• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Barony Platinum $34,900

bshofran

Reaction score
Hi, I just returned from Barony HHI where we decided to buy a Platinum week. I went in with my mind made up to not purchase and walked out buying it. I know that everyone will say get rid of it as I am still in the 5 day window, but what will I really pay for a two bedroom Platinum oceanside thru resale. How much hassel is it to do this resale, all I ever see is all the discussion about the Rofr. We got 200,000 points with the deal. Thanks !

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just returned from Barony HHI where we decided to buy a Platinum week.....

First of all, I won't join the "rescind now" barrage that, as you have already determined, is about to come.

It's a personal decision and it boils down to 3 questions in my mind.

1) Are you 100% settled that Barony is where you want to own and plan repeat visits? (I.e..You are a frequent Hilton Head visitor and you are well enough informed that Barony Beach is the resort at which you want to be.)

2) Do you really want and will you use the POINTS?

3) Would you say that the additional $10-15K ( someone can check me on this as I haven't been in the mkt recently) more that you paid does not meaningfully impact your personal financial disposition?

If you can "YES" to all three questions, then I say enjoy your week and maybe we will see you around the pool next year!

If you answered "YES" to the first, but "NO" to #2 or #3, then I offer the following Point of Fact:

"IF" you choose to rescind and buy resale, it's really not that big of a hassle to buy secondary -- lots of supply-- and if you buy at or above a reasonable ROFR level, then you should be ok and can save you thousands. Use a reputable Marriott resale broker and the process should go smoothly ( albeit take longer than through Marriott)

There are those that will chant that you should never buy from a developer...not a very helpful perspective without considering individual perspectives.

I own both resale and developer weeks and all have been great decisions for us personally ( although I personally should have bought both my HH Marriotts at the same resort.)

Good Luck,
Cheryl

Last edited:

dmaxdmax

Reaction score
If you're having serious questions why not rescind and take a week or 2 to do some homework? You can always go back and buy again. Marriott isn't going to raise the price because you offended them. ;)

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're having serious questions why not rescind and take a week or 2 to do some homework? You can always go back and buy again. Marriott isn't going to raise the price because you offended them. ;)

It's true, there is certainly no harm in that action ( other than hassle factor). I can't imagine they are raising prices significantly in this market.

bshofran

Reaction score
Barony Platinum

First of all, I won't join the "rescind now" barrage that, as you have already determined, is about to come.

It's a personal decision and it boils down to 3 questions in my mind.

1) Are you 100% settled that Barony is where you want to own and plan repeat visits? (I.e..You are a frequent Hilton Head visitor and you are well enough informed that Barony Beach is the resort at which you want to be.)

2) Do you really want and will you use the POINTS?

3) Would you say that the additional $10-15K ( someone can check me on this as I haven't been in the mkt recently) more that you paid does not meaningfully impact your personal financial disposition?

If you can "YES" to all three questions, then I say enjoy your week and maybe we will see you around the pool next year!

If you answered "YES" to the first, but "NO" to #2 or #3, then I offer the following Point of Fact:

"IF" you choose to rescind and buy resale, it's really not that big of a hassle to buy secondary -- lots of supply-- and if you buy at or above a reasonable ROFR level, then you should be ok and can save you thousands. Use a reputable Marriott resale broker and the process should go smoothly ( albeit take longer than through Marriott)

There are those that will chant that you should never buy from a developer...not a very helpful perspective without considering individual perspectives.

I own both resale and developer weeks and all have been great decisions for us personally ( although I personally should have bought both my HH Marriotts at the same resort.)

Good Luck,
Cheryl

Thanks for all of the info. I loved Barony as did my husband and 3 kids. I could definately spend a week there no problem! I knew that when I returned home I would be questioning the price. I need someone to give me the name of a reputable resale company or individual that I can check this price against. I will feel much better when I know the comparison price for certian. If I buy resale soon will I be able to use it next summer? Thanks in advance!
Michelle

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Michelle,

FWIW, there is a Platinum Oceanside Barony unit on Redweek.com with asking price of $23,500 (most people feel you can negotiate). Most units on Redweek.com are FSBO. One drawback to Redweek is that most listings don't provide complete information, i.e. view (oceanfront, oceanside, garden at properties that price that way), week or season, etc. You would have contact the lister to find out more details.

You should check out the Right of First Refusal (ROFR) database for Barony. It shows that a Platinum oceanside unit passed ROFR at $19,200 (posted 5/16/08). The price Marriott exercises their ROFR is a moving target, but at least this gives you an idea. Here's the website link:

http://dioxide45.tripod.com/rofr.html

Buying re-sale definitely takes more work on your part, but in some cases the savings can be substantial.

