• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best trading company for Mayan Palace?

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
My brother bought a Mayan Palace one bedroom on ebay in June and when he paid/booked his 2009 week for his first use, MP told him he also had a 2008paid week waiting to be used. He will likely book something for Nov/Dec to bank and trade. He belongs to no exchange companies yet. Seeing that this is a one time thing, (and he will not need a long-term membership) what trading company would you recommend for this 2008week? I am guessing he may trade back into MP for 2010. Thanks. :eek: :eek:

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
someone?? please? it may just be for a one time trade...

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI would probably give him a lot of bang for his deposit.

BarCol

TUG Member
Reaction score
my recommendatiosn would be SFX - the Mayans don't trade well in RCI

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
my recommendatiosn would be SFX - the Mayans don't trade well in RCI

Oh you should know you own with them...I thought they did as I have a hard time getting them with RCI and they have that darn 1 in 4 yr rule.:D

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends where he may think he will want to exchange to???

I find the mayans trade well within Mexico to some degree....but I have other mexican resorts that trade much better with RCI. I Own a 2 bedroom Mayan Palace Regency. Of course RCI charges an annual fee.

SFX, they get a lot of Mayans, and no 1 in 4 rule supposedly...but I find they never give me like for like, for example, 2 bedroom for 2 bedroom...but they have a special right now for Mayan deposits...so he will get more bang for his money but they too I bleieve have a yearly fee, unless that is an upgrade I have now I forget...

TPI might like the Mayan if he wants to go somewhere they offer...they are free.

Dae also does free exchanges....but I have never used.....

Then o

Zib

TUG Member
Reaction score
My vote goes to SFX. and they are free! You can "join" them if you are doing a lot of trading every year, but not worth joining for a couple trades.
You get a little off your trade fee if you are a member but it's NOT necessary
to be a member to trade with them. (unless they just changed very recently)

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks- with SFX can he trade back into a Mayan Palace??

BarCol

TUG Member
Reaction score
yes as far as I know at this time (remember the #1 rule with MP - if you figure out the rules they change them) you can trade back into an MP resort an I believe - though check with SFX, there is no 1 in 5 rule.

For the record we haven't deposited my MP ownership with RCI, we usually use them at the MP in PV, NV or RM, but last year, we had to trade and used SFX, and although it's a less transparent system than RCI with the online search capability - ie you can't see what weeks in SFX they have available and it's always request first, then wait and see, we have ended up with a 2 bedroom MP NV week in our RCI bank (don't ask how, it's my total stupidity and a case of cold feet :doh:), but doing some searches with the 2 bedroom MP compared to against our 1 bedroom AV southern california week, I have been unimpressed with "trade power" of the MP:shrug: ...so I won't be doing that again..

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow- thanks!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I have had much better luck with RCI in my 18 years of timeshare ownership and exchanging. I have been a member of RCI, SFX, and II.

SFX will not let you trade back to a Mayan Palace, but RCI will if you call the special MP owner #.

If by chance, you get to exchange into another MP on SFX, it will be for September, October, or May - the months that are not usually chosen by others. I made a post several months ago about this as I had 3 MP weeks deposited with SFX and that expire next year. I wanted to use the SFX weeks to go to a MP instead of paying MF to go to them. It would be cheaper for me in the long run. That is when I found out that I could not exchange into a MP. That is something to think about.

SFX is free, so if he has somewhere else he wants to go, it might be worth trying, although in 3 years as a paying member, I have not had much luck with exchanges with them - only was able to get one exchange in 3 years & that was with a Hawaii week that I deposited. Lack of exchange availability is why I wanted to just go back to a Mayan Palace.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
My vote goes to SFX. and they are free! You can "join" them if you are doing a lot of trading every year, but not worth joining for a couple trades.
You get a little off your trade fee if you are a member but it's NOT necessary
to be a member to trade with them. (unless they just changed very recently)

No I believe you are right ..I am a member so I pay for that....duh....maybe not a good move on my part since their big issue is flexibility and of that I have little....

I have had much better luck with RCI in my 18 years of timeshare ownership and exchanging. I have been a member of RCI, SFX, and II.

SFX will not let you trade back to a Mayan Palace, but RCI will if you call the special MP owner #.

If by chance, you get to exchange into another MP on SFX, it will be for September, October, or May - the months that are not usually chosen by others. I made a post several months ago about this as I had 3 MP weeks deposited with SFX and that expire next year. I wanted to use the SFX weeks to go to a MP instead of paying MF to go to them. It would be cheaper for me in the long run. That is when I found out that I could not exchange into a MP. That is something to think about.

SFX is free, so if he has somewhere else he wants to go, it might be worth trying, although in 3 years as a paying member, I have not had much luck with exchanges with them - only was able to get one exchange in 3 years & that was with a Hawaii week that I deposited. Lack of exchange availability is why I wanted to just go back to a Mayan Palace.

SFX does not have 1 in 4 or 5 rule but they do not like to exchange you back into Mayan....RCI will let you change back in as stated above by calling the Mayan Excellence number, they usually transfer you anyway if you are a Mayan owner.

For one exchange,,,I would not pay a member fee, I would check out the directory online at SFX and see if anything appeals to him, right away and then dep. with them as they have specials going on, so he can get a bonus week or whatever for cheap...Good luck!!