• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Auto Remote Start-Which one and why?

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Interested in a remote start for my Honda Accord for XMAS. What should I buy and why? I need it installed professionally.

MILOIOWA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure about Hondas, but for Fords I would buy nothing but a Ford Factory system. The reason? Because if you buy an aftermarket system, and already have remote keyless entry on your vehicle, you will then have 2 remotes on your keychain. With the factory system the remote start remote will control both the door lock function as well as the remote starter function so you will still only need the one remote. Not to mention it is designed for the specific vehicle and will be much less likely to ever cause any issues. I can only asume Honda has a similar system.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Viper worked great for 2 of our GMC Yukon's. These are not do it yourself installs. You need to have a professional install it.

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interested in a remote start for my Honda Accord for XMAS. What should I buy and why? I need it installed professionally.

How old a Honda.? I would check with Honda first. If it is 3 years old or less, anything you add may cxl. the wty. When I wanted to add something to my 4 Runner, I was told no good. It would cxl. wty.

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Honda is an 04 EX and under extended warranty. I thought about warranty in jeopardy if installed by anyone else.
Funny thing is it had a remote aftermarket that Honda disconnected prior to me buying because Honda did not install it. I would have never known except the remote was on the keychain. I bought a lease vehicle.

My son mentioned the Viper but we have not researched it yet.

I was at a Honda dealer last night and there are 6 types,about $500. Not sure if that is installed. A bit pricey.

Last edited:

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's worth it (in my opinion) to pay more for a starter installed from a (Honda) dealer if you'll be able to keep it under warranty. I picked a specific dealer when I bought my 06 Acura because as a dealer installation option at time of purchase, it would be covered by the same 4yr/50k mile factory warranty.

I didn't have any problems with the aftermarket installation on my previous car (an 02 Toyota), but remote starters tie into just about every major electrical system, if there's ever an electrical gremlin in your car, you might always have to fight them that it's not the remote starter.

Jeff

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This has been on my wish list for awhile now. I leave for work very early in the AM. In the winter when my car is sooo cold and frost is on the windshields (DH has garage filled with work stuff so my van won't fit :wall: ) I dream of being able to stay in my house and push a button to start my car/heater/defroster. I went to check them out and they wanted $600 to install it :eek: I just can't get myself to fork that out for my comfort.

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's pricey. I think my Acura dealer probably charged upwards of $450 for the installation: I thought the price was supposed to be $449 installed, but at sale time, it became $499, and I doubt the remote was more than $50 (well, maybe the transponder (? - what simulates the key being present) could be another $50).
You might try to negotiate with the repair shop manager. Unlike almost all other work, which has known hourly times associated with them, I doubt there's anything in concrete for a remote starter installation. If you can find some quotes from local installers, you might say, "They average around $325 for installation, how about you do it for $475?" That's still a decent profit for them, especially if the alternative is to lose a $600 sale.

Also, in terms of remote starter features, some of them have buttons for 'auxiliary channels', basically remote switches. You make consider one of these so that you could have it hooked up to the defroster switch(es), that way you can turn them on remotely as well.

Jeff

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's pricey. I think my Acura dealer probably charged upwards of $450 for the installation: I thought the price was supposed to be $449 installed, but at sale time, it became $499, and I doubt the remote was more than $50 (well, maybe the transponder (? - what simulates the key being present) could be another $50).
You might try to negotiate with the repair shop manager. Unlike almost all other work, which has known hourly times associated with them, I doubt there's anything in concrete for a remote starter installation. If you can find some quotes from local installers, you might say, "They average around $325 for installation, how about you do it for $475?" That's still a decent profit for them, especially if the alternative is to lose a $600 sale.

Also, in terms of remote starter features, some of them have buttons for 'auxiliary channels', basically remote switches. You make consider one of these so that you could have it hooked up to the defroster switch(es), that way you can turn them on remotely as well.

Jeff

Swift, It seems I have been good too. Santa has sent us some great temps. The temp here today was 78. Will be warm all week. People are on :cheer: the beach. I think I will pass on a remote starter.

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
I spoke with the Honda service advisor who gave me the name of the place they have the remotes installed. He said it would not void the warranty. I am going to email the service manager to see if he says the same thing and then I will have it in writing.

Although I love this feature I do not want to spend $500 for it. We are having our garage doors fixed this week with new door openers so my car will be out of the snow at home. I really wanted a remote start for the commute home from the office.

Bobcat-we are having icy weather and 20 degree temps all week. I am very jealous 78 is my kind of weather.