• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Orbitz Refunds

thomas660

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received a refund from Orbits based on their guarantee that if you book a flight and anyone books a the same flight at a lower price they will refund the difference? Several months ago I booked and paid for a flight to Puerto Vallarta. I have watched the Orbits site for the same flight over the months and noticed the same flight schedule advertized and a lower fare. Orbits says that the schedule that I purchased has not been purchased by anyone at a lower rate than I paid. I have no way to varify their statement so I was wondering if anyone had actually received a refund based on Orbits guarantee.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't see that guarantee. The one I see requires that on the same day you book your flights, you must find a fare for the same flights and dates and fare restrictions that is at least $5 lower than what you paid. The guarantee applies only to fares you find on other websites on that date of booking.

In essence, based on the wording in your post, you are expecting Orbitz to refund the difference if the fare ever goes down. I don't believe Orbitz makes such a guarantee.

Some applicable wording from the guarantee:
Orbitz Low Fare Promise
If you book an airline ticket on Orbitz.com and then find a lower airfare for the same flights, dates, airline and travelers on another Web site, you may be entitled to a $50 coupon per ticket toward your next Orbitz purchase.

If you find an airfare for the same flights and dates of travel, on the same airline, with the same flight numbers, for the same passengers, itinerary, cabin, and subject to the same fare restrictions on any other full service travel Web site or airline site that is at least $5 lower than the airfare you purchased on the same day on Orbitz.com, Orbitz will give you a coupon in the amount of $50 for every ticket in your Orbitz reservation, redeemable on your next Orbitz.com purchase.

pranas

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received a refund from Orbits based on their guarantee that if you book a flight and anyone books a the same flight at a lower price they will refund the difference? Several months ago I booked and paid for a flight to Puerto Vallarta. I have watched the Orbits site for the same flight over the months and noticed the same flight schedule advertized and a lower fare. Orbits says that the schedule that I purchased has not been purchased by anyone at a lower rate than I paid. I have no way to varify their statement so I was wondering if anyone had actually received a refund based on Orbits guarantee.

I read this also and it looks lke Orbitz knows what it is doing. This way they don't have to make very any refunds and still get a quite a bang out of the promotion. :rolleyes:

thomas660

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave,
Orbitz calls it their "Price Assurance Refund". They say: "Price Assurance means you never over pay. If another customer books the same flight at a lower price, we'll automatically send you the difference in cash." The policy seems clear, but you just have to trust them, I guess.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Now I see the Price Assurance wording.

I would be amazed if anyone else books the exact same trip (same flights, same connections, same outbound and return dates) with Orbitz that you booked. Think about how many permutations there are of different outbound and return dates and different starting points to connect with your second flight of the day. The odds against the same itinerary for the same dates being purchased through Orbitz, which is only one of many, many booking sources, are astronomical.

thomas660

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now I see the Price Assurance wording.

I would be amazed if anyone else books the exact same trip (same flights, same connections, same outbound and return dates) with Orbitz that you booked. Think about how many permutations there are of different outbound and return dates and different starting points to connect with your second flight of the day. The odds against the same itinerary for the same dates being purchased through Orbitz, which is only one of many, many booking sources, are astronomical.

Good point. But I have been on the same flight with the same people going and comming to PV more than once. I'm sure Orbitz has looked at the odds and they are much in their favor.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
After reading through their "guarentee," I went directly to the ailrines web site to book our flights. The wording allows Orbitz to much leway to get out of paying the refund. Expecially the wording that someone much book and pay for your EXACT same route at a lower fare. That's not going to happen very often.

All this amounts to is a great advertising gimick with very little risk to Orbitz and almost no chance of reward to the customers. On the other hand, it has taught me that Orbitz can/will be just a little south of totally honest. When you're selling big ticket items online, it's probably better to be honest than have a gimmick.