• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What kind of cookware

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am shopping for a cookware set for DD's BF. I want something non stick but do not want an enamel finish outside. He is on a limited budget but want to get the best bang for the buck. I have a set of faberware & a set of T-fal and could not get by without both. I have been disappointed in the exterior finish of the t-fal. There are so many brands & types out there, I don't know which to choose

Anyone have any suggestions?

neash

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may not like my reply but I swear by my cast iron pots and pans. Except for things like boiling pasta, I use only cast iron cookware. It is cheap, but very heavy, requires care, but I love it.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I swear by hard anodized aluminum without a non-stick finish. I have lots of Calphalon pans and love them. Unlike cast-iron, they are expensive, and if I was starting over I would seriously consider some cast-iron. Like the cast-iron ones, they are naturally non-stick, and the occasional thing that does stick a bit is easily cleaned with a plastic scrubby ball or occasionally Dormond Cleaner that Calphalon sells. (In 15-10 years of using Calphalon, I think I've used Dormond twice.)

We've had various brands of non-sticks, including Teflon, T-Fal, and others - no matter what the claims, sooner or later it will wear off, and the pans end up in the trash. I'd also just as soon not have all those little particles in my food.

Consider checking ratings at eopinions.com and amazon.com

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree completely with neash. If this person enjoys cooking, they'll never regret having cast iron. I've got a nice set of copper bottomed stainless pots and pans, and I reach for the cast almost every time. Cast iron is the original "non-stick" cookware. Unbeatable performance -- and it's cheap!

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hadn't thought about cast iron. We have a family friend that is an excellent cook and he wanted to kill my sil when she scrubbed his cast iron skillet. He had to start to season it all over again.

I will look into them - thanks

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are a member, there is a pretty good Calphalon knock-off set at Costco. These would last them for many years even with fairly heavy residential use. The Kirkland Signature Hard Anodized is about $180 for a good size set.

Jim Ricks

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been using a 14 inch Pro-HG saute pan that I puchesed at a home show for two+ years now and for the first time in my life have had no flaking, peeling, etc of the 'non-stick' surface. It's truly the best pan I've ever owned and it has certainly proven itself worthy of the $80 price tag. I am very careful with it, and never let anything metal near it's surface. I just googled it, and of course there are some people out there who say it's crap, but I love it. I also have a been given a few Le Crueset pots, one dutch oven and a soup pot, both of which are ceramic and naturally nonstick. Love them too! For high heat frying and a few other things, I always go back to the Cast Iron Skillet, seasoned for years by yours truly.

If looking for a full set, i reccomend Le Crueset, but it sure isn't cheap!

JB

neash

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hadn't thought about cast iron. We have a family friend that is an excellent cook and he wanted to kill my sil when she scrubbed his cast iron skillet. He had to start to season it all over again.

I will look into them - thanks

My experience with cast iron pans has been very good. I buy them pre-seasoned ( from Amazon -with free shipping you cannot beat the deal)
And then if I think I am losing the seasoning for whatever reason (maybe I have cooked some tomato sauce in it, and left in too long), all I do is use that pan for deep frying. It gives such a beautiful non-stick coating, I can make perfect pancakes in it.

I had bought one un-seasoned pan a long time ago and seasoned it at home using the traditional 1 hr in a hot oven method. Though it did work, I think it is a waste of time and energy when you can buy pre-seasoned for cheap.
I also use the same cast iron pans to bake brownies, corn bread, etc in the oven, and they turn out perfect.

And a side benefit is that I do not have to work with weights for strength -training, I get enough of it in the kitchen;) , at least thats the excuse I use.

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Costco set was a "best buy" in Consumer Reports a while back.
Ron

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
These pans are the best if you want non-stick. I have been a chef for 20 years and I have used these pans for a few years
Bob
Wow! The OP is using Farberware and T-Fal herself and is looking for pans for her daughter's boyfriend. Not picking on anyone, but virtually all the suggestions here are waaay above what she is using herself.

Actually, one can go into your local restaurant supply store and get perfectly serviceable pans that real cooks use in real kitchens for a reasonable price. You can buy what you need and not buy something that the marketing department says to include in a set. You are not paying for a bunch of advertising.

I am not a chef. Nobody pays me to cook, but I have a pretty well equipped kitchen- Viking Range, copper pans etc, and no one goes away hungry. Many of my knives, cookware, etc. come from the restaurant supply house for a lot less than 'name brand' residential stuff from the department store.

Jim Ricks

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
As a mother of boys!

I have my mom's cast iron skillet. While I agree with cast iron and also own Calphalon pans here is my take. Nothing better than cast iron for taste. My mom's old frypan beats everything else I own.

Being the mother of boys and also that this is for a boyfriend I would head to Home Goods ,Target or TJ Maxx. Most boys are not going to wash or take care of cookware for longevity sake.

Left wet cast iron turns rusty. Would he season it or just let it be?

So $12.99 -$14.99 for a $28 TFal or Kitchenaid teflon pan at TJ Maxx prices or even anodized alumninum would IMHO be just fine.

He needs a pot to boil water, a couple of frypans and saucepans.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
These pans are the best if you want non-stick. I have been a chef for 20 years and I have used these pans for a few years
Bob
Wow! The OP is using Farberware and T-Fal herself and is looking for pans for her daughter's boyfriend. Not picking on anyone, but virtually all the suggestions here are waaay above what she is using herself.