If this was your first time at a timeshare presentation, I would definitely rescind, take a step back and do your research, especially here on TUG. There is a lot more to using your TS successfully than the sales people lead you to believe. If after your research you still want to buy from Marriott, they'll always be there ready to make the sale.

BTW, how many points did they say you would get if you turn it in for points rather than use in a particular year? My brother bought a platinum unit (garden) at pre-construction and he gets 125,000 points. Just curious if they have lowered the point value since then.

Last edited:

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Hi, I just returned from Barony HHI where we decided to buy a Platinum week. I went in with my mind made up to not purchase and walked out buying it. I know that everyone will say get rid of it as I am still in the 5 day window, but what will I really pay for a two bedroom Platinum oceanside thru resale. How much hassel is it to do this resale, all I ever see is all the discussion about the Rofr. We got 200,000 points with the deal. Thanks !

One other thing. Barony has been sold out for awhile so you are actually buying a resale but thru Marriott with all the points perks. The unit Marriott is selling you is a unit they either bought back, or are selling for an owner and taking a 40% commission on, or got at a low price thru ROFR. They are now re-selling at full price. Gotta love it.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

If you had said you received 400K+ points then I would say the "value" delta between direct and resale would be less than $5000. With just 200k the value delta is more like $10,000.

I'm surprised the incentive wasn't more. The last offer I received about 3 months ago was over 400K. This was not specifically Barony so maybe it was resort specific.

Regards
Joe

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
Thanks for all of the info. I loved Barony as did my husband and 3 kids. I could definately spend a week there no problem! I knew that when I returned home I would be questioning the price. I need someone to give me the name of a reputable resale company or individual that I can check this price against. I will feel much better when I know the comparison price for certian. If I buy resale soon will I be able to use it next summer? Thanks in advance!
Michelle

I've never used him, but a lot of people recommend Seth Nock. http://www.sellingtimeshares.net/ - Seth Nock (212)677-7636
or email to seth@sellingtimeshares.net

bshofran

Reaction score
Barony Platinum

Michelle,

FWIW, there is a Platinum Oceanside Barony unit on Redweek.com with asking price of $23,500 (most people feel you can negotiate). Most units on Redweek.com are FSBO. One drawback to Redweek is that most listings don't provide complete information, i.e. view (oceanfront, oceanside, garden at properties that price that way), week or season, etc. You would have contact the lister to find out more details.

You should check out the Right of First Refusal (ROFR) database for Barony. It shows that a Platinum oceanside unit passed ROFR at $19,200 (posted 5/16/08). The price Marriott exercises their ROFR is a moving target, but at least this gives you an idea. Here's the website link:

http://dioxide45.tripod.com/cgi-bin/rofr.cgi

Buying re-sale definitely takes more work on your part, but in some cases the savings can be substantial.

If this was your first time at a timeshare presentation, I would definitely rescind, take a step back and do your research, especially here on TUG. There is a lot more to using your TS successfully than the sales people lead you to believe. If after your research you still want to buy from Marriott, they'll always be there ready to make the sale.

BTW, how many points did they say you would get if you turn it in for points rather than use in a particular year? My brother bought a platinum unit (garden) at pre-construction and he gets 125,000 points. Just curious if they have lowered the point value since then.

They said it is worth 125,000 points if you turn it in. This is one thing that I was interested in. Is 125K typically enough to get you a hotel stay thru Marriott in an area where there are no Villas. Does your brother always go the HHI or does he trade that one? I am interested in the trading option as we have 3 small children and would like to try a few places. I am also now wondering if it smart to rent a week at a villa a few more times before we buy? I see most go for under 2k a week. Thanks for you insight!

dmiller1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Developer v. Resale

We used Hilton Head Timeshare Resales when we purchased our Marriott Timeshare. Deborah was the person that we worked with and we found her very knowledgeable and helpful. The phone number is 800-407-0575.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
They said it is worth 125,000 points if you turn it in. This is one thing that I was interested in. Is 125K typically enough to get you a hotel stay thru Marriott in an area where there are no Villas. Does your brother always go the HHI or does he trade that one? I am interested in the trading option as we have 3 small children and would like to try a few places. I am also now wondering if it smart to rent a week at a villa a few more times before we buy? I see most go for under 2k a week. Thanks for you insight!

