• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchasing additional RCI points

mack44

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own EOY in Marriott's Canyon Villas at Desert Ridge in Phoenix and Grand Chateau in Las Vegas. We are very happy with the facilities and Interval International. When we want to travel to a location for one week at a time, we use II.

We also own points with Vacation Internationale which gives us access to RCI. We appreciate the flexibility of being able to book for 1 or 2 nights, instead of a week. We can trade our VI points for RCI points - 400 to 1.

We would like to purchase additional RCI points on the resale market. In order to buy additional points, we need to have a separate RCI account in addition to our VI account, so we can deposit the purchased points. RCI tells us that the only way to create that 2nd account is to buy a timeshare that is affiliated with RCI.

Does anyone know of any way around this requirement?

If we have to buy a timeshare solely to create an account with RCI, does anyone have any recommendations as to how to buy wisely on the resale market? Are there reasons why we should not pick up a resale in the $1.00 to $400 range?

Thank you for any advice you can give us.

Sheryl

TUG Member
Reaction score
What comes to my mind is one of those South African timeshares; you can pick up a red 1br for about $600-800, and I believe it can be converted to 21,000 RCI points. Someone please correct me if this number is wrong; this was the case about 2 years ago. Then you keep getting those same number of points for an annual maintenance fee of about $250, depending on how the Rand fluctuates in relationship to the US dollar.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got into RCI Points about 1-1/2 years ago....

...I've used up my points through 2009. I am in the process of closing on a Points purchase of 69,000 yearly points that I got on eBay for $482 plus closing. The maintenance fee is $535. I'm seeing a lot of good deals on eBay for RCI Points. I've also read about leasing RCI points for three years, but I would imagine you would still have to have the RCI Points account in order to use the points.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes...

=Egret1986;592905 I've also read about leasing RCI points for three years, but I would imagine you would still have to have the RCI Points account in order to use the points.

Correct, but a RCI Points account is actually an included part and parcel of that 3 year lease to which you make reference.

However, I'm not entirely sure if those lease packages are currently available, as I have not seen any ads (or any posts by the selling rep, who is a TUG member) in some months now. I can't provide a source ID without appearing to be advertising (...which I'm not), but you should be able to locate him with some searching through past subject threads.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points for deposit possibility...

Twin Rivers HOA has a number of free weeks available right now that could be used for points for deposit purposes. They are 2br and 3br with reasonable m. fees.. You can go to the HOA website and take your pick. The website is www.twinrivers.org.

(Sorry in advance if this is deemed an ad- but since the weeks are free- I figured it might be ok...)

allenh91801

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now I know who outbid me on those Sandcastle wk 26 RCI points. Good for you! I was trying to buy those, but I picked up some as well after that.

Allen

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There was another auction a week later....

....and that July 4th Points week actually sold in the $380 range, even better than what I got! :eek: Amazing deals to be had!!!!!