• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008 Thread] SPG Gold Owners - Hotel upgrades/frequency?

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, so if I decide to requalify a unit and become an SPG Gold member. What kind of benefits at hotels do you get? Since there are supposedly so many gold members out there has anyone ever really gotten any benefit?

If Nodge is having a low batting average as a PFL, I'm curious what the batting average is for an SPG Gold and what did you get?

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I have friends who were upgraded to suites in Anaheim and Dallas. My DH was upgraded to a club level floor with free Internet in Rockville, MD. That was so worth the $45K developer purchase :D . I had to call up and request it before and after he checked in, as the front desk did not give him the upgrade automatically, so then he moved rooms per my request so he could report back to me on how exciting it was :rolleyes: !

I've never tried to use it since we don't stay in hotels anymore as a family and I never get away just by myself.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are officially 4* at this moment and I am going to St Regis Monarch Beach tomorrow so I will let ya know what happens.

Katherine

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
when i was gold i received many upgrades. at the westin in hollywood FL we got to use the club room which is sensational.

in NYc have been upgraded to club floor many times.

have many other upgrades as well.

djp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I almost always get the club floor, and even the times when the club level has been full, they have given me the key to the club lounge with the b-fast and snacks that go along. About 1/3 of the time I have been able to get a suite, in Hilton Head I got the nicest suite I have ever been in, over 2000 square feet...full formal dining room,3 ocean view balconies pretty amazing.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
A much, much easier way to obtain Starwood gold is to:

a) Get a Platinum AMEX. Annual fee is $450. Benefits include 2-for-1 companion tickets on major airlines (including to HNL), airport lounge access for AA and Delta, and SPG gold.

b) Get an SPG Amex and charge $30k on it in one year.

c) Buy a mandatory resort on the resale market.

My husband was just given SPG gold status out of the blue through some Delta/Starwood promo.

hvanv0405

TUG Member
Reaction score
my b/f and I stayed at the Westin in Seattle last month. Booked 2 nights with Cash & Points (4K + $60) which is for a standard King room.

I asked if we could have any sort of upgrade and wanted a view of the space needle. . .

We received the Presidental Suite on the 47th floor!!!! Most amazing "Hotel" room i've stayed in to date. I just had to ask them a day later what it was that he chose us for the upgrade. He said "because of your Gold status and mentioning we're on a mini-trip w/out the kids, the suite was available for someone with either Platinum or Gold status" We were in the right place at the right time and very thankful for being Gold that day.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
When we stayed at the Disney Dolphin, we were upgraded to a corner room with 2 balconies. We could see everything from the Boardwalk to Hollywood Studios.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Luv_Maui - please be aware that SPG Gold/Platinum status is different than SVO Elite status (3*-5*) that is attained via requalifying. One is for hotel usage (SPG) and one is for TS usage (SVO).

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are officially 4* at this moment and I am going to St Regis Monarch Beach tomorrow so I will let ya know what happens.

Katherine

No upgrade. The place was sold out and had 2 weddings so I bet even as PFL I would not have seen an upgrade this weekend. Bummer since it was off season.

However, people were INCREDIBLY nice. The hotel room was gorgeous and the grounds are beautiful. We arrived at 10:30am on Saturday and they allowed us to check in early. We asked for late checkout and they said no problem. We didn't leave till around 4:30 yesterday and they were totally fine with it. The weekend was worth the free SP stay. DH and I had a great time and they really could not have been more courteous! I love my Am Ex SW card! :cheer:

Katherine

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm 4 for 4, batting 1.000. I've received room upgrades in Anaheim, SF & Honolulu. I've been SPG Gold for about 2 years via Amex Plat.

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
No upgrade. The place was sold out and had 2 weddings so I bet even as PFL I would not have seen an upgrade this weekend. Bummer since it was off season.

However, people were INCREDIBLY nice. The hotel room was gorgeous and the grounds are beautiful. We arrived at 10:30am on Saturday and they allowed us to check in early. We asked for late checkout and they said no problem. We didn't leave till around 4:30 yesterday and they were totally fine with it. The weekend was worth the free SP stay. DH and I had a great time and they really could not have been more courteous! I love my Am Ex SW card! :cheer:

Katherine

Did you actually do anything while you were there -- I mean that you can tell us about? ;) Eat at the hotel or swim in the pool(s)? Or watch the sunset. Where was your room?

