• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is SFX offering bonus week?

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I went on SFX's website and couldn't find if they're ofering a bonus week now or not. I figured someone on TUG would know.

Thanks
Joan

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes they are. If you deposit your week before Oct. 31, you will get a bonus week good for anywhere and a bonus week in Mexico. I think if you deposit after that date, you may still get the bonus weeks, but the cost goes up.

Give them a call or email them and confirm that the week that you want to deposit is acceptable to them to avoid any misunderstandings.

Sue

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Joan
There are different ways to define what is. or is not, a "bonus". For many people a "bonus" implies a free product or service. Remember that these so-called SFX "bonus" weeks come at a price and are designed as an incentive to get owners to deposit early. One needs to evaluate the whole picture, including the value of your week. Right now II offers some of their "bonus" weeks, known as Getaways, at $179 per week in a broad range of Florida locations. No deposit necessary. Many other locations are available at various price levels and without deposits. Also, keep your eyes on what "bonus" weeks DAE may have on offer at discounted prices and without giving up your week. Unlike SFX, both II and DAE inventory, incl. daily changes are accessible on line.

K.

Jim McLaren

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would agree with Kola, bonus means different things to different people. The SFX bonus weeks do cost more than most. Right now its $399. Unlike many exchange companies' bonus weeks, the SFX weeks have real value. They exchange just like an exchange week and are good for 1.5 years if you deposit early enough. Unlike some other companies that offer bonus weeks, SFX is upfront about the cost and usability of their bonus weeks.

I have a bonus week scheduled for October 2009 to Mayan Palace Riveria Maya. I couldn't schedule that far in advance with any other company's bonus week.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I do know that some exchange companies bonus weeks are cheaper than SFX's but I was leaning towards depositing with SFX. I most likely won't be able to use the bonus week anyway but you never know. As a teacher I can only request the busiet weeks.

Joan

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was able to use a bonus week for Scotland in July a couple of years ago - and I had a choice of weeks. So don't think you won't be able to get a good week.

Sue

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would agree with Kola, bonus means different things to different people. The SFX bonus weeks do cost more than most. Right now its $399. Unlike many exchange companies' bonus weeks, the SFX weeks have real value. They exchange just like an exchange week and are good for 1.5 years if you deposit early enough. Unlike some other companies that offer bonus weeks, SFX is upfront about the cost and usability of their bonus weeks.

Its hard to understand what exactly you had in mind by saying "Unlike many exchange companies' bonus weeks, the SFX weeks have real value." All bonus weeks have a real value but some cost more than others. And, to the best of my knowledge, ALL exchange companies are upfront about the cost of their bonus weeks. The difference is whether or not you are required to commit your own week in advance to be eligible for a bonus week. As already stated, with some companies there is no need for any advance commitment. That is a definite advantage.

K,

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
To me, the SFX bonus weeks have much higher value because I can use them to go anywhere, not limited to off-seasons or last minute (within 60 days) time period. They are limited to being used within one year and cost a little more than some, but we've used bonus weeks for Hawaii and Southern California and San Francisco.
Liz

Jim McLaren

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its hard to understand what exactly you had in mind by saying "Unlike many exchange companies' bonus weeks, the SFX weeks have real value."
SFX bonus weeks exchange just like deposited weeks. AFAIK, no other exchange company provides that. I deposited my week in May 2008 and have until the end of 2009 to use my two bonus weeks. The bonus week is not limited to off season weeks as many exchange companies weeks are. In fact if you request an exchange with your deposit and you happen to have an eligible bonus week the SFX rep will often ask if you want to use your bonus week instead. I say eligible because when I got two bonus weeks, one of them was restricted to being used in Mexico. That's OK since that's where I wanted to go.

I don't think there are any other exchange companies that offer a bonus week that is good for more than a year and can pull any exchange a regularly deposited week can. I'm interested in hearing about it if you can tell me about it.

cirkus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just deposited a 2009 week with SFX, and got and an exchange week plus two 1BR bonus weeks (1 in Mexico). I am a platinum member so I was able to put in a request up to 18 mos out. I requested Mexico (Nuevo Vallarta) for Xmas week 2009, but I need a 2BR. I also requested a 1BR at the same resort and week using my other bonus week. I was immediately confirmed at Mayan Palace, which I've stayed at in Riviera Maya and liked. It cost me $379 for each week, plus $159 premium for each week because it was a holiday week, plus $159 to upgrade one of them to a 2BR. I knew about all of these fees in advance because I had done it before, and happen to think it's fair.

