• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Got into conversation with someone hogging 6 chairs and 4 stools

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
I was by the pool at 7:45am. Almost all the chairs with shade were gone with only towels on them. Found the last 2 with the umbrella. I was looking for a stool for 15 minutes and found 4 stools were together and no one there with towels on the chairs. I took 1 and someone was yelling from my back. A family having breakfast on their lanai on 2nd floor yelling at me said it’s their stool. I talked back said there are 4 there and nothing on it, then ignore them.

The father just came down and wanted to take the stool back. I said if you touch my phone and my drink on it, I will call police. I then talked to security, they said I’m good and they will watch these chairs and will remove in 30 minutes. Crazy people!!!

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
What resort?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I was by the pool at 7:45am. Almost all the chairs with shade were gone with only towels on them. Found the last 2 with the umbrella. I was looking for a stool for 15 minutes and found 4 stools were together and no one there with towels on the chairs. I took 1 and someone was yelling from my back. A family having breakfast on their lanai on 2nd floor yelling at me said it’s their stool. I talked back said there are 4 there and nothing on it, then ignore them.

The father just came down and wanted to take the stool back. I said if you touch my phone and my drink on it, I will call police. I then talked to security, they said I’m good and they will watch these chairs and will remove in 30 minutes. Crazy people!!!
Good for you!

PS If this is WKORVN I wasn't aware they had stools, just side tables. I hope you haven't been sitting on/putting your feet where I put my drinks ;)

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes it’s side table. I just left from Ko Olina, they have round table looks like stool. So I kept that in mind.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

So I'm dying to know, did this rude family ever come down and sit in the chairs that they put their towels on? I tend to get to get very testy with these types of situations happen to me.

A few years back I was at a resort in AZ and got down to the pool the first day at 8:00am with chairs and loungers saved everywhere with towels and no guest in sight. I grabbed two loungers and two chairs for our party of four and took the towels over to the towel area and explained the situation and they said I was fine to do what I did, 3 hours later some folks came over and asked us to get up as we were sitting in there chairs, I calmly explained that if these were indeed their chairs I would be sitting on them vs them standing and chatting with me and since we had been here for 3+ hours and they were nowhere in sight these were not there chairs, the older man got testy with me and stated he was calling security and I told him feel free to do so. When security arrived, lo and behold it was the gentleman who I gave their towels to 3 hours before.

Once he saw me, he waved, asked how I was doing and if I was enjoying our stay and then he turned to the older gentleman who brought him over and said, sir this is not a security issue, but rather is an issue of someone thinking they can save a set of chairs for hours with towels and expect them to be there whenever you decided to show up. This is not how it works.

This group then left with the older gentleman shouting and cursing. So sad, to be so entitled that you feel you can save chairs and show up hours later

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
So I'm dying to know, did this rude family ever come down and sit in the chairs that they put their towels on? I tend to get to get very testy with these types of situations happen to me.

A few years back I was at a resort in AZ and got down to the pool the first day at 8:00am with chairs and loungers saved everywhere with towels and no guest in sight. I grabbed two loungers and two chairs for our party of four and took the towels over to the towel area and explained the situation and they said I was fine to do what I did, 3 hours later some folks came over and asked us to get up as we were sitting in there chairs, I calmly explained that if these were indeed their chairs I would be sitting on them vs them standing and chatting with me and since we had been here for 3+ hours and they were nowhere in sight these were not there chairs, the older man got testy with me and stated he was calling security and I told him feel free to do so. When security arrived, lo and behold it was the gentleman who I gave their towels to 3 hours before.

Once he saw me, he waved, asked how I was doing and if I was enjoying our stay and then he turned to the older gentleman who brought him over and said, sir this is not a security issue, but rather is an issue of someone thinking they can save a set of chairs for hours with towels and expect them to be there whenever you decided to show up. This is not how it works.

This group then left with the older gentleman shouting and cursing. So sad, to be so entitled that you feel you can save chairs and show up hours later
Good on you!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
In the title, conversation or confrontation?

For us, chairs no longer seem to matter as much. Sure, it is nice to have a place to throw our junk while we are in the pool, but since my wife has a wheelchair, we usually just toss our stuff on that, or if we can find a single empty chair somewhere we just use that. For whatever reason we don't seem to be loungers anymore. We are either in the pool or only out of it long enough to get dried off. Or we are in the hot tub. We'll take the chair in the sun or no chair at all since we aren't in it for very long anyway.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They did come down right after and starred at us few times first few minutes. I ignored them and just minded my business since they were far away from us.

