• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Last-minute reservations point discounts

TAA

Reaction score
I was considering upgrading my MVC to Executive tier. I was told by MVC sales representative that you can call the Executive phone lines within the 30 days prior to a pre-existing reservation and they will return a 25% point credit for the reservation to the point bank from where it originated. I have never heard of using the 25% last-minute reservations point discount in this way. I assumed this benefit was simply a discount for last-minute bookings and did not apply to pre-existing reservations. It seems too good to be true.

Does anybody know if this is true or has experience with this?

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was considering upgrading my MVC to Executive tier. I was told by MVC sales representative that you can call the Executive phone lines within the 30 days prior to a pre-existing reservation and they will return a 25% point credit for the reservation to the point bank from where it originated. I have never heard of using the 25% last-minute reservations point discount in this way. I assumed this benefit was simply a discount for last-minute bookings and did not apply to pre-existing reservations. It seems too good to be true.

Does anybody know if this is true or has experience with this?
This is partially true. Search this forum for the "puck trick". Two things not mentioned in your post that are critical:

1) the exact same dates must be available when you call in within the 30 days prior to a pre-existing reservation;
2) the point credit doesn't go back to the same "point bank" it goes into a holding account for which you are only able to use the points for a last minute reservation within 60 days.

In short, yes, there is some opportunity to "arbitrage" the points discount IF the exact same reservation you already have is still available last minute; effectively you are canceling your pre-existing reservation (which returns all the points to a holding account) and then making a "new" last minute reservation taking advantage of the point discount....leaving you the remaining points to use another time.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
The short answer is No, it is not true.
You have to cancel and rebook.
And points go into holding account.

TAA

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick reply and clarification.

Obviously, the last-minute availability will vary with the demand for the property, but in reality, how often do you end up using the puck trick? Have you found it to be a helpful benefit?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

Obviously, the last-minute availability will vary with the demand for the property, but in reality, how often do you end up using the puck trick? Have you found it to be a helpful benefit?
How helpful would you find having 25% of the points you used in a 60 day holding account expiring on their original date?

If you had a situation where you needed to add a few days to the current trip and knew they were available that would be great. Or lived near an MVC where you could spend the points for a short getaway.
Sounds great, but extra points are not helpful if you can’t use them.

igopogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
To underline Pamplemousse’s point, we live near Tahoe and have flexibility on weekdays. These two facts together mean we can take advantage of last minute discounts, and also use holding points. I haven’t precisely used the puck trick but I did basically the same thing by switching resorts last minute.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
To underline Pamplemousse’s point, we live near Tahoe and have flexibility on weekdays. These two facts together mean we can take advantage of last minute discounts, and also use holding points. I haven’t precisely used the puck trick but I did basically the same thing by switching resorts last minute.

We do the same thing with some of the Florida MVC resorts. We have options as close as 30 minutes from where we live, and Orlando is just a 2.5 hour drive. I don't necessarily "manufacture" restricted points by canceling and rebooking within 60 days, but if I had restricted points for 2 or more nights then I'd find a way to use them somehow. However, if you live in a place with no resorts within driving distance, it's probably a lot tougher because people won't usually spend airfare for 4 for a 2-night trip.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use the puck trick all the time, virtually every reservation using points. Not at Ritz of course. while the cancelled ressie goes into holding, often seen as a dire thing, no big deal as if you are able to use the puck trick most of the time, you use those previous holding account points for the next within 60 days reservation. Just don't use 2023 points for late year 2023 ressie as you won't have much chance to use the holding points. Instead, borrow for late year ressies you might use puck trick for. That way the holding account points go back to their use year.

if we ever have any leftover points near year end (has never happened), we'd probably do a drive to Branson.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Please note

For Executive tier - The discount is at 30 days which means any points saved go into a 60 day holding account.

BUT
For levels above Executive tier
The discount is at 60 days ( and it is 30% discount not 25%) - which means any points saved may go back into your regular account. BUT to do this you must cancel at 61 days then rebook at 60 days. Since you must cancel with a MVC rep this isn't really that easy.

KACTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had an update last week and the rep said that all you have to do is call Customer Service and they will switch it automatically and you get the 30% back into your account. He claimed no cancelling and rebooking, that they will just do it for you. I didn't think that sounded right at all. He didn't mention the holding account either.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had an update last week and the rep said that all you have to do is call Customer Service and they will switch it automatically and you get the 30% back into your account. He claimed no cancelling and rebooking, that they will just do it for you. I didn't think that sounded right at all. He didn't mention the holding account either.

Of course not- he’s trying to sell you more points with the slivers of truth and leaving out the important details.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can confirm that if you call and ask, the will specifically say they are not allowed to do that.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

I would say 90% of my trips using pojnts over the years.