• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott credit card

tommyjoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the process, hopefully, of purchasing a Marriott timeshare via resale. I have read a few things about owners having a credit card that earns Marriott points. I wonder, since I won't have the ability, or desire, to convert my week to points, would it still be advantageous th have the Marriott rewards card? I read on their web site about an exclusive offer for 7 nights at Frenchman's Cove for 90k points, since I don't know how the cash value translates I don't know if that is good or not.

Also, if you think this is a good card to own what is the best site to use to apply?, ie bonus points for joining.

I have also read about people purchasing up to 100k pts., how does this work, what are the fees?

Thanks in advance,
Thomas, NC:wall:

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Last edited:

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
sure, the Marriott Premier card is a good deal. You get one cat 5 hotel cert per year for your 65.00 annual fee (you'll probably save over 100.00 using this on a room). You'll also get 5 reward points for every dollar spent at a Marriott, including most concessions at your new timeshare (some concessions are not operated by Marriott and don't get points). You may have a hard time getting enough points for a trip to Hawaii, but you'll get enough for free nights at Marriott. We use our card for everything to max out on points. You get (at least right now) extra points for travel/dining/hotel charges, even if not at Marriott (I think it is 2 per dollar now). You can get a free night for 7,000 points (Fairfield Inn on special), so you'll at least get something for your points. Other merchandise is available, but in my opinion is vastly overpriced (cameras, tvs, etc.---good only if you have millions of points and no other way to get rid of them). My opinion on this, anyway.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I lost my certificate. Do you think they'd send me another?
I think the card is great - I use it for everything.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
I lost my certificate. Do you think they'd send me another?
I think the card is great - I use it for everything.

If you are talking about the one night free hotel certificate, there are no paper certificates any more. They issue an e-certificate which should show up when you log into your MR account. They are only good for 6 months.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I've decided to cancel my Marriott card before the end of my year, but it has been my favorite for quite a while. My only problem with the free night certificate is that I signed up for the card at the wrong time of year for me. The six months until expiration always makes it hard for me to use. I ask if you could delay the issue or change your anniversary date in any way and got a negative answer.

I get a lot of Marriott points through actual stays and don't really have a lot of time to use them. Don't need air miles either since I've decided air travel is too complicated for our family. I have one free trip voucher that I'll probably wind up giving away.

I've just decide to save my $65 this year and find a new favorite card.

Sheila

bongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
MR Visa vs Frequent Flyer Credit Cards

Hi,

I thought about getting a MR Visa @ 5 points per dollar at Marriott. If I decide to buy a TS direct, I'd get it, as the incentive points would give my MR account a nice boost to use for package travel.

However, if I bought re-sale, I'd stick to my FF credit card. Living in Hawaii, a flight anywhere can be pricey so for me, so there's greater value in accumulating miles via a FF card. Most A/L cards will offer 1 mile for every $1 spent. MR Visa offers 1 point for every $1 spent (for the typical everyday puchase, such as groceries). When I last calculated it, the FF mile came through at .025 cents versus the MR point at .0125. For the time being at least, it's a better deal for me to stick with the FF card.

:)

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I have a Marriott Visa. I do not own a Marriott TS but I do have occasions to stay at Marriott Hotels. I anticipate having enough points next year to book a 1 week vacation at either a Marriott category six or seven facility.