• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coworker in Ko'Olina got bit by the Marriott bug.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In this thread I mentioned that I would bet $5 that my coworker would own a Marriott within one year after visting Ko'Olina. He and his wife just finished their 90 minute (actually 150 minutes) preview and just about fell for the hype.

My coworker has never been to a resort this nice and never stayed in a timeshare before. They got bit by the Marriott bug, and to say the least they were overwhelmed. Luckily, I warned him extensively about the possibility that this would happen. My last words to him before he left on Friday, "Whatever you do, do not get caught up in the hype and buy a timeshare."

He just called me so that I could verify the savings of buying a resort like KoOlina on th resale market. He relayed every word to his wife standing beside him. She was still in Marriott LaLa land. The good thing is that he did not buy and can now enjoy the rest of his stay in a beatiful 1BR timeshare in paradise.

This is their first trip away together after 27 years of marriage. :clap:

Terry

taffy19

Reaction score
Terry, the Marriott timeshare resorts sell themselves. We had no intention of buying at the Marriott DSV in Palm Desert but fell in love with the project and the same again in Maui at the MOC. The grounds are just that beautiful and the locations are superb. Your co-worker is saving a lot of money thanks to you and can think it over and read some more right here before he takes the plunge. :)

Buying on impulse is not a good idea but timeshare developers count on this and will continue marketing this way until it no longer works. I wonder how they will market timeshares then when or if that happens.

kmij

TUG Member
Reaction score
terry,

i can't wait for the update from "ownsmany" to see if he runs into your co- worker, randy!!

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still looking for Randy

I've been looking for Randy. I saw a few men that fit the description at the torch lighting cermony tonight. We were seated on the lawn and these men were standing at the back. I was surprised how many men - fit the description.

Do you know if he is going to Fia Fia tomorrow? We will be there as DD love it.

I haven't told my daughters were are searching for "Randy". Too much explaining on why it's ok for me to try to met someone from the internet - when its the opposite of what I've told them for years. We'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll do it when the kids are busy with something else. Don't want them to ever think it is ok for them to do same thing.

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder how they will market timeshares then when or if that happens.

Actually, there are people who truly want to buy from the developer for the incentives and they know about the resale market. I, and the great majority of Marriott owners, are examples. Personally, I did not buy from the resale market because I wanted flexibility and no restrictions on my unit. I hope you told your co-worker some of the benefits he will lose or he might not have made a completely educated decision. Buying resale might be good in your situation, but buying from the developer might be better for some depending on their vacation habits. There is not one clear cut "best" way.

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, but regardless of developer or resale, it sounds like Hawaii might not be an ideal home base resort for "Randy" and wife. And they can always buy developer at a better geographic fit for them at a later time. If this is their first trip away, alone, in 27 years of marriage, I doubt they'll be returning to Hawaii every year, and the MFs on these resorts are higher than other options. You can always trade or Getaway into many Hawaii properties. Plus, with airfares going ever higher, I predict they will become even more available.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Without divulging too much information about my coworker, I would like to say that he is a very experienced traveler, just not a timeshare or high dollar hotel traveler. A family member of his works for an airline, consequently he and his DW fly often. Because he is so big and tall, he likes to fly only when he can go first class. I will say that for this trip he PURCHASED business/first class seats because they wanted guaranteed availability!!

A timeshare in paradise and a family member who gets airline travel perks - sounds like a good combination to me.

Terry

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! He is a very experienced traveler and this is the first time in 27 years the two of them have gone away by themselves! Kid of sad IMHO!

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! He is a very experienced traveler and this is the first time in 27 years the two of them have gone away by themselves! Kind of sad IMHO!

Fourth child went off to school.
Both doing very well in their jobs now.
Yada Yada..

Life is good!

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A timeshare in paradise and a family member who gets airline travel perks - sounds like a good combination to me.

Terry

Great combination!

My DH works for an airline and we've had some fantastic trips! That's one reason I love Flexchange, if I see a great exchange (Hawaii or ?) I check the flights first then book it. A year in advance I have no idea what the flights will be like. But once it's close to departure I can usually tell if we'll have trouble on stand-by.

I tease my DH all the time that I won't ever divorce him because I don't want to give up my passes! I have access to a family cabin that he doesn't want to lose, so we'll stay married (happily married I should add)!

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for Randy. I saw a few men that fit the description at the torch lighting cermony tonight. We were seated on the lawn and these men were standing at the back. I was surprised how many men - fit the description.

Do you know if he is going to Fia Fia tomorrow? We will be there as DD love it.

I haven't told my daughters were are searching for "Randy". Too much explaining on why it's ok for me to try to met someone from the internet - when its the opposite of what I've told them for years. We'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll do it when the kids are busy with something else. Don't want them to ever think it is ok for them to do same thing.

Randy and his DW did go to the Fia Fia last night and will be at Roy's tonight. He loves KoOlina and thinks everything is first class! He did say, however,that after talking to many people at the resort and many locals, he would probably buy on Kauai or Maui before buying on Oahu.

He stated that a nice shopping center was being built in KoOlina and that itshould be long ago completed before I get there next July. Remember I have 3 DD and a DW. This might not be good.

Terry :)

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
Randy and his DW did go to the Fia Fia last night and will be at Roy's tonight. He loves KoOlina and thinks everything is first class! He did say, however,that after talking to many people at the resort and many locals, he would probably buy on Kauai or Maui before buying on Oahu.

He stated that a nice shopping center was being built in KoOlina and that itshould be long ago completed before I get there next July. Remember I have 3 DD and a DW. This might not be good.

Terry :)

wonder why people are suggesting buying another island instead of Ko Olina? We stayed in Kaui for a few days before coming here. Kaui was so beautiful, but this resort is the best JMO. What reasons do they recommed other islands?

I'm guessing we won't get to met Randy. There are so many people here it is hard to find him.

Did he like Fia Fia?

pharmgirl

Reaction score
Agree, KoOlina and Oahu are our favorites and the scenery on the walking path in KoOlina is fantastic, fitness building, saunas, etc.. We also have Westin Maui timeshare also beautiful but not my favorite
Think oahu is actually more beautiful than Maui and Kaui, aso more to do there - Northshore, waikiki, gorgeous beaches, zoo, Honolulu, Pearl harbor, Museums, Hawaiian palace,etc

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wrote a blip above after a quick talk to Randy this afternoon. After reading what I wrote, I think it may need some clarification.

Randy mentioned that Waikiki was awesome. He felt like he was on Rodeo Drive. They had been to the north shore, and he said it was nice but not overwhelmingly so. He has heard me speak of the island of Kauai and the Road to Hana in Maui with all its spectacular sights, but has yet to witness these sights on Oahu. Maybe he just needs a bit more time.

He started asking people who know, how the different islands compare, and was told by locals that their favorites were Hawaii & Kauai. He ask people staying at the resort the same question and got various answers.

Most thought KoOlina was the nicest resort, but maybe not on their favorite island per say. Anyhow, he is doing what we would all do, asking questions and learning.

Terry