• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

IPOD info

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a small inexpensive mp3 player that I downloaded some of my cds to and it was fine for my purposes. I must have left if behind on my last vacation because I can't find it. I'm thinking of getting an ipod and have spent the morning on the computer checking out the differences.

I'll probably buy refurbished and have it limited to a nano and a classic. The classic has a hard drive and the nano has a flash drive. What is the difference and which is better?

I'm open to any suggestions anyone would like to offer. TIA

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id lean towards the flash variety. no moving parts inside etc. its basically a USB key with an interface.

that said...my ipod is an older one with the hard drive..and its been working fine for years.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a small inexpensive mp3 player that I downloaded some of my cds to and it was fine for my purposes. I must have left if behind on my last vacation because I can't find it. I'm thinking of getting an ipod and have spent the morning on the computer checking out the differences.

I'll probably buy refurbished and have it limited to a nano and a classic. The classic has a hard drive and the nano has a flash drive. What is the difference and which is better?

I'm open to any suggestions anyone would like to offer. TIA

They are both good. The difference is price and capacity. If you go for the nano, get the larger capacity one. I bought a refurb nano off ebay for my daughter using a sniping service. There's a few refurb ipod sellers that sell a lot of them there, and offer a warranty, then you can add the square trade warranty to that, if you want to. But make sure you compare to the new and refurb prices from Apple first. Most of the times the auctions are too high. On ebay, those 2 or 3 main resellers are very good about rating the condition. There's two categories, A and B or something like that.

-David

Last edited:
S

Steamboat Bill

A 4GB Nano is only $150 and can be bought at Costco for a little less.

Why bother with a refurbished unit at these prices?

Also, there is a strong rumor that Apple is releasing a "New" line of Ipods on Sept 9th...so I would wait to see what they offer.

Kittykatz

Reaction score
ipod

Apple is making an announcement next Tuesday about new Ipod.. wait until then.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score

Also, there is a strong rumor that Apple is releasing a "New" line of Ipods on Sept 9th...so I would wait to see what they offer.

We don't have a Costco near us but we do have a Sam's Club. The same?

I found a refurbed on Apple website..4 GB Nano for $149. Sounded good to me but now I'll wait for the big announcement on Wednesday. Unlikely I'll buy the new one. I almost never buy something when it is first out. I like the kinks to be out of it and the price to be lowered but thanks for the info.

Thanks for all the tips.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We don't have a Costco near us but we do have a Sam's Club. The same?

I found a refurbed on Apple website..4 GB Nano for $149. Sounded good to me but now I'll wait for the big announcement on Wednesday. Unlikely I'll buy the new one. I almost never buy something when it is first out. I like the kinks to be out of it and the price to be lowered but thanks for the info.

Thanks for all the tips.

Yup - Sam's has them new for $150. No need for risking used.

Andar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Newport Coast Villas
Shadow Ridge
If you don't have a Costco in your area, you can still shop online at Costco.com
:wave:

S

Steamboat Bill

Thanks for all the tips.

Why buy a refurbished unit for $149 when you can buy a brand new one for $150?

Also, the Ipod Nano (and all models) have been out for about 5-6 years and this is a continued evolution of a product design. In reality, the new releases are superior to the old ones adn that is why the older ones get sold on eBay as people want to immediately upgrade to the new one.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't and I wouldn't buy a 4G model anyway.

I got a refurbished 8G nano, B rated (some scratches on the back), with warranty, etc, on ebay for around $80 - $90 by using bidding chains on that sniper site that people recommended. Most of the auctions ended up too high, which is why I said you have to be careful about that. For some reason, this one didn't and I won it within the price range I set. I had to bid on several with a bidding chain until I won this one.

My daughter loves it.

Many of the auctions closed within a few dollars of the price that Apple sells their refurbs at. Some paid more than that. At some point it doesn't pay. You decide what the price point you want to pay is and use that as a guideline.

-David

Last edited:

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today Woot has a refurbished Ipod 30 GB video $129. Is the video ipod the same as the classic and does this sound like a good deal? TIA

S

Steamboat Bill

Most non-teens don't need more than 4GB of memory and will never fill 8GB if it is just music....videos are a different story.

I would only buy a video iPod if you need video (I don;t like watching movies on such a small screen) and I prefer to keep my iPod loaded with music only.

