• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC Nights count towards elite status

MikeB2620

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts Maui Ocean Club Lahaina and Napili Villas
I was unaware of this recent change, from an email to me from an Marriott Vacation Club staffer:

Please know that as of July 1, 2008, one elite night credit is earned
for each night stayed during your designated ownership week. In
addition to getting Elite night credit for your ownership stays,
beginning August 1st, Elite members now receive benefits when staying at
MVCI properties. You receive a 10% discount at the Marketplace, bonus
points for incidental charges, and Platinum members receive 500 points
as a Platinum arrival gift.

We are pleased that Marriott Rewards is now offering this for MarriottVacation Club International owners.

A welcome change for the Silver, Gold and Platinum members among us.
Mike

VacationPro

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was unaware of this recent change, from an email to me from an Marriott Vacation Club staffer:

Please know that as of July 1, 2008, one elite night credit is earned
for each night stayed during your designated ownership week. In
addition to getting Elite night credit for your ownership stays,
beginning August 1st, Elite members now receive benefits when staying at
MVCI properties. You receive a 10% discount at the Marketplace, bonus
points for incidental charges, and Platinum members receive 500 points
as a Platinum arrival gift.

We are pleased that Marriott Rewards is now offering this for MarriottVacation Club International owners.

A welcome change for the Silver, Gold and Platinum members among us.
Mike

This is good news. Does anyone know if this only applies to stays at your home resort, or does it include exchanges into other MVCI properties?

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow this is a nice change that I am happy to see. There have been postings on this board in the past that some people have received credit towards their status from stays at MVCI's but it seemed to be a hit or miss type deal. So if you own two weeks and use them you would only need one more night to reach gold status which I think is anything 15 nites or more. You get some decent perks at gold status. Silver is not really worth anything as far as perks go.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Wow this is a nice change that I am happy to see. There have been postings on this board in the past that some people have received credit towards their status from stays at MVCI's but it seemed to be a hit or miss type deal. So if you own two weeks and use them you would only need one more night to reach gold status which I think is anything 15 nites or more. You get some decent perks at gold status. Silver is not really worth anything as far as perks go.

From the Marriott website, the Elite levels are:

Silver is 10 nights or 2 events
Gold is 50 nights or 5 events
Platinum is 75 nights or 7 events

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We received elite night credits for our getaway stay at MGV in May, but not when exchanging back in using our MGV last November. If you own at MGV you already get the 10% discount at the marketplace.

cigarboo

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the info... Would have never known. Not that we're big point collectors, but it's always nice to hear some good news. With all this point devaluation business going on, how come they're being so nice?:shrug:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I looked at the MR T&C and no longer see the exclusion of owner stays at MVCI properties for elite night credit. Perhaps due to the inconsitencies with some people getting nights and others not, they find it easier just to offer it to everyone. Perhaps it is easier to do this than change their system to not apply them to the MR account.

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Should we try to retro our accounts if we did NOT get elite nights credit? I didn't get any credit for my stay at Legends Edge in June.

Terry

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Should we try to retro our accounts if we did NOT get elite nights credit? I didn't get any credit for my stay at Legends Edge in June.

Terry

The OP indicated that the change was effective July 1. So you may not be able to retro a June stay, but it is worth a shot.

mj2vacation

Reaction score
The OP indicated that the change was effective July 1. So you may not be able to retro a June stay, but it is worth a shot.

We received them for a June stay in Hawaii. I was afraid to ask........ figured they might take them back again

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
Wow, this is great news. I like others was hit or miss on my owner stays and getaways.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I filled out the online form for missing stays and faxed it over. Let's see what happens. :)

Terry

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Wonder how they work it for lockoffs. My 6 weeks are actually 10 weeks if I was to stay instead of trade some weeks for points...that's 70 nights??

The way it reads, it appears to be only if you stay on your booked 'ownership weeks' ... doesn't make reference to II traded or exchanged weeks that I can see. Does anyone know?

Brian

gregloucks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I added my MR number to three exchange reservations that I have for next year - to Ko Olina and Newport Coast. All three reservations showed up in my MR account, and when I view the reservation details, it states that " This stay will be credited to your Marriott Rewards account." This same language shows up on my 2009 ownership week reservations for NCV and Waiohai.