Actually, one can go into your local restaurant supply store and get perfectly serviceable pans that real cooks use in real kitchens for a reasonable price. You can buy what you need and not buy something that the marketing department says to include in a set. You are not paying for a bunch of advertising.

I am not a chef. Nobody pays me to cook, but I have a pretty well equipped kitchen- Viking Range, copper pans etc, and no one goes away hungry. Many of my knives, cookware, etc. come from the restaurant supply house for a lot less than 'name brand' residential stuff from the department store.

Jim Ricks

I presume you're not including the recommendations for cast iron here. A Lodge Logic (pre-seasoned cast iron) 10" skillet is $11 shipped from Amazon. One can buy a LL 12" skillet, 8" skillet and 5qt dutch oven for about $55 shipped. Maybe add in a couple smaller (1-2qt) stainless saucepans, and he's good to go for under $100.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's certainly a place for cast iron in any kitchen. I love my dutch ovens and a deep skillet makes an excellent deep fryer. Since one cares for cast iron differently than 'regular' cookware, I wonder how appropriate it is for a younger cook. OTOH, how tough is it to learn to re-season a pan that someone 'accidentally' washes.

Jim Ricks

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
OTOH, how tough is it to learn to re-season a pan that someone 'accidentally' washes.

Jim Ricks

I agree. The "cast iron is difficult to care for" notion is overblown. Buy it pre-seasoned. Use it. Scrub it with a brush to clean it. Dry it, and coat it with fresh oil. Not that much different than using and washing any other type of cookware.

andrea t

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too like the "cooks essentials" I bought on QVC....although I'd hardly classify myself as good cook! :rolleyes:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the point about "would he" take care of the cast iron is a good one. It's no big deal for many of us to clean it immediately and wipe with some oil as needed - but I can envision ruined pans from being left in the sink with some water.

Consider the eventual user and his interest in cooking. For my son, I'd get some decent-quality TJ Maxx non-stick - maybe 2 sizes of pots and 2 sizes of frying pans at most.

Even so, he probably wouldn't use them - ice cream and whatever can be toasted or microwaved is his limit. :shrug:

mamiecarter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Amazon has a great laborday sale on Caphhalon Comercial

I bought this hard anodized aluminum caphalon set on EBAY for $150 and love it. Amazon.com now has a 9 piece set for $139 and I just bought two pieces I don't have for a total of $51, free shipping. They were originally almost $200 for the two retail.

Hurry this deal will not last.

Barbeque

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Look on mercola.com about Aluminum. I would not use it
I like cast iron, stainless or Corningware or use Pyrex glass. I try to watch out for heavy metal exposure.

neash

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look on mercola.com about Aluminum. I would not use it
I like cast iron, stainless or Corningware or use Pyrex glass. I try to watch out for heavy metal exposure.

Yes, thats the reason why I threw away all my hard-anodized Calphalons.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bob

.....Jim Ricks

My Faberware are 32 years old and are still looking & cooking great- got them when I got married and they are just like the set my mom had. ( My Brothers fought over hers). Still love my Sunbeam electric skillet too (also 32 years old and is not a "non" stick type of pan).

The non-stick I have owned ( tfal is ~16 years old) have been less resilient)

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The trick, if you are a real cook, is not to buy a set. Certain cookware is great for specific dishes, and you should get the one thing they do best, and then move on to another maker for the one thing they do best.

A cast iron skillet is, in fact, a must. Great for cornbread, fried chicken, blackened dishes, and some other stuff. Lodge is the most popular, but any good cast iron skillet will do. Maybe two -- one large, one small.

A nonstick pan is also essential. Great for omelettes, crepes, and other things you want to cook without too much fat. Bendez makes pans with a great nonstick coating.

A good porcelain-covered iron pot is good for making things on the stovetop that are then baked in the oven. Something like macaroni and cheese, or a casserole. Le Creuset is tops for this type of dish.

A Clay Pot can't be replicated by any other cookware. It cooks and steams at the same time in the oven. Great for Tandoori Chicken, Beef Bourginone, Coq Au Vin, and a lot of other similar dishes. Rommertopf makes good ones.

Then, there's your everyday pots, used for boiling water, making puddings, double boiler stuff, sauces and the like. I have Revereware, but pretty much anything will do for that.

I also think that a pressure cooker is a must. I have a Farberware electric one, and it's great for control, predictability and safety features, but there are also stovetop models that work well if you know what you're doing.

If you make pancakes a lot, then you should consider a griddle. It's easy and cooks them perfectly. There's also no better way to get crisp hash browns than with a griddle. Just get one with a good nonstick coating, or an electric one.

Remember, if you're looking for functionality, a matching set won't cut it. It looks good, but won't perform as well as getting each piece by the maker who makes the best of that kind of piece.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My Faberware are 32 years old and are still looking & cooking great- got them when I got married and they are just like the set my mom had.

I got a Farberware Millenium pan (a huge one) which had a 20-year guarantee on the nonstick coating. But after about 5 years, everything started to stick to it. I'd take advantage of the guarantee, but I can't find it and I no longer have the receipt for the pan.

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love my Command Performance Gold (HSN). They always look great (can serve out of them). I've had for a number of years and would buy again. Very responable.

However, I don't cook much but still love having them.