Also, flash memory will not skip and will handle a drop much better than the non-flash version.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update

I ordered the refurbished ipod 30 GB video from Woot. If I don't like it I have 90 days to return it. If I don't like it I'll get the Nano. If I can watch video on the plane without lugging ny portable dvd player, it will be worth it.

Thanks all for your help.

Last edited:
S

Steamboat Bill

Update

I ordered the refurbished ipod 30 GB video from Woot. If I don't like it I have 90 days to return it. If I don't like it I'll get the Nano. If I can watch video on the plane without lugging ny portable dvd player, it will be worth it.

Thanks all for your help.

You can definitely watch video on the video iPod. Bring magnifying glasses.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most non-teens don't need more than 4GB of memory and will never fill 8GB if it is just music....videos are a different story.

I would only buy a video iPod if you need video (I don;t like watching movies on such a small screen) and I prefer to keep my iPod loaded with music only.

Also, flash memory will not skip and will handle a drop much better than the non-flash version.

The nano has a nice screen for video, and the kids do video.

I guess we all don't do as you do, Bill. On long flights, I watch tv shows on my ipod touch.

-David

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I just bought a Mac laptop and got a free Ipod Touch 8G with it - I have no idea what I'm going to do with the Ipod but it was free.... Besides music and movies (which I wouldn't use) what else does it do?

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Mac laptop and got a free Ipod Touch 8G with it - I have no idea what I'm going to do with the Ipod but it was free.... Besides music and movies (which I wouldn't use) what else does it do?

I dunno. Better ask a 13yo. :D

Just kidding, kind of. I'm really envious--the iPod Touch is the one I really want. Actually I really want an iPhone. Some of my friends have them and it's all I can do to stop myself from ripping them out of their hands so I can play with them.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked ar the ipod touch and had no idea what it did and what it was for. I thought it was practice for the iphone:D .

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked ar the ipod touch and had no idea what it did and what it was for. I thought it was practice for the iphone:D .

Like nano, with much bigger (touch) screen and larger capacity. Bigger screen makes it better for watching downloaded tv shows and movies on long trips.

Also has web browser, email and wifi, etc. I don't use that part of that much. I do use the calendar part of it when I travel. I download all my appointments from google calendar to it.

-David

EAM

TUG Member
Reaction score

I love my iPod Touch and I never use it for music or movies. I do use it for email wherever there's free wi-fi. Sometimes I even use it for email in my own bedroom via our wireless network rather than go downstairs to the computer in the study. Again, where there's free wi-fi, I use it for surfing internet pages (i.e. pages that don't require Adobe Flash; lack of Adobe Flash is my only major frustration with it). I can put direct links to a few favorite pages right onto the home screen, and I can bookmark others.

I download free podcasts on subjects of interest from the iTunes store, and listen to the podcasts in my car, using an adapter so that the sound comes through my radio speakers. Now I wonder if there are timesharing podcasts....

I also use it as an address book, calendar, and calculator, and occasionally I will look at a YouTube video.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
NPR has free podcasts. I think you can get them from iTunes, too, or directly from the NPR site. I just have to remember every week to download the new episodes of the shows we like.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I Again, where there's free wi-fi, I use it for surfing internet pages (i.e. pages that don't require Adobe Flash; lack of Adobe Flash is my only major frustration with it). I can put direct links to a few favorite pages right onto the home screen, and I can bookmark others.

Can you access TUG with it? - Thanks!

S

Steamboat Bill

I previewed the iPhone on day 1 last year and tested several web sites with it and one of them was TUG. The screen is soooooo smallllll compared to my 24' monitor that I found the experience limited and not too useful, even thought I could enlarge the image.

There are a few websites that are setup for the iPhone and make the experience much nicer such as news and stock feeds.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you access TUG with it? - Thanks!

you could, but I wouldn't unless there was something specific I needed to look up and that was the only internet device I had at the time.

If you don't want it, sell it on ebay or it makes a very nice present.

Why don't you use it on your long Hawaii flights, Denise?

-David

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
you could, but I wouldn't unless there was something specific I needed to look up and that was the only internet device I had at the time.

If you don't want it, sell it on ebay or it makes a very nice present.

Why don't you use it on your long Hawaii flights, Denise?

-David

I guess I must be the exception, but I just don't care about listening to music or watching movies on a hand-held device. I don't even watch movies at home and I only listen to music in the car. On long flights I typically read.

Can you download books to the ipod and is convenient for that?

I just may give it to one of my college age kids for Christmas.