• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Calling all DirecTV Tivos

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have an old Phillips DirecTV Tivo. I got it when they were selling them for $15. Remember that? :)

My Tivo isn't generally attached to a telephone line. It still downloads the program guide about 2:30 AM just fine. But it gives me a nasty message every day about it. So once in a while I decide to string phone wire all the way across the room and fix it. This time I waited 525 days :D And when I started, I remembered why. It took me almost a dozen times to find a number that would make a good connection. Once I did, it took an hour to download everything it needed. Then I remembered that I wasn't done, I had to force a restart to actually install it. I did, and it took another hour.

But now its done. I can breathe easily for another year and a half or so (this is only the second time I've ever done this).

Don't believe anybody who tells you it has to be connected all the time.

Oh, I forgot. I lost my "skippy" ability, which is a hack. But by now I remember it, and was able to reprogram it with no problem. I can't live without that thirty second skip button.

Fern

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You're mistaken. On some newer machines it is a feature. On my older Phillips it is a hack. I have to program it in every time I get a software update, or it doesn't work.

Fern

30 secound skip isn't a hack. Its an option you enable using the remote.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You're mistaken. On some newer machines it is a feature. On my older Phillips it is a hack. I have to program it in every time I get a software update, or it doesn't work.

Fern

A hack is something that would require you to go directly in to the code of the software or hardware and make a change yourself. You program the software to utilize the 30 second skip using a code on the remote control. The 30 second skip is built in to the software, you don't actually edit the software code, entering the code on the remote control just activates the feature. So it is technically not a hack.

I also have two DirecTivo boxes (second generation). After the last software updated the box restarts a lot, so entering the code on the remote control doesn't last long. We finally gave up and just use regular fast forward. We are liking the ability to schedule recordings online. This will come in handy while on vacation.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fern,

It's really more of an undocumented feature.

All TiVos accept that code (S-P-S-3-0-S), only they finally made the 30 second skip feature stick across power resets in later versions of the non direct-tivo software.

-David

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I realized that it actually was an " undocumented feature" after my second response. S-P-S-3-0-S is indeed how I set it. I guess I must run old, old software (which works fine for me) cause it falls out every time I connect to update. I don't know what version of the software I am using (I could look, I know), cause it works, so I don't care. I *do* have folders, so I did update somewhat from what it came with.

Fern

Fern,

It's really more of an undocumented feature.

All TiVos accept that code (S-P-S-3-0-S), only they finally made the 30 second skip feature stick across power resets in later versions of the non direct-tivo software.

-David

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't remember which version made it stick, but I doubt if you'll get that version on the DirecTivo. (Same as with my old S1 standalones, which I eventually retired, but you don't really have that option with the D Tivo.)

-David

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
My tivo kept calling in during the day and screwing up my phone calls, so I connected the two tivos I have via computer cable. It was so simple it was laughable! I love it now.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
My tivo kept calling in during the day and screwing up my phone calls, so I connected the two tivos I have via computer cable. It was so simple it was laughable! I love it now.

That's true for all current TiVos, but not for the original S1 or DirecTiVo. They didn't come with built-in network ports or USB ports that could accept a network adapter. Still, for the S1, you could add a network card if you wanted to open the box and hack the software, but it wasn't laughably easy.

With all models, if you pick up the phone when TiVo is using it, it will disconnect the call. It also checks if the phone line is in use before attempting to make a call. Certainly, connecting it over the network is the better method, but I don't see why it was screwing up your phone calls.

-David

Last edited:

Art4th

TUG Member
Reaction score
But now its done. I can breathe easily for another year and a half or so (this is only the second time I've ever done this).
Don't believe anybody who tells you it has to be connected all the time.
Fern

Fern,
I have CATV and not DirectTV, but how can you download a year-and-a-half of programming? I only get two weeks at a time. The shows that will be on next year haven't even been created yet. What am I missing?

Art

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Art,
The programming guide comes as a download from the dish, not from the the phone. The guide updates itself every morning (or every few, I'm not sure) about 2:30 AM. All I get by connecting to the phone line is software updates.

I don't know if your system works the same or not.

Fern

Art4th

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK...that makes sense. Mine is always connected to my wireless network so all the programming and software updates come once a day.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Art,
The programming guide comes as a download from the dish, not from the the phone. The guide updates itself every morning (or every few, I'm not sure) about 2:30 AM. All I get by connecting to the phone line is software updates.

I don't know if your system works the same or not.

Fern

I think a lot of the software updates come down via the dish now. Though they may need to call to initiate it.