Seems too good to be true, but perhaps it will also aply to exchanges (getaways?). I wonder if anyone has a getaway booked that they could add their MR account number to and see if they get the same language that I got?

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
I added my MR number to three exchange reservations that I have for next year - ...

Where did you add your MR #? Did you call II and add it to the exchange info? Somewhere to do this on the MR website?

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Definitely let us know if you get nights count for an exchange. I'll start trying harder to get into Marriotts in the future if so. I'll make Gold easily this year, but probably not platinum. That could change with a couple of exchange weeks if I could get credit.

I already have the credit card that gives you 15 nights.

Sheila

gregloucks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mas-

If you look at the confirmation from Interval, you'll see the eight digit Marriott confirmation number that starts with an "8". You can then go to the Marriott website and select "Upcoming Reservations", which will then allow you to enter the eight digit reservation number and your last name. When the reservation details come up, there will be a link that says someting like "Add MR number to this reservation".

gregloucks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely let us know if you get nights count for an exchange. I'll start trying harder to get into Marriotts in the future if so. I'll make Gold easily this year, but probably not platinum. That could change with a couple of exchange weeks if I could get credit.

Sheila

Sadly, my next Marriott exchanges aren't until late this year. Hopefully we can see some results from other folks in the near future. I am with you - the extra nights would sure help in getting a bump to Platinum.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I added my MR number to three exchange reservations that I have for next year - to Ko Olina and Newport Coast. All three reservations showed up in my MR account, and when I view the reservation details, it states that " This stay will be credited to your Marriott Rewards account." ....

I have never noticed this before, but all my reservations, four timeshare stays and two hotels, state that as well. Funny thing is, even my MLE reservation that I traded away to II says that.

Terry

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
We stayed at MOW on an exchange back in June. My BIL said that he got the 7 nights added to his elite status.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sheila,
how much is it worth to get Platinum status?

You could get 4 $200 getaways for 28 additional nights. $800 sounds worth it to get platinum even if you don't stay in them the whole week.

Sheila

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Mas-

If you look at the confirmation from Interval, you'll see the eight digit Marriott confirmation number that starts with an "8". You can then go to the Marriott website and select "Upcoming Reservations", which will then allow you to enter the eight digit reservation number and your last name. When the reservation details come up, there will be a link that says someting like "Add MR number to this reservation".

Thanks for the info: I ended up having to call the rewards line as Interval made the reservation in my name only (kind of interesting as our II account is in both our names) and the MR acct that we use is in my wife's name. I tried changing the name online but the reservation attempt came back with a group code of PLAPCXZ (some II code?) and an error that said the reservation was restricted. I explained the situation to the reservation agent and he took care of it -- no problem. The res now has our MR rewards # and shows up on the upcoming reservations list in my wife's account. :)

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem. II always makes reservation in Hubby's name only (BOTH names on II account) and MR acct. is in my name. Such a hassle that we can't change it online. I think I'm going to call II and ask if all reservations can be put in my name in the future.

Starbucks

TUG Member
Reaction score
wow, if they do not restrict nights credit for unexchanged ownership weeks only (re)qualifying for MR Plat status becomes much easier and less costly. So buying that cheap studio getaway in palm springs in low season for a week could become the new form of "matress running"...

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nights vs Events?

From the Marriott website, the Elite levels are:

Silver is 10 nights or 2 events
Gold is 50 nights or 5 events
Platinum is 75 nights or 7 events

Could you please provide a link which explains the elite levels? All I can find are references to nights stayed. I'm glad I'm reviewing this because I found one stay DH was not credited for, but also this: according to marriott.com, he needs "1 more night to requalify for silver level." However, according to your statement, he should already qualify for gold, regardless of the number of nights because of "5 events." So having a link to this information would be more helpful.

Thank you.

Edit: I found it: FAQ #5, I think by events they mean holding meetings in booked conference rooms, parties, etc. Not that each stay counts as an event? (I'm thinking it was EQM = days, while EQP = event, or a la Hertz, number or rental reservations vs days of rentals). Oh well.

Last edited: