• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

San Diego Hotel and Visit

remo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We ( my wife and I ) will be in San Diego for 4 nights in about 2 weeks. First time visit. Not sure of hotel location, any suggestions? Also, besides the zoo, what are the must see sites. Thanks for any insight.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
How much are you willing to spend? My favorite is the Hotel del Coronado. :D

http://www.hoteldel.com/

Ouch - the high rent district!

I recently stayed at the Gaslamp Plaza Suites and paid roughly $150/night including taxes for a hotel/studio unit. It was perfectly located for all of the Gaslamp District shopping and dining options.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Ouch - the high rent district!

Oh, I definitely agree. :D That's why I asked how much they wanted to spend. I've only stayed there a couple of times. Did spend a bit of time on the deck having drinks in May when we were staying across the street at the Coronado Beach Resort though. :whoopie:

But, you can't beat the location right on the beach. I hope I'll be able to stay there again at some point.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
We ( my wife and I ) will be in San Diego for 4 nights in about 2 weeks. First time visit. Not sure of hotel location, any suggestions? Also, besides the zoo, what are the must see sites. Thanks for any insight.

Balboa Park is huge and has museums; it is in the area of the zoo. Seaport Village, USS Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum, Coronado Island, Scripps Aquarium ( not like Monterey Aquarium) but in La Jolla. In La Jolla many shops, beautiful coastline, tide pools. The Wild Animal Park is great; it is east of Escondido. Point Loma has a lighthouse that is beautiful. If you like to jet ski you can find rentals in Mission Bay, but do this during the weekday. If you want to go across the border to Tijuana, the Tijuana Trolley takes you to the border ( bring your passport.)

There is a good Mexican Restaurant in Old Town called Casa Guadalajara. The chef has won many awards. Get there early and during happy hour. Make reservations, if you can! It is the best happy hour! No kidding! Free nachos, free enchiladas, free tacos, etc, etc. They keep bring out the trays of food! During happy hour, Margaritas alcohol and non alcohol $2.50. This is a nice place to have dinner, in the courtyard with the mariachis playing in the background!

"Mariachi tunes played by strolling musicians enliven the room nightly, and you can also dine alfresco, in a picturesque courtyard occupied by a 200-year-old pepper tree. Birdbath-size margaritas start most meals, while dining ranges from simple south-of-the-border fare to more gourmet items like tequila lime shrimp and mango chipotle chicken -- but the extensive menu features all the fajita and combo plates most people expect. Breakfast is also served on weekends. This place (like the Bazaar) is touristy, but out-of-towners looking for old California ambience and reliable Mexican food will find it here." Frommer's Review ( copied and pasted part of this review)

My brother and sister in law live in San Diego and this is their favorite Mexican restaurant!

Here is the website
http://bazaardelmundo.com/guad2006.shtml

We also stay at the Embassy Suites La Jolla , comes with a great made to order breakfast or Embassy Suites Seaport Village (also comes with hot breakfast.) We also had a view of Coronado Island.

I know it is not as nice as the Hotel Coronado, or in the same category, but much less money for nice accommodations. The Hotel Cornado is beach front, The Embassy Seaport is 1/2 to 3/4 miles from the water front. Call 1800-Embassy. I would get pricing for both Embassys, usually the Seaport Embassy is a better deal. The Embassy rooms are suites with microwaves, small refrigerator, coffee maker, bar area, table with four chairs, sofa, bedroom. They also have a managers reception (free drinks alcoholic and non alcoholic) from 5-7, every night included.

There is also a Hyatt at Seaport too that looks really nice, with water views! There are lots of fine hotel choices in San Diego, depending on your budget and preference. I am sure what ever you choose, you will have a great time!

Have fun and have a free taco for me!:whoopie:

Dorene :)

Last edited:

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Best Western Hacienda Hotel in Old Town is beautiful and has reasonable prices.

La Jolla and Balboa Park are just two of many places to see! The Old Town Trolley tour is a good way to see a lot in one day. It even goes to Coranodo Island!

Janna

steve1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin: Mission Hills, Desert Willow, Riverfront Mtn Villas, Kierland, Flex
Marriott: Grande Ocean, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs
Hyatt: Beach House, Coconut Plantation, High Sierra Lodge,
Four Seasons: Aviara, Scottsdale.
Royal Haciendas
I bid on Priceline and got the Hilton Resort by Sea World for $100/night. I thought it was very nice -nicer than I expected. Just checked out today.

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much are you willing to spend? My favorite is the Hotel del Coronado. :D

http://www.hoteldel.com/

Just a useless bit of info...
I spent my first honeymoon night at The Del, in 1976. My grandmother paid for two nights in an O.F. suite. The grand price, per night, was $80!! :)
I believe those rooms go for $500 a night now?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Just a useless bit of info...
I spent my first honeymoon night at The Del, in 1976. My grandmother paid for two nights in an O.F. suite. The grand price, per night, was $80!! :)
I believe those rooms go for $500 a night now?

What a coincidence! I spent a night there on my first honeymoon in 1973. We stayed in the "new" towers, which wasn't quite the same experience as the older hotel building.

The first time I stayed there was with my parents and sister and I don't even remember how long ago that was. I do remember seeing Ronald Reagan and his family (the children were quite young) on the beach.

Last edited:

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
What a coincidence! I spent a night there on my first honeymoon in 1973. We stayed in the "new" towers, which wasn't quite the same experience as the older hotel building.

The first time I stayed there was with my parents and sister and I don't even remember how long along that was. I do remember seeing Ronald Reagan and his family (the children were quite young) on the beach.

Hey Luanne!
Quite a co-in-ki-dink! :wave:
That was the only time I stayed there. I was only 19 years old. Divorced a year later, and married my husband, of 27 years, a couple years after that! We've stayed in the motel across the street from The Del, (La Avenida Motel) many times.. We LOVE Coronado!
Elena

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Hey Luanne!
Quite a co-in-ki-dink! :wave:
That was the only time I stayed there. I was only 19 years old. Divorced a year later, and married my husband, of 27 years, a couple years after that! We've stayed in the motel across the street from The Del, (La Avenida Motel) many times.. We LOVE Coronado!
Elena

The husband of one of my best high school friends used to work for Larry Lawrence at the time he owned the Hotel del, prior to Larry's death. They told some great stories. :rofl:

riverside

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got back from spending a week with my son in San Diego. We enjoyed goinging to LaJolla to see the Sea Lions on the beach. We also went a little farther north (only about 7 miles from north San Diego) to Torrey Pines Beach and State Reserve. The reserve has miles of hiking trails through rock formations on top of the bluff. Great views of the ocean. I'd also recommend renting bikes in the Pacific Beach area. There are miles of bike trails on the boardwalk along the ocean and around Mission Bay. We went to Sea World also because it had been years since we had visited. Go to the Gaslamp District for dinner or to a pub. And ride the trolley. It's a beautiful area and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun.

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going midweek you might get some deals at some of the north San Diego timeshares. If you are a member of VRI or ResorTime you can call and see what they have available. Usually no weekend availability. Also try Priceline or Hotwire. Funtime