• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question: Marriott Maui Lahaina/Napili 3BR units

Alwaystravelling

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui ocean club, Marriott shadow ridge, Westin Kaanapali villas, Hyatt San Antonio, Williamsburg Plantation, Ocean Landings
Are all these 3 BR units at Marriott Maui Lahaina and Napili Towers lockoff units? I hope so..........

Alwaystravelling

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui ocean club, Marriott shadow ridge, Westin Kaanapali villas, Hyatt San Antonio, Williamsburg Plantation, Ocean Landings
I spoke with the resort. All 3BR units in Maui are lockoff. I needed to make sure because we rented a 3BR unit from an owner and wanted to make sure that 2 separate familys or groups could travel and share the reservation.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I spoke with the resort. All 3BR units in Maui are lockoff. I needed to make sure because we rented a 3BR unit from an owner and wanted to make sure that 2 separate familys or groups could travel and share the reservation.
I think all keys will open both rooms through. You could ask for this not to be the case but I'm not sure that'll be an option in this situation.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if on one reservation?
Yes. I did it in 2020 and plan to do it again this April. When I go to Maui and only use half a unit, I will rent the other half but not split it in the Marriott system to save the split fee and then I separate the unit by key and credit card.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Yes. I did it in 2020 and plan to do it again this April. When I go to Maui and only use half a unit, I will rent the other half but not split it in the Marriott system to save the split fee and then I separate the unit by key and credit card.

It may work if you are there occupying one side while renting the other. But it may not work if you rent both sides separately while having one single reservation for the whole 3br lockoff.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It may work if you are there occupying one side while renting the other. But it may not work if you rent both sides separately while having one single reservation for the whole 3br lockoff.
I've never done it under that scenario but know of others that have, at least at the Frenchmans Cove, because this issue just cam up on FB and many said they have done so under one reservation and no lockoff even. I thought that wasn't possible but many said it was. Not sure if its unigue to FC?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know of other situations where it did not work out (not at this resort) so one should be prepared for the possibility as it's likely to depend on who you get at the front desk.

ETA: It's also possible to lock it off later by calling MVC but I also know of situations where that was not allowed also. Granted none of this knowledge is first hand.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know of other situations where it did not work out (not at this resort) so one should be prepared for the possibility as it's likely to depend on who you get at the front desk.

ETA: It's also possible to lock it off later by calling MVC but I also know of situations where that was not allowed also. Granted none of this knowledge is first hand.
Where did it not work out? Marriotts? I was surprised to hear a non LO resort would do it but it seems so based on multiple confirmations. A simple phone call to the resort would confirm.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where did it not work out? Marriotts? I was surprised to hear a non LO resort would do it but it seems so based on multiple confirmations. A simple phone call to the resort would confirm.
I've seen an instance from Surf Club and from Ocean Pointe at the resort. I'm not sure that simply calling the front desk would be 100% simply due to variability between employees. I know I would not want to risk it if trying to rent both sides to groups not acquainted with each other unless I could call MVC and have them actually lock off with different reservation numbers.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen an instance from Surf Club and from Ocean Pointe at the resort. I'm not sure that simply calling the front desk would be 100% simply due to variability between employees. I know I would not want to risk it if trying to rent both sides to groups not acquainted with each other unless I could call MVC and have them actually lock off with different reservation numbers.
That's not what is involved here, because I agree, renting separately without splitting is dicey. In this case, unless I'm mistaken, 1 group rented the unit and they want to split between families within that group, so I think that won't be a problem whatsoever.

At the MOC, I've even split keys and CCs for LOs of exchanges. Again this involved me using half of the unit. In Nov 2020 we traded some 1BDRM MOC units into back to back weeks into 3BDRM MOCs and invited "friends" to use the LOs. We had no problem LO the units with separate keys and CCs even though technically we didn't own these units.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's not what is involved here, because I agree, renting separately without splitting is dicey. In this case, unless I'm mistaken, 1 group rented the unit and they want to split between families within that group, so I think that won't be a problem whatsoever.

