• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Strategy for request Newport Coast Villas and chances of getting exchange

CARTER281

TUG Member
Reaction score
i have an ongoing request in II for Marriott newport coast villas, for only June 26 - July 3rd, I deposited my 2 bdrm suites at hershey columbus day week for this year back in may. II gave me an AC in return thats why I chose that week to deposit, otherwise I would have given up July 4th week. Would that week have given me more power and why wouldn't II give an AC for July 4th week. They only wanted fall weeks. My request had to have 3 options in II and I only want NCV so I put a request for a 2 bdrm Harborside, and 2 bdrm Westin St. John, thinking I would have no chance at all for those others and I might actually get the NCV. any thoughts on that strategy, and what my chances are for getting the ncv for that week.

Last edited:

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know what your chances are, but -

You can put in a request to II for only one resort and one date if you call. You can't do it online but you can do it over the phone. I do it all the time. Call II and you can remove the other resorts from your request.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Since you're asking for an exchange into a Marriott resort that is the highest demand week at that resort with a non marriott week, IMHO you have no chance at all. Any and all weeks which would be deposit for exchange will go to a Marriott owner during "the 24 day marriott only time period". I don't think a Four Season owner trading a similar peak week would be able to make that trade.

If you'd like to go to NCV you should have no problem going in Sept thru Dec. But no chance at all to go the week prior to July 4th.

If you want SoCal in late June, I'd ask for some of the other resorts in that area. Like Riviera Beach or Riviera Shores in Dana point.

Last edited:

CARTER281

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would that week be the most demanded, wouldn't someone want to be there through the 4th of July, and not leave right before it?

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is a very popular time in Southern California and NCV is extremely difficult to get in July & Aug, even for Marriott owners. It could happen, but it's very unlikely a week in that time would make it out of the Marriott priority period. There are too many Marriott owners within driving distance who love to get a week at NCV, even at the last minute. The summer weeks deposited with II go very quickly, even during Flexchange.

mamadot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Summer weeks at NCV are very difficult to get even for NCV owners.
Memorial Day to Labor Day are the most popular beach weeks. Holidays are very busy also.

Good luck on your exchange. I know you will love the resort.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would that week be the most demanded, wouldn't someone want to be there through the 4th of July, and not leave right before it?

Week 26 & 27 are both 150 (max) on the II demand index chart as is week 31.

Terry

P.S. - I agree that a non-Marriott week has virtually no chance unless it is in Flexchange.

Bill4728

Reaction score

The week of July 4th is not a regular week at NCV it is a Platinum plus week. Therefore it is even higher than the week before. But the week before the 4th is the highest regular week and you have no chance at all of getting it with a non Marriott trade.

Sorry.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
NCV is one of the tougher trades in the Marriott system despite the fact it's a rather large resort. We recently completed an exchange into this resort for a March week 2 bedroom unit, which is Gold season, using a Platinum season 2 bedroom week. I had made the request and it took several months to confirm the exchange. Going from a Platinum season 2 bedroom to a Gold season 2 bedroom is normally a lot easier.

By comparison, this past year we put in for an exchange to HHI and went from a 1 bedroom unit to a 2 bedroom unit without problem. The exchange was confirmed the first week a unit would have ordinarilly been available. Likewise we've traded a 1 bedroom Platinum week for a 1 bedroom Platinum week at Marriott's Custom House in Boston the first day an exchange would ordinarilly be available.

Any other exchange I've made with Marriott has been pretty easy (we haven't gone after a Hawaiian exchange) but not NCV. I really thought that asking for a March week in Gold season and giving up a realitively high demand week (using I.I. demand index) would have been a lot easier than it was.

You're asking for a week in a very high demand time and one that's tough even for those that own at NCV to reserver with a non-Marriott week. It may be doable but your going to have to be patient. I wouldn't expect the exchagne to come through before the 6 month mark for you travel date. But, I've been wrong before. :doh:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
The week of July 4th is not a regular week at NCV it is a Platinum plus week. Therefore it is even higher than the week before. But the week before the 4th is the highest regular week and you have no chance at all of getting it with a non Marriott trade.

Sorry.

There's always a chance. Marriott's weeks based system is set up so that owners are encouraged to reserve the highest demand weeks in order to get the highest exchange power when they want to exchange. Granted it would have to slip past that Marriott owner priorty mark but stranger things have happened.

Now, if Marriott ever goes to a points based system where Marriott controls what weeks I.I. recieves and Marriott owners get generic points with a fixed exchange value (similar to HGVC or Hyatt), then I'd agree with you. No one outside the Marriott system would stand a chance at the most popular weeks in the system.

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go figure-

Reserved July 4th week at Fairway Villas, NJ last month. Immediately asked for Request Only to NCV. Got confirmed for 6/26/09 two days later!

I was totally shocked and thrilled - already have our FC FF flights on points. I have regretted my FV purchase almost since I bought it, but the last two years have seen me trade to Marbella and now NCV. Maybe I wasn't so stupid after all!

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go figure-

Reserved July 4th week at Fairway Villas, NJ last month. Immediately asked for Request Only to NCV. Got confirmed for 6/26/09 two days later!

I was totally shocked and thrilled - already have our FC FF flights on points. I have regretted my FV purchase almost since I bought it, but the last two years have seen me trade to Marbella and now NCV. Maybe I wasn't so stupid after all!

That's AWESOME! :cheer: I can see Fairway Villas being very popular in the summer - East Coasters can drive there - it's close to the beach and fun.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
One reason may be that July 4 owners at NCV paid a LOT more money to have a fixed week there and more than likely use it or rent it -- not put it up for exchange.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
One reason may be that July 4 owners at NCV paid a LOT more money to have a fixed week there and more than likely use it or rent it -- not put it up for exchange.

I was thinking the OP was asking for the week before 7/4, not the week of. If it's an event week then I agree that the chances are slim and his brother none to get the exchange. People don't usually pay big bucks for an exchange week. They pay the premium for an event week to use that week.