But to answer the OP, I usually get some kind of floor upgrade, except when I stayed at this same St Regis. Then I had a ground floor, garden facing room. But the bath products are excellent!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is this correct? I didn't think this was the case with my WKORV resale purchase.

Acc. to MyStarCentral.com:

All Starwood Vacation Network members in good standing automatically achieve Gold Membership status in the Starwood Preferred Guest program. When you stay at Starwood hotels, Gold members receive:

A 50 percent bonus on all Starpoints® earnings
A 4 p.m. late checkout*
Preferred room upgrades*
A complimentary daily newspaper
Elite-level check-in

https://www.mystarcentral.com/spg/gold_status.jsp

Starwood also sent me a letter asking me to call them for a special offer to by 80k SPGs as a purchaser at WKORV-N. In the letter they outlined the benefits of my new gold status.

eakhat

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're staying at the Westin Riverwalk in San Antonio right now and weren't able to get a "Gold Card" upgrade. Our "Gold Card," however, gave us free wireless Internet, which is $10.76 daily.

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
A much, much easier way to obtain Starwood gold is to:

a) Get a Platinum AMEX. Annual fee is $450. Benefits include 2-for-1 companion tickets on major airlines (including to HNL), airport lounge access for AA and Delta, and SPG gold.

I echo this. The other great benefit is the Fine Hotel & Resorts program.

gomike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does SPG Gold level give lounge access like Marriott?

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm 6 for 7 with SPG .late checkouts are usually available. Upgraded to ocean front or better rooms mostly ,nothing real exceptional. Twice invited to SPG welcome cocktail parties.Each time I received an upgrade the receptionist let me know, I didn't ask for any upgrades.I remember getting envelopes with the room key that says welcome Gold member you've been upgraded. The only resort that gave me a problem was the Sheraton Key Largo ( no longer SPG ). They wanted to $75.00 for a 4pm check out and no room upgrade. I think booking well in advance helps because your preblocked for a unit upgrade.

jasonb

TUG Member
Reaction score
It doesn't seem like resale owners are eligible for upgrade to Gold status...

Has anyone experienced anything different, or had any luck otherwise??

Here is a transcript of my 'chat' with a SVO 'Vacation Counsellor':

Hello, my name is Lisa B. How may I assist you today?
ME: i am not sure if my SPG number is associated with my vacation ownership
Lisa B: According to our records your week was purchased through resale. Since your week was purchased through resale, your Starwood Preferred Guest account will not be linked to your ownership.
ME: are you sure?
ME According to MyStarCentral.com: All Starwood Vacation Network members in good standing automatically achieve Gold Membership status in the Starwood Preferred Guest program.
ME: it also says on the site (MSC) that: As a member of the Starwood Vacation Network (SVN) you are automatically enrolled as a Starwood Gold Preferred Guest®.
Lisa B: I'm sorry for any confusion; only Starwood Vacation Network members who purchased directly from the developer receive automatic Starwood Preferred Guest Gold level. As an owner of a resale week you also are not eligible to convert your week into StarPoints.
ME: I am aware of the conversion to starpoints and am not disputing that, but is there any reason why my SPG account could not be upgraded to gold status?
Lisa B: I'm sorry, it is part of the incentive only offered to those who purchase directly from the developer.
ME: I have heard that others have stillbeen given the gold status - is there something you could do or someone else you could check with?
Lisa B: Unfortunately there is no one that can over ride this policy. You can earn the Gold status on your own with at least 10 times (or 25 nights) in a calendar year.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jason, I doubt that SVO is going to help you get gold status. And, honestly, for the price people paid by buying from the developer, they deserve gold status more than resale owners do. If it's truly important to you, then you do have two other options: pay $450 for an Amex platinum card, which automatically gives you gold star status, or get a Starwood AMEX and charge $30k to it.

FYI, my status is still listed "gold" on my SPG account and I haven't stayed in a Starwood hotel (other than TSs) in several years. So other than the 50% bonus on incidentals at the TSs, it's not much use to me. Of course, if they stripped me of gold, my husband is gold now after being receiving an unsolicited invitation from Delta.