued to the TV (no wait, they are glued to the sofa...).
Plus, some of us are glued to the computer desk night & day trying keep our glazed-over eyeballs focused on TUG-BBS.

chrisnwillie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've had signs stolen too...one of my friends takes them in the house every night now after repeatedly having to replace hers...dang shame.
Connie

I have had a half dozen signs stolen from my front lawn in the last 3 weeks.....so the last 2, I brought in the house every night....and low and behold, I left my house for 10 minutes during the day to go run errands and they were still stolen.

I live in a town who is primarily one party, except me.....:eek: so these signs were all for the 'other' party. ;)