• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coconut Mallory Resort Key West

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a request for Key West next spring and received this confirmation last night. I have read some reviews that somewhat concern me. Not sure if we should hold out for another offer.
I would think owners would be depositing their weeks still or am I way off? We have never been to KW and really would like this to happen next year.
Any thoughts?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

We have a request for Key West next spring and received this confirmation last night. I have read some reviews that somewhat concern me. Not sure if we should hold out for another offer.
I would think owners would be depositing their weeks still or am I way off? We have never been to KW and really would like this to happen next year.
Any thoughts?

I stayed at this particular facility for a week this past February (2008) on a one-for-one private swap. The 2BR unit was nice, spacious, with a small adjoining deck. The staff was decidedly unfriendly (bordering on hostile, actually), but we had little need or desire to interact with them anyhow. The small pool was nice, the hot tub broken, and the location of the facility about as far away from the "action" of Duval St. as is humanly possible --- several miles clear across the other end of the "island". The resort is located just over the bridge as you first enter Key West, just off to the left. The facility is not really within walking distance of any beach, store or restaurant. We used bicycles (rented off site) for most of our "travel".

We had a great time in Key West, but certainly not because of the resort itself. BTW, an aggressive on site sales staff is still peddling weeks at CM, using the (now former) bar/lounge building next to the docks as a staging area to squire "prospects" (...after a few free Margeritas and some Karaoke frivolity...) off into a little "Tiki hut" to extol the virtues(?) of developer-direct purchase. We didn't witness (or want any part of) the actual presentation itself, however. I don't really understand how there could possibly still be developer weeks being sold at a place which is clearly at least 20 years old now --- reselling foreclosures maybe?

As far as I know, all weeks at this resort are "floating" week ownerships --- there are no fixed week ownerships. "Open season" for the next calendar years' reservations commences on September 1 of each year, according to owners I met there. With that fact in mind, 2009 reservations by owners have only been possible for about the past week or so --- subsequent owner deposits for 2009 obviously likewise.

FWIW, I overheard the on-site sales weasels claim that CM was switching from II to RCI (i.e., not to be dual affiliated) by the end of calendar year 2008. If true (is anything those sales weasels say ever actually true?...), I don't know how or if that might affect your potential exchange.

Exchange availability in Key West in "prime time" can be slim. Depositing for exchange would seem to be about the least valuable thing a Key West owner could ever do with a week, since rentals tend to command big bucks. If the offered exchange is available at a time you want to go, consider taking it (despite the resorts' shortcomings) since you may well not see much (if anything) else in Key West offered to you. I'm not sure if there is actually even another II affiliated resort anywhere in Key West.
Your call...

==============================================
P.S. Although the 2BR units were spacious and well away from the road, there is a separate single story building located along (nearly on, actually) S. Roosevelt Blvd., which apparently contains studio and/or 1BR units. That building looks to me like the remnants of a former motel in long ago days and those units look truly tiny (and are situated right on a very busy street). I wouldn't touch any of those particular units with a long stick.
If it's not a 2BR unit being offered, I'd personally run away, run away....

Last edited:

mssuzan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going to Key West to experience the Duval Street atmosphere, you are not near that area. For a first trip, I would select a different resort.

The Conch Man

Reaction score
Theo gave you his $0,02 worth for Coconut Mallory Resort in Key West, please take his advice, he's right-on the money! This subject matter comes-up every year bout this time & still after reading many reviews on this resort, there are many of them, bout 85% reporting not favorable reviews for their stay. Like Theo said at the bottom of his statement, "Your Call"!

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cancelled......yikes hope it wasn't a mistake.

Given that "open season" is just starting for CM that would be the reason we were offered Easter week, the one week we are not interested in traveling. Of course CM was the last on our list of places to stay. We are trying to keep very open in regards to our dates and timeshares but I made the call and cancelled the exchange. That hurt!! :(

I am hoping something else comes up otherwise we may just try to rent our week out for next year and see how that plays out.

I had considered just renting for Key West. I wonder how many of these rentals actually get rented. Some seem quite high.

The Conch Man

Reaction score
Hey Daug,

The reason for high rent is due to seasonal prices, Easter week is in high season & yes, most rentals are rented out during season in Key West. The weather being the most reason, rental in Old Town & close to Duval St. for walking distance as well as close to almost everything ya need. There are several rental companies in Key West you can look at to rent & the price is usually around $1,300 - 1,500 for a wekk which usually includes a pool, 1 or 2 bedrooms with 1 or 2 bathrooms.

After May 1st or so, the price starts coming down until late December when it starts coming back-up. You should be able to a search for rental companies in Key West & check some of them out. Ifin ya need some help, ask away!