Here's the link to the Marriott reward chart.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/pointsGridPopUp.mi?awardType=Standard

They have 3 levels for awards (similar to all the airlines). More points for anytime awards. You can be the judge. Depends on where you want to go and time of year if award rooms are available and at what level. You also mentioned that you have 3 children. Remember you will all be in 1 room unless you reserve 2 rooms or book a suite. Also there is a $104 charge to turn your unit in for points. So you will be paying your maintenance fee + $104 to stay in a hotel room. You might have to save up to get that hotel you really want. Other ways to get additional Marriott Reward points are to have a Marriott Visa credit card (the Premier one which is black), and you can also buy 50,000 points per year per person.

My brother has turned his unit in for points in the past mainly because he changed jobs and his vacation time was severely restricted when he could take off.

Renting is not a bad idea to find out how you like timesharing. With 3 small children a 2 bedroom timeshare is ideal and you will be able to trade to other timeshares especially Marriotts.

Last edited:

bshofran

Reaction score
Barony Platinum

We used Hilton Head Timeshare Resales when we purchased our Marriott Timeshare. Deborah was the person that we worked with and we found her very knowledgeable and helpful. The phone number is 800-407-0575.

Thanks - I saw their ad in one of the travel guides we got when we were in HHI. I will see what she has to say. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks like Seth has several listed on myresortnetwork.com that you could probably get for about $20,000. Also could consider that somewhere around $30k you could probably get a resale Ocean front Platinum.

PBS

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will love Barony no matter whether you buy resale or from Marriott and you are close enough to drive there every year. No worry about expensive airplane tickets for the 5 of you. With three small children you definitely want platinum time so you can go during their school vacations for many years.

bshofran

Reaction score
Barony Platinum

Looks like Seth has several listed on myresortnetwork.com that you could probably get for about $20,000. Also could consider that somewhere around $30k you could probably get a resale Ocean front Platinum.

PBS

Have you ever used Seth? What kind of outside charges are added to the transaction ? Thanks!

sernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone rescinded before? How does that process work?

I rescinded a Surfwatch a few years ago. It was a very simple process and I followed the instructions in the paperwork. Below is a copy of the letter I sent, obviously the addresses and account numbers will be different. I have never, not once, regretted rescinding. I earn a ton of Marriott points through work-related travel, have traveled using points, and the points option is simply not worth an additional $15,000. I won't tell you to rescind, but you need to decide if convenience of buying through Marriott is simply worth the large differential.

Marriott Ownership Resorts, Inc.
Manager, Sales Administration
P.O. Box 6959
Hilton Head, SC 29938

VIA CERTIFIED MAIL :________________________

RE: Time Sharing Interest No: xxxx-x-xx

Dear Sir or Madam:
Please be advised that, in accordance with the terms of our Contract for Purchase dated xx/xx/20xx (re: Time Sharing Interest No: xxxx-x-xx in Surfwatch Horizontal Property Regime), we are exercising our right of rescission and are canceling the contract.
Sincerely,
sernow

bshofran

Reaction score
Barony Platinum

Thanks so much- I just signed the letter and will mail in the morning. I do feel better about the whole thing. Now hope to find a good resale in the next year!!

laxmom

Reaction score
Michelle

Saundra Mock at Timeshare Wholesalers was terrific to work with.

We fell in love with HHI and Barony on our first visit also. 6 years later and we still love it! Tough decision though. We bought before we knew about TUG and the resale market. Good luck with your decision.

Just saw your post. And if Marriott uses ROFR, try, try again!! It'll happen!

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
bshofran,

I would fedex it signature required. This way it is time stamped. VIP expecially with the 4th holiday!

I love Barony myself and have been there 3 times. It will be my next purchase. And yes with small ones I would buy Platinum then there are no trade hassles.

sernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
No to FedEx! It's likely being sent to a post office box. Follow the directions in your paperwork. I sent mine certified mail, return receipt requested. This is all you need to do to satisfy the requirement.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
No to FedEx! It's likely being sent to a post office box. Follow the directions in your paperwork. I sent mine certified mail, return receipt requested. This is all you need to do to satisfy the requirement.

You can send it delivery confirmation, but the requirement to rescind is fulfilled once the post office post marks it, not when it is delivered.

dr.debs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the middle of two ebay resale purchases. I think there is significant hassel factor-esp with ebay purchases. Sellers phone numbers or contact info is out of date title companies voice mails are full, emails aren't returned, reservations won't be made for 90 days until the process is over. There is always a little nagging question in my mind about the legitimacy of the offer, and sending monies through the internet. With small dollar purchases I was less shakey. With the higher dollar weeks, I have more anxiety,as they are beyond the buyers protection of both ebay and paypal.

I think the hassell factor is real but less tangible than the clear discrepancy between prices resale vs developer. Not having purchased from a developer before, I can't speak to the ease of that kind of transaction.