• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Selling DVC privately?

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has sold their DVC points privately (or bought them privately) and wondering how much extra paperwork might be involved. Is it easy enough to do?

With some other timeshare purchases, I have used an escrow/closing company, or a timeshare transfer company for the paperwork. Are there certain closing companies that are more experienced with DVC ROFR paperwork than others? Does Disney require anything special? Thanks for any advice.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
DVC Resale subject to ROLF

We purchased a resale and used Timeshare Closing Services
in Orlando Florida - when we decide to sell I plan to call TCS

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has sold their DVC points privately (or bought them privately) and wondering how much extra paperwork might be involved. Is it easy enough to do?

With some other timeshare purchases, I have used an escrow/closing company, or a timeshare transfer company for the paperwork. Are there certain closing companies that are more experienced with DVC ROFR paperwork than others? Does Disney require anything special? Thanks for any advice.
There's really 2 issues. Finding a buyer and doing closing and transfers. IMO, they are independent issues for DVC. If you sell through a broker, I'd likely use a closing service so as not to complicate things. If you find a buyer privately, I'd think it'd be up to them as to how to proceed. IMO, one does not need title insurance for a timeshare such as DVC which is the big reason to consider a closing agent IMO. The only systems that I know of that are easier to convert than DVC are the RTU where there isn't a deed involved.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I sold my BWV two, maybe three, years ago. I listed it for sale-- my buyer found me---and voila it sold. I did use a closing company that specializes in DVC though, and that helped tremendously. Since the buyer pays for closing I was glad we used them. It cost my buyer $400, I think, for closing, title insurance, and doc prep work. In fact, my contract didn't pass ROFR for my buyer, but DVC allowed us to reissue it for $2 more per point, and then it passed ROFR. I kinda think they did that for me because I was a member and because there wasn't a broker making money on the deal. All I know is my buyer was super patient, and now that I have learned I can do it myself, I plan to do it again with my 170 point Vero Beach contract. I hate to give 11-12% to anyone. Call me cheap, but that's a lot of money to give away.

Last edited:

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Thanks for the replies. I think that I will try this myself after we get back from BCV next month. We'll see...if we fall in love all over again, then all bets are off :D .

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
YOu can do it yourself! Just list it on Redweek and the other usual places. Since you will be saving about $10/point in comission, you can even offer it a few dollars less and have it sell faster. There are many private transfer services that only charge $150-$250 and that way the buyer can have low fees too.

Katherine