• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie here who needs help

Ernie

TUG Member
Reaction score
First of all I just want to say thank you to the fine people who started this forum. I have learned alot already but still need some help.

Ok ok I realize how stupid I was for letting myself get screwed. But Im stuck with this red floating week every odd year now so I want to get something out of it. I bought a week with Westgate in LV at Planet Hollywood Twin Towers. We were told it would be ready in 2009 well that was the first lie because it wont be ready until 2011. I did get two bonus week certificates, plus I can stay in any Westgate resort after the certificates expire if I pay what ever the yearly maintenance fee and taxes are LOL!

But anyway they signed us up for a year with Interval which seems to be an ok company but expensive. Does Redweek.com do the same thing as Interval just cheaper?

This is all so confusing I may just end up giving this away to get it off my back. So far the Est. maintenance fees are $449 every odd year. They dont even know what the taxes are going to be and Im afraid to find out.

Thanks for any help!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Taking your last point first, the property taxes will be included as part of your maintenance fees.

Redweek handles exchanges, just like II does. They both have advantages. However, II has more exchange options as it handles about a million exchanges each year and has almost two million members. I have no idea how many exchanges Redweek handles; exchanging is a new venture for it. My guess would be well under 10,000, annualized.

II also has Getaway week vacations (mostly off-season weeks) available for purchase at mostly reasonable rates. And if you deposit a week that is in high demand by other exchangers, it's likely that you'll get an Accommodation Certificate good for an extra week of vacation.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Welcome to TUG! :hi: Most of us started out buying from the developer, too, so quit beating yourself up and start figuring out how you can get the most out of your ownership. ;)

$449 is quite a low maintenance fee, unless you are paying that amount every year for an every other year ownership.

Is your timeshare completely paid off? If not, it's virtually impossible to sell it or give it away.

Redweek and II are very different - II probably has 100 times more inventory. I use Redweek, but I use other exchange companies, too. If I were you I would watch the online exchange inventory at Redweek for awhile and see if it will meet your needs, before depositing your week. What you see online on Redweek is the total inventory - that's everything, so if you aren't seeing exchanges you would like, then it's not for you.

Also, you can get an evaluation of your week at Redweek for free. What you want to do is submit the best hypothetical week that you could possibly reserve and use their evaluation feature to see how many Redweek points it's worth. That's probably a holiday week like New Years, or Easter. Then you can see what your point value will get you on Redweek.

The main differences:

Redweek is a points system
Redweek is all online - there are no ongoing requests - all deposits appear online.
Redweek does not get very many deposits of Gold Crown/5 Star Timeshares
Redweek is cheaper
Redweek will let you add cash to points to buy a more "expensive" exchange
Redweek does not give bonus weeks or AC's
Redweek will allow you to rent exchange weeks

The best thing you can do at this point is hang around TUG and do your homework. I wouldn't take any action until I'd been here for a few months and learned the tricks of the trade.

Good luck!

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Is that still true.?

No interest in using Redweek as it has been a disappointment for me, but I thought they "clarified their policy"

Yes, it is absolutely true and has been much discussed on the Exchange Board.

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at an entirely DIFFERENT perspective. "IF" you were told that the timeshare property would be available in 2009 (completed construction, and availability to use), and now it will NOT be ready until 2011, I would think that you could get out of the complete contract.

I will bet you that the developer will "try" to tell you that the completion date doesn't matter, and that your are "stuck". Counter that arguement with the "available usage" time, and that the developer DID NOT meet that requirement. "DEMAND" all of your $$$ back (Immediately) and have them cancel the contract. (Of course, they will fight you "tooth and nail" to keep the contract "in force".)

Contact the state's real-estate department, and the attorney general, and attempt to file "fraud" charges against the developer.

I would think that you have a "very good case" against the developer, and the contract will probably be cancelled.

Please let us know what happens.

Tony

Ernie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. To anwser some questions it is almost paid off so selling would be an option soon or really should use the term give away. We were told several times that 2009 was the date but they somehow slipped in 2011 in the contract so Im screwed on that argument. I even called WG Owner relations to complain about it but they said no its 2011. I got a call from someone at Interval one day about exchanging and other stuff and I told the guy the towers dont even open until 2011 and he seemed very surprised also and thought the opening was 2009. The $449 is just Estimated matainence fees which does not include the taxes yet. The good thing is I only have to pay them on odd years.

Thank you for the welcome and advice.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Westgate has some shady practices thats for sure. However, thier resorts are nice. If you get a chance to stay at Westgate Canyons in Park City, UT that would be a nice place to visit. If you have two certificates and you can trade them for 2 weeks. Westgate Flamingo in Vegas and Canyons would make a nice vacation.

I bought from Westgate 12 years and I too paid too much for WVV. Over the years and taking the time to learn how to use my timeshare (especially from TUG) it has worked out to be a good deal.

DONT GIVE YOUR TIMESHARE AWAY.... LEARN HOW TO USE IT....:whoopie: