• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Retro advice

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
Anyone have a link / reference to a reasonable sales person at Vistana who could potentially discuss retro'ing a post-Aug 2022 sale of a voluntary (or mandatory) week?

Want to discuss if we can get it in writing that the retro'd unit will be able to participate in Abound.

Ckhawaii

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Tower HGVC
Westin Lagunamar plat 2bd 3x
Westin Aventuras
I sent you a dm with a sales guy I’ve worked with retroing in twice with Westin over the last 3 years.

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is retro-ing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ckhawaii

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Tower HGVC
Westin Lagunamar plat 2bd 3x
Westin Aventuras
What is retro-ing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Retroing is basically bringing in a resale westin/Sheraton week into the developer system. For example I originally bought 2 lagunamar platnium lockoffs on the resale market. I then “retroed” them in with the developer for with a retail purchase so they could be part of the vsn network and have StarOptions. Now I also have access to Abound. Lagunamar is a voluntary resort so I basically went from having a Westin timeshare in Cancun to use there (or put in interval) to having access to the star option system

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
another term often used is to "requalify" the weeks into the VSN system.

The non-mandatory contracts, when resold on the secondary market lose their eligibility to the VSN (and Abound) system. To retro or to requalify is to bring back their eligibility into the system, often done buy buying something else from the developers.

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK, an update here on the story....

I found a 148K HomeOption EOY Nanea resale for a decent price. Working with a reasonable agent to buy 30K further developer WestinFlex HomeOptions to retro both the new Nanea resale as well as an existing WKORV/N week that we have.

The developer contract / paperwork should have something about enrolling the soon-to-be-two-resale weeks in VSN, right?

ScarletD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Celica7101 - Do you mind sharing what the maintenance fees will be for the 30K developer WestinFlex HomeOptions that you are working on buying in order to requalify?

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Celica7101 - Do you mind sharing what the maintenance fees will be for the 30K developer WestinFlex HomeOptions that you are working on buying in order to requalify?
I think like $650? Not too crazy.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, an update here on the story....

I found a 148K HomeOption EOY Nanea resale for a decent price. Working with a reasonable agent to buy 30K further developer WestinFlex HomeOptions to retro both the new Nanea resale as well as an existing WKORV/N week that we have.

The developer contract / paperwork should have something about enrolling the soon-to-be-two-resale weeks in VSN, right?
Your Wkorv/N unit is already a Mandatory unit and should be in VSN with staroption usage. Requalifying it does not have many benefits. But you may know that already

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
correct. I was not referring to that. Probably could have just retro-ed the Nanea for less $$

Yup. I thought it might help in getting all the accounts unified if I were getting enough to enroll all 3. And small benefits to full retro on the wkorvn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KangarooTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you able to retro by purchasing weeks or is it all Westin Flex / Abound Points now?

I can see the appeal of buying a Lagunamar or Kierland week to retro multiple weeks vs points.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Are you able to retro by purchasing weeks or is it all Westin Flex / Abound Points now?

I can see the appeal of buying a Lagunamar or Kierland week to retro multiple weeks vs points.
I think the only weeks they still sell are WSJ and oceanfront in Maui. Not sure they are selling weeks anywhere else.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My owner update from a year ago, they were selling WKV gold weeks. The salesperson said their salespeople snapped up every platinum week that came in for themselves.

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Kierland gold and platinum weeks were still available. But it was not the most cost efficient way to get to the $10k or $15k minimum threshold.

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
My owner update from a year ago, they were selling WKV gold weeks. The salesperson said their salespeople snapped up every platinum week that came in for themselves.
This is what I was told in October at WKV

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
My goal wouldn't be to get Abound. I have Marriott weeks now that would entice me to Abound with a purchase, but MF ratio is not great for any of my weeks, however.

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So our Nanea deed has been recorded and the transfer paperwork was sent to Vistana.

How long are we looking at for them to update the owner records? 45-60 days? I've seen 30 but that seems a bit optimistic.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The 30 days you have seen may have been 30 business days...

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Kierland gold and platinum weeks were still available. But it was not the most cost efficient way to get to the $10k or $15k minimum threshold.

You may be right that you have the "most economical" way to retro for what you own, but there are multiple things to consider when doing this type of transaction, not just the upfront cost or minimum threshold.

In particular, since developer prices may as well be pulled out of thin air, one should consider the amount of equity that you are immediately losing and also the ongoing maintenance fees. For example (using some hypothetical numbers):

Option 1: 30K Flexoptions purchase for $15K and maintenance fees of $650. Current resale value of purchase approximately $0

Option 2: WKV Platinum small 1BR worth 67K Staroptions purchase for $25K maintenance fees for $800. Current resale value of purchase approximately $8000.

Comaring the above options, one costs $15K upfront and the other costs $25K. But when you consider that the second option has a resale value of $8K and the first one has a resale value of zero, then they don't look that far apart anymore (in terms of the "equity value" you lost to accomplish retro). But in the second option you end up with more than double the Staroptions, double the Abound points, and maintenance fees that are substantially more economical per point.

Again, some of these numbers are made up as I don't know what they are selling and at what price but if I was going to requalify 2 weeks then, given the choice between these two options, I would pick the second one over the first.

Last edited:

ScarletD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Along the lines of the point that DanCali makes - I don't understand what it really looks like to get rid of a Flexoptions purchase (such as the one outlined in DanCali's option 1 scenario). My question is specific to some date in the distant future when the owner of these Flexoptions decides that they no longer want them and their associated maintenance fees. I can imagine what it would look like to put the WKV platinum 1 BR (or DanCali's option 2) on the resale market. Can someone please help me to understand what re-sell (or otherwise "getting rid of") option 1 will likely actually look like?