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Conch man, we just hope to get an exchange anywhere from Feb. to mid May. We are huge beach, Buffett, seafood, water in no particular order favorites. I know we plan to take the seaplane to Fort Jefferson. That is our big splurge and must-do. Hope our plans will happen. If not, hope to rent our week at Longboat and see what we can find to rent in Key West. We don't care about fancy, sure it's nice but we will be doing lots of running around since it's our first trip.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
...We don't care about fancy, sure it's nice but we will be doing lots of running around since it's our first trip.

If that's truly the case, then I wouldn't have let CM go. However, it is also true that from now until the end of the year is when most of the trade inventory will show up. We've traded into KW every year for the last 8 years--have always stayed at one of the Hyatt's (Beach House and Windward Pointe). Depending on what you deposited, my bet is that something will come through for you.

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mas we hope our Longboat Bay will be enough to get us to Key West. As I had stated previously, our window for exchanging is about 10 weeks with the exception to Easter week. We just can't go that week and that was the week offered. I do hope patience will pay off.

ira g

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given that "open season" is just starting for CM that would be the reason we were offered Easter week, the one week we are not interested in traveling. Of course CM was the last on our list of places to stay. We are trying to keep very open in regards to our dates and timeshares but I made the call and cancelled the exchange. That hurt!! :(

I am hoping something else comes up otherwise we may just try to rent our week out for next year and see how that plays out.

I had considered just renting for Key West. I wonder how many of these rentals actually get rented. Some seem quite high.

You made the right choice to cancel. What a dump.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dump???

You made the right choice to cancel. What a dump.

While I didn't personally care much for the facility (or its unfriendly staff),
I certainly didn't see a single thing there during my week-long stay which would deserve or elicit use of the word "dump". What exactly did you see or experience leading to this conclusion, stated without facts or elaboration?
More pointedly, with due respect, have you ever even actually been there?

Last edited:

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
And yet another exchange

Well the call came last night with another offer for Coconut Mallory. Better date and after looking at airfare for our area the price is about as good as we can get. Sooooooooooo, I will think about it today and talk to the dear hubby and possibly take the offer to exchange.
I really feel we can't complain. We just joined II and although the offer is for CM the last of my choices I'm not sure we could get an exchange for anywhere else.
Wouldn't most owners already have deposited their units for 2009 in 2008? It was stated that CM all are floating and their exchanges are deposited in Sept.
That would then make sense why we are getting calls now. Any thoughts about that?
Our next go around with II or RCI I will be on top of things and look for an exchange date wayyyyyyyyy out with the hope of a better chance for another resort or area.
As far as being away from the action, we aren't above using the buses in the evenings and or renting bikes. We are young enough and like to stay active. The scooters kinda scare me due to traffic and feeling vunerable on the road. We will have to look at our options.
Value any thoughts and opinions Tugges have good or bad. Let me hear you.
I have searched Key West a little this morning on the forum for info. Major rain all weekend so I should find more time later. Love the internet!! :)

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another $0.02 worth...

Wouldn't most owners already have deposited their units for 2009 in 2008? It was stated that CM all are floating and their exchanges are deposited in Sept. That would then make sense why we are getting calls now. Any thoughts about that?

That's not actually at all what I said. To restate / further clarify:

CM owners have only been able to make 2009 reservations since 9/1/08 (i.e., for just the past 12 days), when the "reservation window" first opened for 2009 weeks. 9/1/08 was the earliest any owner could possibly reserve a 2009 week, but that does not mean that's when they have to reserve (...nor have to deposit any reservation, once made). It's reasonable to assume that many CM weeks have not yet been reserved at all by their owners, let alone deposited with an exchange company.

My bet is that most owners reserve a prime week and, if not using that reserved week, rent it out instead of "depositing" it. During my week there, I met only one actual owner, several different renters (all rented from owners, not directly from the resort), but I met no "exchangers" at all.
Just a small, anecdotal sampling --- for whatever it's worth.:shrug:

Last edited:

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
If that's truly the case, then I wouldn't have let CM go. However, it is also true that from now until the end of the year is when most of the trade inventory will show up. We've traded into KW every year for the last 8 years--have always stayed at one of the Hyatt's (Beach House and Windward Pointe). Depending on what you deposited, my bet is that something will come through for you.

Mas, I am guessing when you say "from now till the end of the year is when trade inventory will show up" you are referring to CM and not Key West in general??? Can you clarify this?
Since we just joined II late and are looking for 09 between March and mid May my guess was this is really a late request to for the Keys. I am guessing you didn't wait as late as we did to make your request?
I'm just not real sure a "better" resort as stated will even be offered to us.
Geez, I think I'll go clean the house a while.............still thanks for putting up with me.

Theo, thanks for the clarification. I hadn't had my coffee yet. :doh: