• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you vacation with your plants??

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
It happened again this year :bawl: I had 3 beautiful hanging baskets, one fuscia and two geraniums this year that were just gorgeous when we left for a two week vacation, and upon my return, they are dead or dying. (My pet sitter doesn't like to touch plants, <<sigh>>) I don't completely understand why as I heard we had a good bit of rain while I was gone and the flowers I planted in large containers are doing great. Anyway, I'm wondering if next year, I should just make room in the car and bring them with me! Our TS at Smuggs has a deck where they'd look very nice.

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hanging baskets dry out so much quicker than conventional pots. Quite often its that wind/breeze that dries them out. My suggestion would be to take them down before you leave and put them on the floor in a location sheltered from the wind but not the rain. Place them on a shallow tray with a little water and hopefully the rain will keep the tray filled with water during your absence. Perhaps the pet sitter will be OK to check there is water in the tray and fill it if it empties (leave a filled watering can next to them).

I put all my indoor plants in the bath tub with a few inches of water when we go away and they usually make it through 2 weeks.

Plants can suffer on car journeys from heat in the car/sunlight through the windows etc plus they can be very messy if they tip over.

Hope this helps.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My neighbor asked me to water her hanging plants when she was gone for a week and I watered them every other day. They still dried up and died. I don't do hanging plants for myself anymore because I can't keep them going.

Sue

Cheryl17

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
A few years ago my parents offered to water my hanging baskets while I was on vacation if I brought the plants to their house. Putting the plants in my SUV was a bad idea: the crickets that I didn't know were living in the plants starting jumping while I was driving! I don't regularly vacation in the summer, but next time I do I'm going to put my hanging baskets in an area of grass where they will be shaded from the afternoon sun and set up a sprinkler on a timer to water them twice a day.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have given up on hanging plants in Texas. They only survive here if you water them at least twice a day.

For outdoor plants, you can also buy a plastic round kiddie pool and put all the hanging plants in there with some water while you are gone. Get your petsitter to just make sure there is water in the bottom of the pool up to the point where it overflows the lip on the plates at the bottom of the hanging pots.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just move our outdoor plants to an area of the yard where they'll get hit by the automatic sprinklers.

geekette

Reaction score
I would not take them on vacation, but would put them in a tub in a shady part of the yard that could hold the rainfall. Or even take them out of the pots and give them a nice hole of fresh topsoil and compost to sit in while I'm gone.

hanging planters seem to dry out very quickly.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I staycation with my plants. :wave:

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. You know, someone had suggested leaving the plants in water, but I couldn't visualize what type of container to use--the inflatable kiddy pool would be perfect--will look for one on end of season clearance for this purpose.

Debbyd57

TUG Member
Reaction score
We left our outside container plants and hanging baskets in the bathtub when we went to Texas this summer. They did well. The only downside was cleaning out the two bathtubs they were in.

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
You know, someone had suggested leaving the plants in water, but I couldn't visualize what type of container to use

Just remembered, one year I took the hanging baskets down and put them each in a plastic bag (large garbage bag) folded the excess plastic down to the top of the basket then used plastic clothes pegs to hold the plastic in place. I left them in a sheltered place where they would catch the rain. It worked well because the plastic held the water and also stopped the wind from drying the basket out.

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I used to have ferns in hanging baskets, I'd take them down and put them in buckets of water. It always worked for me. How sad to see your beautiful plants die. Jean