• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The airlines strike yet again.....flight changes

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I know it happens all the time. I know it happens on every airline. I know that increased fuel costs have caused consolidation and I know that I must routinely check and recheck my reservations.

This time it's our United flight to Hawaii. Without so much as an E-mail or a phone call, our flight time has been moved up from 09:50 to 06:00, our seating assingments were changed and our conection city has changed.

I don't so much mind the fact that things have to change due to the changing financial landscape for the airlines but how difficult could it be to let someone know they're leaving almost 4 hours earlier than before? And how tough would it be to keep families sitting together when they booked together?

I know people are going to go with the least expensive flights but, when flying almost 5,000 miles in one day, customers really don't need that extra stress of showing up to the airport, only to find they're flight was moved up 4 hours and the airline didn't bother to let them know.

Enough already. Just let me know when my flight is going to leave and keep me and my wife together. It seems the least that they can do.

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
My United flight to Orlando in 2 weeks was canceled and I received an automated phone call that glitched while giving me the particulars. I called the 800 number given and spoke to an actual human being who promptly and courtiously handled my rebooking. Later I received a confirmation e-mail. So far so good but I'm checking often as my departure date gets closer. This will be my last airline flight for a good long time. I'm waiting for the bridge to Hawaii to be built. :D

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Flight time from LA to Vegas is about an hour, gate to gate with in the air time running roughly 45 minutes.

Reno Air (acquired years ago by American) did just what you described by "realigning" their routes. They cancelled my flight and put the entire passenger list on a flight which left two hours earlier without notifying anyone of us. It was not a fun experience for anyone, particularly the flyers with Reno that day.

I was rebooked to fly to Reno and then on to Vegas. Between the delays and one bump, it took me 11 hours to get from LA to Vegas that day.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I find United inconsistant about notification. Most of the time I'll receive the automated phone call. Once in awhile I'll get an email. But, just to be safe, I generally check every so often just to make sure nothing has changed.

Danette

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was rebooked to fly to Reno and then on to Vegas. Between the delays and one bump, it took me 11 hours to get from LA to Vegas that day.

:annoyed: You could have driven there and back in that time!

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I find United inconsistant about notification. Most of the time I'll receive the automated phone call. Once in awhile I'll get an email. But, just to be safe, I generally check every so often just to make sure nothing has changed.

In my experience, they're all pretty inconsistant. We've had our worst luck with Delta and better luck with American. If it hadn't been for having enough FF miles to pay for one ticket, I doubt I'd have been flying United this time.

They're ALL bad. It's just to bad that after a person has paid the asking price that the airlines can't be a little more consistant with change notifications. But, the cheapest price wins and consumers will put up with a lot of grief to save a couple of bucks.

At least I've flown enough to know to constantly be looking out for myself. I feel very sorry for those that fly once in a blue moon, booked the same/simlar route that I've booked and show up at the airport only to find their flight left at 06:00 rather than their anticipated departure time of 09:50. Not to mention that the routing out of Chicago rather than Denver means sitting in an airline seat a couple hours longer than if the flight departed from Denver or the fact that our originating flight has changed from a 737 to a CRJ. I booked this particular route to AVOID the CRJ and didn't want to be routed through Chicago. Oh well. :rolleyes:

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Informed by Delta

just this evening via email for a 5 minute difference in flight time. I was a tad panicked when I read the header: DELTA FLIGHT CHANGE NOTIFICATION!

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Doug-

At least they put you all on the same plane. During our Hawaii trip in 03, United changed our flights & times and put us on different flights going through different cities, all without notifying us. I happened to find it myself when checking online. Worked out to our benefit in that I used it to get us moved to the flight I had originally wanted but could not get since there were no more FF tickets available. Maybe you can use it to get a better flight?? Worth calling to ask.

irishween

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh! I am about to book for a trip to Aruba. Was going with United because of the fares. Now I don't know what to do.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Ahhhh! I am about to book for a trip to Aruba. Was going with United because of the fares. Now I don't know what to do.

As someone said, they ALL do this. I'd book with United if they're the cheapest.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
My United flight to Orlando in 2 weeks was canceled and I received an automated phone call that glitched while giving me the particulars. I called the 800 number given and spoke to an actual human being who promptly and courtiously handled my rebooking. Later I received a confirmation e-mail. So far so good but I'm checking often as my departure date gets closer. This will be my last airline flight for a good long time. I'm waiting for the bridge to Hawaii to be built. :D

Julie, have you heard that joke? It's a good one, about a Genie who grants a guy 3 wishes.................:rofl: