• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

what happens if [no one wants the week I deposit?]

gatordog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deposit my week in Dec 2008 and RCI or II (haven't made up my mind which one to join) is unable to find a member who wants to use my slot? Do I just lose it or do I still retain the ability to "get" an exchange at another point in time (ie late 2009)?

Basic question I hope someone can clarify. Most of the questions here are about ability to get what you want, not getting rid of what you have.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It doesn't matter if someone wants to use your week or not. Once you deposit it you can exchange it either way. If no one wants to exchange for the week you deposit it will probably end up as a discounted rental - but it has no effect on you.

Last edited:

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
... except that if you're depositing a week that no one wants, and that historically has been difficult for the exchange company to "get rid of", your trade power will reflect that - to a greater or lesser extent. In other words, theoretically they'll offer you back choices of equivalent supply/demand ratio. Then your challenge will be to find somewhere (and when) you want to go, from the availability they will offer you. If you're flexible in season and open to a wide range of destinations, you shouldn't have a problem finding something you can use.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Not Your Problem Once Week Is Banked.

I deposit my week in Dec 2008 and RCI or II (haven't made up my mind which one to join) is unable to find a member who wants to use my slot? Do I just lose it or do I still retain the ability to "get" an exchange at another point in time (ie late 2009)?

Basic question I hope someone can clarify. Most of the questions here are about ability to get what you want, not getting rid of what you have.
Once you deposit your timeshare week, you can go ahead & get to work on snagging a nice reservation at somebody else's timeshare, mox nix whether anybody takes a reservation to use yours.

The flip side is once you bank your week, it's also mox nix whether RCI or I-I actually makes it available for other people to snag via exchange on the 1 hand, or on the other hand whether RCI or I-I rents out your week to the general public for big bux.

That is to say, once you've banked your timeshare week, it's banked. Case closed & end of story.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
Alan,
It's funny you mention this. I just joined II, deposited my week in June, and never saw it listed in inventory....ever! Does that mean that they filled a request or might it come up later in the year? Not that I want it back, just that it helps me to figure out the system. Or is that a lost cause?:rolleyes: DawnB

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Don't Know From I-I.

It's funny you mention this. I just joined II, deposited my week in June, and never saw it listed in inventory....ever! Does that mean that they filled a request or might it come up later in the year? Not that I want it back, just that it helps me to figure out the system. Or is that a lost cause?
Around here we're strictly RCI ( -- not that there's anything wrong with I-I -- ), so I am even more ignorant about the ways of I-I than I am about most other things.

I have paid attention, however, when the I-I-savvy people on TUG-BBS have advised against doing Deposit First in I-I, recommending that I-I members instead always do Request First.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Around here we're strictly RCI ( -- not that there's anything wrong with I-I -- ), so I am even more ignorant about the ways of I-I than I am about most other things.

I have paid attention, however, when the I-I-savvy people on TUG-BBS have advised against doing Deposit First in I-I, recommending that I-I members instead always do Request First.

I was under the impression that trading power is stronger if you do deposit first - obviously never do it if you plan on using it. The later you deposit, the worse of a trader? I deposited my Marriott Aruba 2009 because I KNOW I am not going- I have tickets to Hawaii. My Marriott in Virginia is not deposited - if I use it , I would go request first, as I can go there.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (for the future, as there's nothing I can do about the deposit now). THANKS

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are two times when Deposit First makes sense. One: you are offered an AC (a bonus week). They are not awarded if a Request-First search matches. Two: you want to travel *after* your use week. Request First searches can only cover dates up to your week.

Trading power is very close. As I understand it, it is only a tiebreaker, if all other factors are equal (and they probably are not).