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
My DH got into this issue with another guest at WKORV-N in January. He would go to the pool each morning at 4 (we're on CA time and he begins work at 6 am) to grab 2 lounges and do work on his computer; there is always one of us sitting there the entire time. On morning two of our stay at 4 am, no lounges under umbrellas were available with ocean views. He took another lounge and kept his eye out for people returning to their 'saved' lounges. After 2 hours, not a single party had returned, so he selected 2 lounges in the front row and moved the towels. Of course the guilty party blew a gasket when they finally came back at 8 am. The Pool Activity Manager wanted to be helpful, but clearly wanted to defer to the GM of the property. Guilty party insisted on calling security as he accused DH of moving his 'property' and DH stated correctly that the towels were in fact the property of the resort, not the guests, so security backed down. DH had a pleasant conversation with resort management who agreed he was in the right to move ANY belongings after an hour to the Pool Activity kiosk. Guilty party and partner glared at us all day and tried to get me involved in the fight; I refused to engage. Bottom line is that the Pool Activity manager and staff became MUCH more proactive in setting out signs stating the 1 hour rule, tagging chairs after an hour, etc. Everyone on the pool deck was happy with the stepped-up enforcement. The sense of entitlement of these a+*hats never ceases to amaze me.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
When I was there in February, I watched from my room as each morning one person went out and 'towelled' all of the front facing chairs at the south property and left them vacant for hours. one morning I observed an individual pull other chairs from behind them and placed them in front of the empty reserved chairs. since there was nobody there, nobody could complain. I laughed and wonder what the hoggers thought when they arrived and their stuff hadn;t been touched, but they lost their front row.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
...On morning two of our stay at 4 am, no lounges under umbrellas were available with ocean views...
Holy cow! That is just insane! I own at WKORVN, and have always hated the pool seating there. The pool deck is way too small for the number of guests, so staff needs to stop the entitled jerks who reserve chairs in the wee hours of the morning for a few hours of use later in the day. We've had to leave our towels on the concrete while we swim with the kids, while all the lounge chairs in sight are occupied by towels and books.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Holy cow! That is just insane! I own at WKORVN, and have always hated the pool seating there. The pool deck is way too small for the number of guests, so staff needs to stop the entitled jerks who reserve chairs in the wee hours of the morning for a few hours of use later in the day. We've had to leave our towels on the concrete while we swim with the kids, while all the lounge chairs in sight are occupied by towels and books.
That's why we bring our own chairs and plop them on the grass. I don't want to ruin my trip worrying about getting chairs but when there's a crew with us it's more of an issue. In the afternoon chairs free up so we hit the beach 1st

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
This year our room was near the beach and beach pool at the VDP. I would watch people come down and towel as many chairs as they wanted. On Monday morning the staff was out removing towels at 8 am and placing a sign that there is no reserving chairs.

Bill

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
This year our room was near the beach and beach pool at the VDP. I would watch people come down and towel as many chairs as they wanted. On Monday morning the staff was out removing towels at 8 am and placing a sign that there is no reserving chairs.

Bill
That is exactly how resorts should handle it. We aren't really pool people so it rarely affects us but why people think that they can take all of those seats that could be used by others is beyond me.

Bill4728

Reaction score
When we were in Ko Olina in Jan of this year The resort had several staff which walked around the pool deck and tagged any chair with towels but no people. After 1/2 hour of the tag, they remove the towels and freed the chairs.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
When we were in Ko Olina in Jan of this year The resort had several staff which walked around the pool deck and tagged any chair with towels but no people. After 1/2 hour of the tag, they remove the towels and freed the chairs.
FREEDOM!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Gulf Point Naples many years ago. A family had a unit and rest of family stayed nearby. They grabbed majority of pool chairs and beach chairs all day. Yep, hogged two chairs each at a very small resort.

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
I'm so glad we're not pool people. We have a pool to sit beside in our backyard. While on vacation, we're out and about, seeing the sights, hiking, snorkeling, engaging in cultural awareness ... always on the go, and drama free!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are not pool people. You are on a vacation to enjoy time around a pool in the sun with family and friends. This is so sad, its happen all the time at hotels, timeshare resorts and on cruise ships and sometimes I feel the only way to solved this problem is to rent pool chairs starting at 7AM dally with a time limit; unattended pool chairs will be returned to the pool supply storage area under lock & key. Suggestion only.

I'm afraid one day someone is going to be killed over a pool chair.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Good on you!
@davidvel , thanks normally I'm not that bitchy, but I had my aunt and uncle with me on this trip and they are in ther 80"s and could not stand for long periods of time. My aunt loves to play euchre so the four us were playing for hours down at the pool in a shaded area when this group finally showed up 3 hours later...

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Thank goodness this never happens at our home resort Maui Hill. There are always plenty of chairs available by the pool.