My point is that bonus weeks are readily available to book, not last minute and real quality. I know that SFX has very good access in Mexico, but that is where I wanted to go. I have also used them to go to Hawaii (bonus week & exchange week), Grand Cayman(bonus week). They may not meet everyone's expectations, but they have met mine.
Bill

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
SFX bonus weeks exchange just like deposited weeks. AFAIK, no other exchange company provides that. I deposited my week in May 2008 and have until the end of 2009 to use my two bonus weeks. The bonus week is not limited to off season weeks as many exchange companies weeks are. In fact if you request an exchange with your deposit and you happen to have an eligible bonus week the SFX rep will often ask if you want to use your bonus week instead. I say eligible because when I got two bonus weeks, one of them was restricted to being used in Mexico. That's OK since that's where I wanted to go.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on several points.
First, by definition only deposited weeks can be exchanged - suggest you read SFX own website for their definition of exchanges. As stated before, as an incentive to get early deposits SFX offers what they call a "bonus" week but what actually is the right to purchase two extra weeks at a predetermined price. This marketing concept is very similar to the one used by retailers, e.g. buy one item, get one at 50% off (or some such combination). You don't exchange a bonus week, you only exercise your right to purchase another week. And keep in mind, your purchase is non-refundable. My point is that other companies offer the same unrestricted right to purchase extra weeks without a deposit and without limitation as to resort location. On the average I use at least three such extra "bonus" weeks each year over and above my exchanges. Most of the time I do it six to nine months in advance.

Second, one of these SFX "bonus" weeks must be in Mexico. That's fine if you want to stay at one of the Mayan Palace resorts. I know exactly how it works since I have done that to get two back to back weeks at the Mayan P. Riviera Maya. I liked the resort but I am also aware that this is all one can get because of SFX special deal with MP developers. For example, in the past we enjoyed our stay at one of the Cancun Royals but none of these excellent resorts is available from SFX as their "bonus" week. That applies to other Mexican locations as well, e.g. Nueva Vallarta.

Third, you said that your SFX "bonus" week (i.e. your right to purchase) is not limited to off season weeks "as many exchange companies weeks are". Based on my experience I question your claim. For starters, you don't know what else may be available because, unlike the others, SFX decline to show their running website inventory. Keeping in mind that the II web inventory is continuously changing my quick look today at their Getaway inventory shows quite a few "bonus" weeks in prime time and in prime resorts, all without a deposit. I couldn't list even 10% of Getaways but here are a few random examples: Hilton Head, Marriott's Sunset, June 6 -13/09, Swallowtail Aug 14-21/09, Williamsburg Plantation July 3-10 and 4 -11/09, Park City, UT, Marriott's July 5 -12/09 Las Vegas, Marriott's Grand Chateau Aug 30-Sep.6/09, Palm Spr. CA Marriott's Shadow Ridge June 7 -14 and July 4-11/09. As these are prime weeks in prime resorts and popular locations any idea of
"last minute leftovers", etc. is a plain fiction.
A look at HTSE website indicates many options including several Hawaii weeks available as far ahead as Dec. 2009 and April 2010. There is no doubt that more 2009 weeks will be available in the months ahead.

The bottom line is that before committing my weeks to one of several exchange companies I want to fully understand what it is that each company offers. High level of transparency, including an informative website, is an essential prerequisite.

K.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to the bonus weeks that SFX offers, they also have their "sell-off" list which is a list of weeks that they have in inventory that no one has yet requested. I have seen some very nice weeks listed here, included London on several occasions. Perhaps these sell off weeks aren't as inexpensive as some exchange companies, nor are there as many weeks to choose from, but they can allow the member to go on many more weeks than their exchanges allow. I may be wrong, but if I "bought" a get-away vacation or last call from RCI, I also believe my purchase is non-refundable. As far as I'm concerned, the bonus weeks work for me.

I don't choose to go to Mexico, but it costs me nothing if I don't want to go there. For those who do, I think it's a great opportunity. SFX does have multiple choices in Mexico, not just the resorts Kola mentions. Kola seems to have a mindset about how these bonus weeks work and it is only partially correct. Any resort I can get as an exchange can also be used as a bonus week. When they call to confirm a week for you, you can specify if you want to use it as an exchange or use a bonus week.

I have been very happy with the exchanges and bonus weeks that SFX has provided to me. It works for some and it doesn't work for others.

Sue

Last edited:

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tacoma,

My advice is to know your product. There are many exchange companies and each have their own niche. Research and learn their strengths and weaknesses and then you are less likely to be disappointed.

As previously stated, SFX can offer Mexico especially Grupo Mayan pretty much all day long. DAE has really inexpensive bonus weeks if you like what you see. Each company has their own version of Bonus, Extra, Getaway, sell off...get the darn week off my books type of incentives. Many are free to join.

In regard to Kola's post about the II Getways, I'd like to respectfully point out that a couple of those prime summer weeks are priced over 900.00 for the week. You probably couldn't obtain those weeks from SFX and if you are willing to pay 900.00 plus for the week then you are in business.

What I do like about SFX is the ability to place a request against your bonus week for whatever you want.

I deposited a week for the 3-1 but I knew why. I wanted the Mexico week for a charity raffle,the bonus week for So Cal and I still have my exchange week for later...thinking of using it in San Francisco. I truly believe SFX will meet these requests no problem. Again, know your product.

I just matched the summer week at a Coastal So Cal resort 2009 for 379.00.

Works for me :)