At the MOC, I've even split keys and CCs for LOs of exchanges. Again this involved me using half of the unit. In Nov 2020 we traded some 1BDRM MOC units into back to back weeks into 3BDRM MOCs and invited "friends" to use the LOs. We had no problem LO the units with separate keys and CCs even though technically we didn't own these units.
This is true but this is not the owner, they are renting. What we don't know is how much of a problem it would be if this didn't work out, are they acquainted or is this 2 families essentially unknown to each other. The OP didn't give that info even when it was mentioned earlier in the thread. It could be they ended up not needing the entire reservation and either have or were considering subletting one side. If so, I still think it's a huge risk. I do believe there are ways to reduce or eliminate the risk though. Ask the owner to split it and pay the additional fee if there is one (not enrolled). Call the resort and speak to a front desk supervisor getting names if explicitly told it could be done. Communicate with the other party just in case it didn't work out. I know as an owner, I would not be happy if a renter was able to do this without my knowledge or permission.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
I'm thinking of adding a fixed week oceanfront unit in Lahaina tower. Are any of the 2BR units lockoff capable so that I can occupy the 1BR and rent the Studio?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding a fixed week oceanfront unit in Lahaina tower. Are any of the 2BR units lockoff capable so that I can occupy the 1BR and rent the Studio?
Of course you can do that.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Just so you are aware, the 3BR studio is effectively OV, not OF. Still awesome units if you can find the fixed week and floor you want.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
While I agree it’s risky if you’re renting both sides, but if you’re there to speak with a manager if necessary it’s unlikely to be an issue.
Since there was a question about policies at other resorts, while I have not personally done it, I know every time I check in at the Aruba Surf Club I’ve been asked if I wanted the keys keyed for both units, so presumably I could opt to key them separately.
The bigger concern of a single reservation number is that there have been many reports of problems with charges not getting separated properly even when people have requested that and left different credit cards upfront for different sides of units on the same reservation. I don’t have personal experience with it but have seen many reports, so that’s a risk; an annoyance when traveling with a friend but a risk if with a “friend.” If it’s an owned unit if might be worth the lock off fee (free with enrolled weeks) to eliminate the risk of sorting out room charges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDteX

Reaction score
I have a different question about the Napili/Lahaina 3BR rooms. What size beds are in the bedroom with the double beds? Queen? Full? Twin? Can it vary by unit?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a different question about the Napili/Lahaina 3BR rooms. What size beds are in the bedroom with the double beds? Queen? Full? Twin? Can it vary by unit?
There are 2 double beds in the 3rd bedroom- that’s the size.
Double is the same thing as full.

Last edited:

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are 2 double beds in the 3rd bedroom- that’s the size.
Double is the same thing as full.
I could have sworn they were queen beds. Attached is a screenshot from my 3D scan. You can see the 2 beds compared to the King in the lock off. They look like queens to me.

Attachments

• 570AF52A-80EF-4B45-9E19-D47D7FEABBD8.jpeg
    570AF52A-80EF-4B45-9E19-D47D7FEABBD8.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 15

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I could have sworn they were queen beds. Attached is a screenshot from my 3D scan. You can see the 2 beds compared to the King in the lock off. They look like queens to me.
There were 2 doubles in our 2 BR of a 3 BR NAIA in 2018.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
The resort web page says 2 doubles in the 3rd bedroom and kings in the other 2.
Have a look at the site yourself.
Do you think they are wrong?

The fact that @MDteX said “double beds” made me think they were confusing the word double for 2. Double means the same as full size for beds. I didn’t see any Queen beds listed at this resort.

Last edited:

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
This could be a difference between Lahaina and Napili tower. I know Lahaina 3BR is over 1700 sq feet. The 3Br listed on Marriotts site shows 1620 sq feet. Maybe one tower has doubles and the other has queens?

I’m familiar with doubles and fairly confident they are not doubles in Lahaina.

The site also says occupancy of 10. And I know that it holds 12. I. Some cases, they now say it can hold 13 with the sofa bed.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
This could be a difference between Lahaina and Napili tower. I know Lahaina 3BR is over 1700 sq feet. The 3Br listed on Marriotts site shows 1620 sq feet. Maybe one tower has doubles and the other has queens?

I’m familiar with doubles and fairly confident they are not doubles in Lahaina.

The site also says occupancy of 10. And I know that it holds 12. I. Some cases, they now say it can hold 13 with the sofa bed.
@MDteX should probably call if that 6 inches would matter.
A double or queen could both sleep 2.
Interval says 12 maximum occupancy.

Last edited: