• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TS newbie looking to buy a Marriott TS

raoden

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a timeshare newbie trying to buy a TS for the first time. I am looking to buy a Marriott TS primarily for trading. I am not averse to staying at my home resort from time to time but My goal is to trade into fine resorts at prime time. I am looking to buy a Platinum week at at any one of the following resorts

Newport Coast Villas ~ $15k to $17k
Desert Spring Villas ~ $10k to $11k
Grande Vista ~ $10k to $11k
Canyon Villas ~ $15k tp $17k

(The price ranges I have mentioned above were seen in various places suggested in the "Frequently mentioned resale and rental websites" thread on TUG. Do they seem reasonable?)

Which one would TUGers suggest for getting the best trades. Is it worth to pay the premium for NCV or Canyon Villas? Is there any other Marriott that would be a better value for trading?

Thx

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would say Newport Coast Villas would be the best if you're looking to trade into prime resorts duirng prime time. I would put CV as the next. The other two might leave you waiting for the trade you're seeking.

Regards.
Joe

bogeygolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a timeshare newbie trying to buy a TS for the first time. I am looking to buy a Marriott TS primarily for trading. I am not averse to staying at my home resort from time to time but My goal is to trade into fine resorts at prime time. I am looking to buy a Platinum week at at any one of the following resorts

Newport Coast Villas ~ $15k to $17k
Desert Spring Villas ~ $10k to $11k
Grande Vista ~ $10k to $11k
Canyon Villas ~ $15k tp $17k

(The price ranges I have mentioned above were seen in various places suggested in the "Frequently mentioned resale and rental websites" thread on TUG. Do they seem reasonable?)

Which one would TUGers suggest for getting the best trades. Is it worth to pay the premium for NCV or Canyon Villas? Is there any other Marriott that would be a better value for trading?

Thx

Hi raoden,

Welcome to tug. You came to the right place. I think the prices you quoted are reasonable however it would be helpful to let us know where you want to trade into and what season. Those factors determine a lot whether you should buy a Grande Vista vs. NCV for example. Out of your list, NCV is probably the strongest trader but it really depends on where you want to go and how much you want to spend. Another really good trader is Manor club which can be had for approx. 8-9K and is probably just a good trader as DSV and Canyon villas.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
If purchasing a lockout unit is important, NCV might not be the best choice as there are no lockouts at NCV.

Last edited:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
If purchasing a lockout unit is important, NCV might not be the best choice as there are no lockouts at NCV.

If you are primarily looking to trade for 2 BR units, then not having a lock-out feature may not be a major consideration. However, if you would rather get two weeks (one in a studio and one in a 1BR, unless you are able to trade into a larger unit) then buying where there is a lock-out option may be better, since for one purchase and one annual MF you can get two weeks of vacation (and possibly a third if you deposit the 1 BR side and it is a week that II offers an AC for).

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest calling Seth Nock- a very respected broker here on TUG. He doesn't charge you anything for purchasing - he's very helpful.

raoden

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. I certainly didn't think about a lockout option at all. After searching I can see that DSV I and II have lockout units. Does canyon villas or Grande vista have lockout units?

Also just to gauge availability are all 2 bedroom units in DSV I and II lockouts?

mlfrancis

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Grande Vista

Grande Vista has lockouts. We've owned there (Gold) for 12 years and traded it every year but 2 - it trades extremely well, even for Gold. We've also exercised the lockout several times when trading.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, Raoden! In today's market, you shd be able to pick up an Oceanside Platinum 2BR w/ lockout @ Marriott Ocean Pointe for $19K....you wld have to move up by only $2K to do this. Ocean Pointe is an excellent trader. It's a gorgeous beachfront property on the Atlantic Ocean. You can fly in to West Palm (Palm Beach International) or Ft. Lauderdale or even Miami. PBI is only 20 minutes from Ocean Pointe. But, if you buy OP you may end up going there a lot....it has one of the highest Owner occupancy rates. If you are interested, call Jessica Burke....you can PM me for her number...or, I can give it here if I am permitted to do that...( is that ok? Dave...Dave is a moderator on this Board....). I bought my 2 Platinum weeks @ OP through Jessica Burke.

Smooth Air:cool:

welshman

Reaction score
another newbie

Hi, I am also a newbie to this site but not to timeshare, the question I have is, how do I go about selling my timeshare in Orlando. I own at Horizons by Marriott at Orlando and currently want to sell.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Go look at the sticky regarding "how to sell a timeshare" on the buying, selling, renting forum. It should give you a good idea of what you need to do, and then you'll need to decide the way you want to unload it.

Hi, I am also a newbie to this site but not to timeshare, the question I have is, how do I go about selling my timeshare in Orlando. I own at Horizons by Marriott at Orlando and currently want to sell.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am very familiar with Desert Springs Villas as we stay there a lot. Yes, they are all 2 bedroom lockouts. So is Shadow Ridge (where we own). Both of these properties would be excellent traders especially for Christmas/New Year's and spring break time (Mid March until Mid April). Oh and also the President's weekend in February and the Bob Hope Classic in January. They will be excellent traders if you book these desirable weeks. We are at Newport Coast Villas right now. It's a great property, but I don't know that it would be any better than DSV and it would cost more to own at NCV.

The thing I like about Palm Springs vacation is you're almost guaranteed sun and warm. Not always the case at NCV, although we are having fabulous weather now.

Janna

Last edited:

raoden

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, Raoden! In today's market, you shd be able to pick up an Oceanside Platinum 2BR w/ lockout @ Marriott Ocean Pointe for $19K....you wld have to move up by only $2K to do this. Ocean Pointe is an excellent trader. It's a gorgeous beachfront property on the Atlantic Ocean. You can fly in to West Palm (Palm Beach International) or Ft. Lauderdale or even Miami. PBI is only 20 minutes from Ocean Pointe. But, if you buy OP you may end up going there a lot....it has one of the highest Owner occupancy rates. If you are interested, call Jessica Burke....you can PM me for her number...or, I can give it here if I am permitted to do that...( is that ok? Dave...Dave is a moderator on this Board....). I bought my 2 Platinum weeks @ OP through Jessica Burke.

Smooth Air:cool:
Hi SmoothAir, thanks for your response. $19K is little too much more than what I want to spend. I want to stay under $15k. I was thinking I might wait for a NCV to available for that price or may be buy one of the others that I listed.

I am very familiar with Desert Springs Villas as we stay there a lot. Yes, they are all 2 bedroom lockouts. So is Shadow Ridge (where we own). Both of these properties would be excellent traders especially for Christmas/New Year's and spring break time (Mid March until Mid April). Oh and also the President's weekend in February and the Bob Hope Classic in January. They will be excellent traders if you book these desirable weeks. We are at Newport Coast Villas right now. It's a great property, but I don't know that it would be any better than DSV and it would cost more to own at NCV.

The thing I like about Palm Springs vacation is you're almost guaranteed sun and warm. Not always the case at NCV, although we are having fabulous weather now.

Janna
Hi Applegirl, I am also going to add Shadow Ridge to the properties I am going to watch out for.

Thanks for all your responses. By the time I check the board there are way too many messages on this thread! Thanks everyone for helping out!!

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not purchase at Newport Coast for trading purposes. You will not regularly be able to book the strongest trading weeks, as this is a constant battle for NCV owners that has been expressed many times here on TUG.

According to DAE/Redweek valuations, Grand Vista is very equivalent in trading value. MGV also costs less, has the lock-off feature, and has lower MF's + taxes.

Terry

Last edited: