• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Colorado ski week question: marijuana smoking at resorts

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I am looking to book a family member next winter probably at Sheraton Steamboat but possibly at another resort. I know Colorado has recreational smoking laws. I know Marriott and Vistana does not allow smoking in units or balconies. Despite that, in SC it isn't unusual to have the smell wafting from a few balconies. Would it be a lot worse in Colorado? Family will not be smoking and does not want more than the usual here and there smell. They normally go to Park City but want to try something new.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Smoking is smoking. If I observed a fellow occupant of a resort smoking, I would happily report them. It doesn't matter what state, or if cannabis is legal there or not. Tobacco is legal in every state, but resorts have the right to charge users hundred$ of dollar$ cleaning fees and reserve the right to evict users.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've spent the last two summers in Sheraton Steamboat, Westin Riverfront, Hyatt Mountain Lodge, Marriott Mountain Valley Lodge, HGVC Valdoro and Grand Lodge on Peak 7 and very rarely smelled smoke of any kind. We had one night in a Marriott motel in Ft Collins where a group of kids were enveloped in a thick cloud of marijuana smoke in the parking lot. Stinky!

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I wouldn't worry about pot smoke at a nice resort. It occasionally happens but not in a Cheech and Chong smoke out way. Many people with money enough to stay at a nice resort are vaping and not lighting up anyway, imo.

Bill

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thanks. I did read one review where someone complained that their hallway was very stinky and asked to be moved to another floor. That was the only one that had that complaint and I wanted to make sure it wasn't a regular thing.

I agree smoking is smoking but people do it on their balconies or in their unit and it is sometimes hard to pinpoint where it is coming from. I've been at Grand Ocean which is not a cheap place and my guess is that it was diagonal above but not sure.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We were at Steamboat this winter and I don't recall any smoking. I am very sensitive and detest the smell of MJ. However we did not use the balcony or open windows due to the snow. Loved Steamboat. Will post photos soon.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
No, not everyone tokes up in CO. :ROFLMAO:

Honestly, we smelled more MJ smoke during our vacation in Hawaii last June (most of it from the balcony) than I have smelled during my many ski vacation stays at Valdoro Lodge in Breckenridge. Sure, there is some, but I haven't noticed it being any more prevalent than other places.

Kurt

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I "get" that the odor can go from balcony to balcony, but if your group is going in the winter, you won't be hanging out on your balcony. So unless someone is dumb enough to smoke in their room and the smell seeps out from under their door, it shouldn't be an issue for you.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I "get" that the odor can go from balcony to balcony, but if your group is going in the winter, you won't be hanging out on your balcony. So unless someone is dumb enough to smoke in their room and the smell seeps out from under their door, it shouldn't be an issue for you.
@vacationtime1 Oh believe me...they ARE dumb enough.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
They are dumb if they are smoking. Why don't they just ingest edibles?

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
We were at a South Florida Wyndham resort in January. I was on the balcony and caught a whif of mj smoke. Looked around and saw a couple going back inside from the balcony. Took this picture (bong and packs of regular cigarettes) and emailed it to the front desk. The guests were evicted and since it was not their first offense, Wyndham may have imposed additional penalties.

20230122_123507.jpg

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW as far as the smell of Marijuana. So far Vegas Hotels have been the worst.
While I was not in a TS I was in a hotel that had No Smoking in the rooms.
Every day I smelled skunk.

Late Summer of 2020... Yes during the pandemic I was at a Marriott hotel in the Cape Cod
area. Smell was coming up between the walls.

Go out on the street. Weed is all over the place.
Now not knocking or targeting Vegas.
The NYC streets are very aromatic as well.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were at a South Florida Wyndham resort in January. I was on the balcony and caught a whif of mj smoke. Looked around and saw a couple going back inside from the balcony. Took this picture (bong and packs of regular cigarettes) and emailed it to the front desk. The guests were evicted and since it was not their first offense, Wyndham may have imposed additional penalties.
Nice job! :clap:

Kurt

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pot's legal here in Washington but burning one down has become tired. Vaping is where it's at. It's easier, cost less, one pen holds 200 hits , it doesn't require a lighter and it doesn't stink. I bet in the next decade vape pens take over.

Bill

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
No, not everyone tokes up in CO. :ROFLMAO:

Honestly, we smelled more MJ smoke during our vacation in Hawaii last June (most of it from the balcony) than I have smelled during my many ski vacation stays at Valdoro Lodge in Breckenridge. Sure, there is some, but I haven't noticed it being any more prevalent than other places.

Kurt
Yes, it's bad on Maui for sure. It's everywhere here.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Pot's legal here in Washington but burning one down has become tired. Vaping is where it's at. It's easier, cost less, one pen holds 200 hits , it doesn't require a lighter and it doesn't stink. I bet in the next decade vape pens take over.

Bill
That's a for sure improvement for bystanders...is popcorn lung from vaping a thing or just an urban legend?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's a for sure improvement for bystanders...is popcorn lung from vaping a thing or just an urban legend?

Prolonged exposure to any lung irritant could cause scaring of the lungs. Asbestos, silica and coal dust all have nick names for the lung damage theses products caused. Popcorn lung is the nick name for the lung scaring workers in a microwave popcorn factory developed from exposure to chemicals used to make popcorn. Vaping can cause bronchitis.

Over use of vape products can cause bronchitis which can lead to lung scaring which can lead to pulmonary fibrosis which can lead to death. When a person over uses any product, be it vape, smoke, pill, powder, drink or food, there is a higher probability of an undesirable health consequence.

Pot vape pens are not something that would give a person a high exposure to these chemicals, imo. A couple of pulls throughout the day doesn't really compare to a factory worker inhaling toxic substances or an e-cig user vaping tobacco all day. That being said, some people don't need a high exposure to have a bad result.

Bill

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bad things happen with black market vapes with questionable additives. Legal vapes and concentrates I get in CO are labeled and tested, another reason for legalization.
If you don't mind me asking (and feel free not to answer), but why vape vs. using edibles? Seems to me edibles can give you the same result w/o the negatives of possible lung damage. Just curious.

Kurt

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you don't mind me asking (and feel free not to answer), but why vape vs. using edibles? Seems to me edibles can give you the same result w/o the negatives of possible lung damage. Just curious.

Kurt

Titration. With a vape or smoke the chemical is taken into the pulmonary system which is a quick result that can be adjusted as wanted by taking another toke to achieve the buzz a person desires. Edibles go through the digestive system first and then the liver where the thc is processed to become an intoxicant. This process isn't immediate often taking 40 minutes and the affect will be the affect as this process can't be added too or subtracted from. Once you know your dose you are good but you will never know for sure until the body processes the thc.

Bill

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Having worked at Steamboat for several years and spending many more seasons (25+) there, smoking is almost nonexistent. When someone is vaping, which is even more rare, it’s clearly visible, sort of like an old time steam locomotive.

Steamboat has a no smoking rule. No clue what any lodging policies are in the town or on mountain except the Steamboat Grand (I own a share) where the no smoking of anything rule is strictly enforced.

Cheers

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
BTW, we just passed 400” at mid mountain today and 500” at the top. Still forecasting more snow with a record season in sight.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat has a no smoking rule.

Many people don't realize that pot is still illegal to possess on Federal Lands. I'm not certain about the ski area around Steamboat Springs but our nearby ski area, White Pass, is on Federal Lands. Even so, it's rare or never happening that a Federal Law enforcement person in our area would be ski-ing down the slopes but fairly common for skiers to go out of bounds to smoke out or drink.

Bill

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard